IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

So if 4 million E.T. carts were produced, and of that 4 million, 3.5 million were returned then buried, that would leave a maximum of a half million E.T. carts remaining in existence. E.T. seems to be one of the most common carts out there, behind only a handful like Combat, Pac-Man, maybe Space Invaders, Asteroids, maybe a couple others... So, my question is... if there's a max of a half million E.T. carts remaining in existence, how many of some of the other carts were made, like say Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or even an earlier cart like Berzerk or Defender? In other words, does this mean that carts that don't seem to be quite as common as E.T. were made in even smaller numbers than a half million?

Edited by Mirage

So if 4 million E.T. carts were produced, and of that 4 million, 3.5 million were returned then buried, that would leave a maximum of a half million E.T. carts remaining in existence. E.T. seems to be one of the most common carts out there, behind only a handful like Combat, Pac-Man, maybe Space Invaders, Asteroids, maybe a couple others... So, my question is... if there's a max of a half million E.T. carts remaining in existence, how many of some of the other carts were made, like say Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or even an earlier cart like Berzerk or Defender? In other words, does this mean that carts that don't seem to be quite as common as E.T. were made in even smaller numbers than a half million?

Don't forget there was a new round of manufacturing in '86 with the next company Atari Corp.

Here's something, not a large pic, but something. I never knew editing video was such a pain. I was able to do a screen capture off of my Studio 8 screen I'm using to edit with, it's small but you can get an idea of the size of the pit.

Also, The guy I interviewed that works for the city said the area may be tuned into a park in the future. Skate park, I don't know, maybe part of it.

Bruce S.

Why not just post READABLE JPG scans of each page of the old newspaper article? Then your Thread will be helpful in this curious story.

Don't forget there was a new round of manufacturing in '86 with the next company Atari Corp.

Right, of course. OK, so that probably explains why there's so many. It's sort of funny though, isn't it, that something that was supposedly so "hated" and had so many returns (or returns/left unsold) would see so many produced and sold later! What a difference a few years makes. But, even so, is the approximate number of carts of something else known? Maybe Combat would be the easiest to determine? Just approximately the number of VCS units made that had Combat included, then how many after the fact? Or maybe the production number of something like Pac-Man is known? Just for comparison. Sorry, I'm just curious.

And yes, of course I'll buy the book when it's available to get the full scoop on everything :lol:

Was there a difference in the carts? It seems to me there was. I thought at one time I had an ET cart that said 1986 on the cart lable itself. I can't verify this because I've sold off a lot of games since then. The ETs I have left all say 1982. Would be curious to see how many of the 1986 carts are floating around as opposed to the 1982 carts. According to this story, the 1986 carts should vastly out number the 1982 carts, easily by many, many millions wouldn't you agree?

Everyone get out your ETs and check the dates!

EDIT: Ok I just verified. The newer ETs were dated 1986. Attached is a picture of the cart.

It's more mysterious because I searched on eBay for ET Atari 2600 and clicked on the resulting auctions with pictures.

All 10 of the carts I clicked on were 1982 carts. Even though the 1986 carts theoreticaly should vastly out number the 1982 carts. It doesn't seem like that is the case.

post-544-0-32688400-1343159068_thumb.jpg

First post in the ledgendary Landfill thread - I read the whole thing a couple weeks ago and have been following for possible updates. Kudos on reaching 50 pages! I couldn't post a couple days ago because I was on vacation atm, or more precicely, visiting a friend's wedding in Missouri / Oklahoma (The return trip became a mini vacation through Arkansas for my fiance and I). For some reason, my 3DS suddenly decided it didn't like the hotel's wifi connection and I couldn't post a reply. I will definitely be buying the Atari book when it comes out, as I'd love to find out more about the Atari saga.

Forgive me if this sounds blasphemous, but I'm thinking of doing a myth-busters type experiment (sans explosives) in my backyard. The idea is to test whether it is feasible to dig up buried carts and restore them to working condition. Basically, I will bury an Atari cart in my back yard and dig it up a year or more later, and then after exhuming it, attempt to restore it to playable condition. The burial and the recovery will both be documented on Youtube. I haven't decided yet whether to use a Pacman or an E.T. cart. Besides not being a landfill, there are some differences between my Louisiana backyard and a New Mexico desert, most notably, it rains A LOT more here in the deep south, with the humidity staying high even during droughts. Also, if the cartridges, still sitting in their retail boxes, were encased in cement, the cement tomb would help to preserve the cart. So, in theory, a lot of moisture + no cement coffin = faster decay time. Only with no rotting garbage (but lots of earth-worms) and only one year instead of 30. I guess the "myth" I'm trying to "bust" is that the landfill fodder will actually remain playable after being buried for 30 years. Hopefully, it's true...

Forgive me if this sounds blasphemous, but I'm thinking of doing a myth-busters type experiment (sans explosives) in my backyard. The idea is to test whether it is feasible to dig up buried carts and restore them to working condition. Basically, I will bury an Atari cart in my back yard and dig it up a year or more later, and then after exhuming it, attempt to restore it to playable condition.

in theory, a lot of moisture + no cement coffin = faster decay time. Only with no rotting garbage (but lots of earth-worms) and only one year instead of 30. I guess the "myth" I'm trying to "bust" is that the landfill fodder will actually remain playable after being buried for 30 years. Hopefully, it's true...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.atariage.com2600archivesdurability.htmlSystemID=2600

2600 Cartridge Durability

Subject: Re: Backups and copiers

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 1994 08:18:37 GMT

In article <2siq94$sc2@narnia.ccs.neu.edu> tower@ccs.neu.edu (Chad Tower) writes:

> I have seen a lot of talk recently about making backups of games, and

>having copiers for them. Why would someone want to back up a game? Do they

>get erased or something? I have played on almost every system imaginable, and

>have never had the actual game erased (although on Baseball Stars for the NES,

>the data got erased all the time). Can someone help me understand this?

its easy. they want to make a quick buck off you being scared that your

game is going to get erased. I don't think its even legal to make a

backup copy of a ROM (but of course who would care with an atari game.)

I read in some software copyright law book that ROMs are considered

"durable" and so making a backup copy isn't necessary (like it is with

magnetic media.)

backing up an atari cartridge is absurd. the games are stored in ROM.

that's solid state (one chunk of silicon with different concentrations

of ions implanted into it to make transistors.) you cannot corrupt the

data because you can't move the ions around in the silicon lattice

(just like its impossible to move the colors around in a chunk of granite.

you can't do it unless you break it up into pieces.) the metal pins on

the ROM package are connected to certain places on the silicon by tiny wires.

plastic (or ceramic) is poured over all that and formed into the ROM package.

its all one chuck of plastic and metal with no holes, no spaces, and no

mechanically unstable parts! the ROM is then soldered into place on the

little printed circuit board (PCB) and then mounted in the plastic casing

of the cartridge.

there are only 2 ways that I can think of that an atari cart can go bad.

1) if a large voltage or static charge is taken across a transistor on the

silicon chip then the transistor will get "fried" (caused by so

many electrons moving through a small space at once that the physical

properties of the silicon are changes in that area of the chip.)

this will permanently damage the chip and your game won't work.

2) there is corrosion on the metal contacts on the game's PCB that keeps

electrons from flowing easily from the atari console to the game's

PCB.

that can be fixed by cleaning off the corrosion with a pencil eraser,

a Qtip with alcohol, or a very fine sandpaper if its _really_ bad.

I have over 2,000 atari carts and I've only found a couple that don't work

after they're cleaned.

exactly how durable are atari carts? I thought I'd see for myself...

I took a combat cart that was made in the 32nd week of 1981 (you can tell

by reading a little number code printed on the ROM) and did some experiments

on it to see what how much abuse it could take and still work.

1) I took the cart and dropped it out of my 2nd story window onto the cement

5 times. the plastic part of the cart was in pieces, but the game

still worked.

2) I put the cartridge back together as best I could and put it out in the

street. it got run over by a jeep. took it inside and it still

worked. at this point there was nothing left but the PCB with the

ROM soldered on it (and a metal cover that went over the ROM.)

3) I then put the PCB in boiling water for 5 minutes, took it out and

immediately packed it in a snowball that I made out of frost from my

freezer. after 5 minutes in the frost ball, I broke all the ice off

it and plugged it into my atari... It worked!

4) I have this magnet that's so strong that if you hold it within about 1.5

feet from a TV screen all the color gets sucked to one side of the

screen! well, I took that magnet and rubbed it all over the PCB and

ROM. plugged it in... and it worked!

5) next I took a lighter and held the ROM right above the flame. I left it

there for a few minutes until the ROM was smoking and giving off

a nasty smell. I cleaned off all the suit and plugged it in and

it still worked.

6) okay, no more mr. niceguy! I took it outside and had 3 cars run over it,

I threw it up as high as I could and had it land on the cement twice,

and I threw it down onto the cement as hard as I could twice. at

this point the metal cover that goes over the ROM had broken off, the

PCB was chipped on all the corners, the ROM was smashed onto the PCB

so that the pins were all squished on one side and were being pulled

out of the solder on the other side. I had to straighten out the pins

so that none were touching each other and I had to hold the PCB

together in one place so that the metal contacts would be in the right

place when I plugged the game in. guess what... it _still_ worked!!

7) it had taken heat extremes, shock, and magnetism. next up was

electricity. I took the atari power supply (9V, 500mA) and connected

some alligator clips to the output terminals of the power supply.

then I rubbed the other end of the alligator clips across the metal

contacts on the game's PCB. I tried a bunch of different

combinations and always had both alligator clips touching the PCB

contacts so that electricity would be flowing. I plugged the game

back in and much to my surprise it still worked!

8) I grabbed my hammer, laid the game down on the cement and gave it a good

smack. the ROM cracked right in half breaking the silicon wafer.

I plugged the game in and of course it had died on that one.

it took all that abuse to ruin a 13 year old atari game. I'd say they're

pretty damn durable!

--

_galen_komatsu__gkomatsu@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu__ar592@cleveland.freenet.edu_

XTC Nakajima Michiyo nin Revolution Atari2600 KOF'94

"I've got your Balloons, Jerk..."

Edited by Regulus

The one thing that John Early didn't test was the effects of time. A PCB can be submerged in sterile water for several minutes and then carefully dried and it should still work. I had a cell phone once that got dunked in the Buffalo River in Arkansas on a canoe trip. The key to avoiding damage is to remove the battery so that current cannot flow across the wet electronics, causing shorts, corrosion, and errors. I've also had flash drives go through the laundry with the data intact. Salt water is another matter, because the sodium and chlorine ions are highly corrosive. Either way, he boiled the cartridge in possibly sterile water, for 15 minutes, hardly adds up to a year or even 30 or more of decay.

Another thing to think about is that some unlicensed titles, including virtually all homebrews, use EPROMs rather than mask ROMs, and can be successfully erased, or "nuked" by X-Rays or Gamma rays. Even the "write once" EPROMs which do not have the UV window, can still be erased with exposure to radiation. Mask ROMs should survive intact, even with a lethal dose. They have an expected shelf life of twenty years, though in practice, they are often still work for thirty years or more. All EPROMs will eventually succumb to "bit rot." Something to think about before you put your collection of homebrews into your "checked" luggage at the airport.

The one thing that John Early didn't test was the effects of time. A PCB can be submerged in sterile water for several minutes and then carefully dried and it should still work. I had a cell phone once that got dunked in the Buffalo River in Arkansas on a canoe trip. The key to avoiding damage is to remove the battery so that current cannot flow across the wet electronics, causing shorts, corrosion, and errors. I've also had flash drives go through the laundry with the data intact. Salt water is another matter, because the sodium and chlorine ions are highly corrosive. Either way, he boiled the cartridge in possibly sterile water, for 15 minutes, hardly adds up to a year or even 30 or more of decay.

Another thing to think about is that some unlicensed titles, including virtually all homebrews, use EPROMs rather than mask ROMs, and can be successfully erased, or "nuked" by X-Rays or Gamma rays. Even the "write once" EPROMs which do not have the UV window, can still be erased with exposure to radiation. Mask ROMs should survive intact, even with a lethal dose. They have an expected shelf life of twenty years, though in practice, they are often still work for thirty years or more. All EPROMs will eventually succumb to "bit rot." Something to think about before you put your collection of homebrews into your "checked" luggage at the airport.

Your forgetting that alot of the games where crushed before hand and also that the whole thing was covered in CEMENT before they back filled it. Have fun fixing one of those carts...lol..... :P

Your forgetting that a lot of the games where crushed before hand and also that the whole thing was covered in CEMENT before they back filled it. Have fun fixing one of those carts...lol..... :P

None of that matters if time travel becomes possible soon. We can go back and kill the truck drivers before the stuff can be destroyed, then drive off into the sunset. Does anyone here know how to drive a truck? You can teach the rest of us how to drive one before we go on our mission.

• Like 1

Your forgetting that a lot of the games where crushed before hand and also that the whole thing was covered in CEMENT before they back filled it. Have fun fixing one of those carts...lol..... :P

None of that matters if time travel becomes possible soon. We can go back and kill the truck drivers before the stuff can be destroyed, then drive off into the sunset. Does anyone here know how to drive a truck? You can teach the rest of us how to drive one before we go on our mission.

Congrats, man, you've just killed your own father: unbeknownst to you, what if your dad was driving that truck? Now you cease to exist, but if you don't exist, how did you travel back in time? The Space-Time continuum is shattered and the universe explodes! :evil:

Reminds me of that Futurama episode where Fry travels back in time, crashes a spaceship in Roswell, and then causes his grandfather's demise. To set things strait again, he impregnates his young grandmother and becomes his own grandfather. Classic stuff... :rolling:

Edited by stardust4ever

We will have to wait awhile because the early models rarely work. The best case scenario is having a time traveler's other self in a nearby world line switch world lines when they go into each other's pasts. That usually brings other world line viruses. What we need is a later historic class model with it's space curvature cloaks disabled to interact with the past instead of just observing it. That way we won't have to deal with world line jumping and can just focus on making a paradox free timeline loop.

We will have to wait awhile because the early models rarely work. The best case scenario is having a time traveler's other self in a nearby world line switch world lines when they go into each other's pasts. That usually brings other world line viruses. What we need is a later historic class model with it's space curvature cloaks disabled to interact with the past instead of just observing it. That way we won't have to deal with world line jumping and can just focus on making a paradox free timeline loop.

You also have to factor in time-space coordinates. Even ignoring the potential curvature of space, it's a four-dimensional matrix with 3 dimensions of space and 1 additional dimension, time. The Earth rotates, as well as orbiting the sun. The sun doesn't stand still either, as it slowly drifts through space, orbiting the Milky Way, and who knows if the whole galaxy is moving as well. Just setting the time coordinate, without making adjustments to your present location in the universe, and you're liable to wind up floating around in deep space. Or if your calculations are only off by a little bit, you may end up trapped in the bowels of the Earth! And who knows what convoluted system of numbers a quantum transporter would use. There would likely be several dozens of significant digits worth of accuracy to worry about. It may be a better idea to perfect the teleportation technology first, then work on adding the 4th dimension of time to the mix. It's not like in "Back to the future" where the Delorian always appears in the exact same location relative to Earth. Even then, what if you hit 88mph driving in an empty field, and in the future, there's a shopping mall there and you crash inside a department store? Ouch...

LOL, I love these off-topic rants. ET would be proud...

Edited by stardust4ever

You also have to factor in time-space coordinates. Even ignoring the potential curvature of space, it's a four-dimensional matrix with 3 dimensions of space and 1 additional dimension, time. The Earth rotates, as well as orbiting the sun. The sun doesn't stand still either, as it slowly drifts through space, orbiting the Milky Way, and who knows if the whole galaxy is moving as well. Just setting the time coordinate, without making adjustments to your present location in the universe, and you're liable to wind up floating around in deep space. Or if your calculations are only off by a little bit, you may end up trapped in the bowels of the Earth! And who knows what convoluted system of numbers a quantum transporter would use. There would likely be several dozens of significant digits worth of accuracy to worry about. It may be a better idea to perfect the teleportation technology first, then work on adding the 4th dimension of time to the mix. It's not like in "Back to the future" where the Delorian always appears in the exact same location relative to Earth. Even then, what if you hit 88mph driving in an empty field, and in the future, there's a shopping mall there and you crash inside a department store? Ouch...

LOL, I love these off-topic rants. ET would be proud...

Even the first General Electric models have gravity lock.

Everyone get out your ETs and check the dates!

Hey guys.... seriously, if you're an Atari 2600 game collector, and you you own E.T. cart(s).

Go grab them and list the date on the cart in this thread.

By the information recently given, the 1986 carts should outrageously out-number the 1982 carts,

Of course at the same time, (in my opinion), a person who illegally wrote off millions of carts in the 80's to try and save a quickly sinking company, wouldn't admit to it even 30 years later if asked. What they might do however, is try and make any and all information about the event gathered up until that point null and void. The myth was that millions of ET carts were destroyed because everyone returned them. The location really doesn't make it any more or less bullshit.

Just saying.

The debate continues!! :P

My E.T cart is 1982. The '86 version is probably a collector's item.

I have only one Atari brand game from after 1984; it is Jr Pacman red label (©1987), perhaps one of the last official Atari 2600 releases, and unlike previous 1st party Atari games, the cart connector is completely exposed.

Edited by stardust4ever

The '86 version is probably a collector's item.

It's certainly looking that way, although it shouldn't be.

If the tale is to be believed, the 86 version should outnumber the 82 version by around 5 to 1....at least.

E.T. is easliy in the top 5 most common carts. To rank up there with Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Space Invaders a lot (a whole lot) of the 1986 E.T. should be floating around, that is if you accept the fact the majority of the 1982 carts were buried in a landfill, because the game sucked so bad everyone returned their copy. Well I mean everyone except no-one here, and no-one that any person here knows!

:ponder:

Heh, silly

If the tale is to be believed, the 86 version should outnumber the 82 version by around 5 to 1....at least.

E.T. is easliy in the top 5 most common carts. To rank up there with Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Space Invaders a lot (a whole lot) of the 1986 E.T. should be floating around, that is if you accept the fact the majority of the 1982 carts were buried in a landfill, because the game sucked so bad everyone returned their copy. Well I mean everyone except no-one here, and no-one that any person here knows!

Heh, silly

Which NTSC 1982 E.T. label variation was the buried one? Big diamonds, little diamonds, or double exposure?

Which NTSC 1982 E.T. label variation was the buried one? Big diamonds, little diamonds, or double exposure?

If your cart has the date 1982 on it, it probably should have been buried.

It's the cart that caused the video game crash after all, a game so terrible, MILLIONS of people returned it.

A game hated by people who haven't even tried to play it, just because they've been conditioned over the years to hate it regardless!

If only NES owners who bought the game Total Recall were as smart as folks in the early 80's.

If your cart has the date 1982 on it, it probably should have been buried.

It's the cart that caused the video game crash after all, a game so terrible, MILLIONS of people returned.

If only NES owners who bought the game Total Recall were as smart as folks in the early 80's.

Okay, you mean the 200 carts that I made into the chair I'm sitting in because Al won't accept them as donor carts?

• Like 1

Remember what I said about paradox free timeline loops? What I was referring to is that if you went into the past to change an event then in the new future no one will have a reason to time travel into the past because from their perspective nothing needs changed. That creates a paradox. You have to make sure the timeline loops from the moment you left into the past back to that point and out into the future. Think of a loop on a roller coaster. To form a paradox free loop you have to put a message in the past, it has to survive into the future, and it has to convince the time traveler to do it again.

Here is the thing. When this thread was originally started we mainly had only the 1986 carts. Most of these 1982 carts were buried. It was actually quite hard to convince people that the landfill was real but once we saw the video of them digging out piles of rarity nines we were all convinced. The mission was successful. The "myth" that was spread was part of the message to cause the timeline loop because that video won't happen this time. Also, we knew how rare other titles were going to be so we made sure that stockpiles of Atari gear was shipped to South America. You're welcome.

Heh, silly

One thing you are forgetting, as the ledgend states, the vast majority of the overproduced E.T. carts were returned. I'm just not seeing the evidence to support that statement. I do believe that several million carts were probably wrote off as "unsold and destroyed", but millions of carts did make it to retail shelves, and while a few of them may have been returned to the maunfacturer, I believe the majority of them could eventually be found in the "discount" bin, at $5 a pop along with all the other crap/surplus titles. Nintendo later insured that the same overstock problems would not occur with the NES by artificially limiting the supplies. It's no different than the modern day $5 DVD bin at Walmart; these are mostly old / low budget movies that didn't sell well. In the 2000's it is DVDs, in 1983, it was a "$5 bin" full of crappy Atari games. And the ones that couldn't sell in the $5 bins most likely eventually found their way into flea markets and other venues at $1-$2 dollars a piece. Sad part was, many of those games that showed up in the discount bins probably would be uber-rare collectables today.

That said, when I bought the E.T. cart, my local Game-X-Change already had 3 Pacmans on the shelf, but only one E.T. I swiped the one E.T., and actually sold back an extra copy of Pacman I had recieved as part of an ebay lot I bought to jumpstart my collection, meaning they had at least 4 Pacmans after I left the store. So there are obviously more Pacmans out there than E.T.s. I don't think anyone's disputing that.

In short, the numbers for the returned/destroyed E.T. carts are grossly exaggerated. 10,000 carts becomes 100,000 carts; 100,000 becomes 1,000,000, which then becomes 10,000,000. Adding zeros is very easy to do.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2