IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

Thanks for the tips Bob, after I took a nap from a completely sleepless last night fooling around with U1MB, I just started up my 800XL and after the cable mod it now seems a lot more stable. Only seen two random characters on screen and after a warm reset they didn't come back so far and it's been at least half an hour.

Here's how my original cable looked after I took it apart. Seems like the edge of the connector crushed the cable possibly because of too much crimping pressure and probably was the reason for screen corrupting when I played with the cable. With new ribbon cable in place it no longer does that,

If the system continues to be this stable in the coming hours and days, I guess I can live with an occasional garbage on the screen so long as it does not otherwise affect other aspects of the machine's operation.

post-15627-0-98043200-1342845876_thumb.jpg

@bob1200xl It is in that way related to the 'birdies' problem I had months ago using an eeprom. The Atari appeared fo work error-free but the screen was full of little stripes blinking.

@atari8warez

Besides what you marked with the yellow circle... is that the original cable that came with the U1MB? What happened there on the left side of the cable?!?! And what all these black spots on this cable?

The cables I received from candle are not cut that strange at the left (non red) side of the cable, and they are all bright and clean.

The cables I received from candle are not cut that strange at the left (non red) side of the cable, and they are all bright and clean.

There are two unused pins on the IDC connector. On my Ultimates, Candle evidently removed the two unused ribbon strands before crimping the cable. On A8's, it would appear he trimmed off the two unused wires after crimping the cable.

@Candle:

an Xacto knife does the trick very easily and nicely trimming excess cable, and for crimping the connectors a small vise-grip plus two small pieces of cardboard to protect the plastic is unbeatable as you can adjust the crimping pressure simply by just squeezing more or less

@Marius:

The last 2 or 3 pins on the OS connection header on the PCB are interconnected and not connected anywhere. The IDC connector used for OS ROM connection on the U1MB board has 30 positions but the OS socket connector only has 28, Candle used a 30 wire ribbon cable so he cut (apparently actually pulled ;-) ) the last to wires because they weren't needed..

Black spots on the cable are dust and dirt particules that naked eye would have difficulty seeing but close-up (macro) photography has no problem capturing ;-). In this particular case they may very well be black plastic dust from my SIO2PC enclosures.

Edited by atari8warez

Another update: Although the screen corruption problem lessened a lot, i just tried I/O today and the machine is still freezing while doing SIO.

Sooooo, I am going to give it another crack with both updated cable and Robert's resistor fix (Puff mod for PHI2 didn't fix the problem) and if it's still broken I will return the 800XL back to stock condition and try the U1MB with my 130XE. On a positive note, the 800XL is now fully socketed.. :)

Edited by atari8warez

Not being able to get a stable operation of U1MB with my 800XL I am now trying my luck with my 130XE. I checked the photos on Candle's site for connections but haven't seen a complete install photo, so I am wondering where exactly did you mount yours. On the first look it seems the best place to mount it is where the RF modulator is. This will of course require removal of the modulator. It looks like I could also mount it, on one leg, hanging over the RAM using the mobo hole that is present there..... So I would like to see how others did. If anyone is generous enough to post their photos it will greatly be appreciated.

Edited by atari8warez

Not my photos, but there are already plenty floating around if one cares to look:

post-21964-0-19006200-1342991624_thumb.jpg

Not the clearest photo, but readily available IC pin-outs should remove any mystery.

I am also interested with the ones that are not floating around... some people have ingenious ways to get around obstacles and I may benefit from their ideas. Also there is no mistery to the the IC pinouts, those I can locate myself. And I am honestly tired of your insinuating comments, why don't you just let it go.....did you really post your photo as a prelude for your comment... I've already thought of removing the RF modulator so your photo doesn't add any new ideas.

• Like 1

I mounted mine right above the RF Modulator in a 130xe, I drilled two holes for the mounting and it fit okay, but you need to shave off part of the left case post ( the "|\" angled part). After doing this it fits perfectly...

Jay

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I don't really want to remove the RF modulator. I just didn't think that it would fit with the additional height but it apparently does. Actually I could have checked that with the cover on, I just forgot that 130XE is different than 800XL where the keyboard is attached to the top cover.... ;-)

EDIT: I guess that's how I will do too. Thanks again..

Edited by atari8warez

Not my photos, but there are already plenty floating around if one cares to look:

Not the clearest photo, but readily available IC pin-outs should remove any mystery.

I am also interested with the ones that are not floating around... some people have ingenious ways to get around obstacles and I may benefit from their ideas. Also there is no mistery to the the IC pinouts, those I can locate myself. And I am honestly tired of your insinuating comments, why don't you just let it go.....did you really post your photo as a prelude for your comment... I've already thought of removing the RF modulator so your photo doesn't add any new ideas.

I think you're seeing insinuation where non exists. Seriously man, someone posts a picture to try and help you out and that's your response ?

:-(

I think you're seeing insinuation where non exists. Seriously man, someone posts a picture to try and help you out and that's your response ?

"If one cares to look"..... I cared for this upgrade more than anything else and saying "if one cares too look" just gets on my nerves, but you're right maybe he didn't insinuate, he simply said it outright.....

Exactly right :) "if one cares to look", means just that, there is a horn o'plenty wealth of information on this site...

I'm still finding loads of new stuff in old threads ;)

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

Not that I know from personal experience, but I read (in these forums) that removing the RF modulator (130XE) loses composite video. Q: 800XL, too?

True but I don't use composite so it's not a problem for me, I just don't want to operate on my computers unless I absolutely have to.

Exactly right :) "if one cares to look", means just that, there is a horn o'plenty wealth of information on this site...

I'm still finding loads of new stuff in old threads ;)

Jay

Jay let's not restart this whole deal once again... I just want to do my upgrade and get over with so I can do other more productive things instead of scouring AA pages for information that must have been under one place for everybody to refer to, to start with.

It's amazing that one of the finest upgrades ever created for atari 8bit keeps overheating AtariAge ;)

I think it has all to do with the fact that this upgrade IS so cool, and people really want it to be operational in their atari.

Anyway... I'm in bed now... it is already far too late again.

I mounted mine right above the RF Modulator in a 130xe, I drilled two holes for the mounting and it fit okay, but you need to shave off part of the left case post ( the "|\" angled part). After doing this it fits perfectly...

Jay

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I don't really want to remove the RF modulator. I just didn't think that it would fit with the additional height but it apparently does. Actually I could have checked that with the cover on, I just forgot that 130XE is different than 800XL where the keyboard is attached to the top cover.... ;-)

EDIT: I guess that's how I will do too. Thanks again..

I have also seen images with upgrade boards, I don't remember what they were, attached to the top of the lower case shroud around the CART/ECI connectors.