IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

• 2 weeks later...

All the 800XEs I've seen were 130XE boards with 4-bit memory chips. And those boards are not much different than the 1-bit memory version except for the area with the memory chips. (in addition there are also at least two variations of the 130XE board regarding the clock crystal type used).

So the pictures of the 130XE installation posted earlier in this thread should be usable for the 800XE as well.

For the signals, three of them are taken directly from the Freddie chip and the HALT signal is taken from the E-MMU chip. The 800XE does not have a E-MMU chip but HALT can still be taken from the same location.

Robert

con-xe.jpg

Had time today to update the Ultimate PBI driver so it provides proper information (namely the starting cluster of an ATR file) for MATR.COM:

post-21964-0-75304100-1345740765_thumb.png

(I already posted this screenshot in the SIDE topic). The ATR browser can now establish whether a given entry in the FAT directory is already mounted (thanks to KMK for ratifying a small change to the API), and thus display its drive number in the list. I'll add subdirectory and command line support over the weekend. It's essential I finish this software as soon as possible, so I can add the final icing-on-the-cake feature to the U1MB PBI driver - namely rotation of ATR files on a single drive number using only the button on the top of the SIDE cart (apparently this will be useful for single-drive, multi-disk games).

Then Phil can have his 800XL back. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

@flashjazzcat perhaps I'm asking something stupid now... but is there also any progress in this concerning the MyIDE hardware instead of SIDE?

Perhaps would be a cool feature that (just like with the BlackBox) that there could be a button that generates some kind of Interrupt, so the Ultimate Setup screen can be started without using reset?

@flashjazzcat perhaps I'm asking something stupid now... but is there also any progress in this concerning the MyIDE hardware instead of SIDE?

You're not the first person to ask this Marius, and it's a perfectly reasonable question. The answer is that MyIDE support will be trivial to implement: I just need to change the IDE hardware register base, and I have every intention of doing so. :)

Perhaps would be a cool feature that (just like with the BlackBox) that there could be a button that generates some kind of Interrupt, so the Ultimate Setup screen can be started without using reset?

I haven't yet explored the possibilities of the PBI's interrupt vector, but what you suggest sounds well worth exploring. I doubt Sebastian would want to perform major rewrites on the Ultimate BIOS triggering mechanism, but there may be other useful applications for this approach, perhaps with regard to certain aspects of the PBI functionality outside the scope of the BIOS menu.

Edited by flashjazzcat

OK: here's the ATR browser nearly done, booting Paperclip from an ATR in the FAT32 partition of the CF card:

Command line support is still to add (so you'll be able to write "MATR >Demos>Numen.atr A:" or some such), plus some details like S_VBXE support, and getting rid of the current directory entry (".") at the top of the file list. Subdirectory support works, and note that MATR works under ANY DOS - all the formatted output stuff is on-board (also, the version of FDISK shown in the video is the one which runs under MyDOS, Sparta 3.x, RealDOS, etc). At the end of the video I use the EXE version of FDISK to reset the boot drive to C: after I've finished with the ATR. I'll amend the PBI driver so that it always boots from drive 1 if there's an ATR mounted on that drive (overriding the boot drive setting in the drive map on the disk).

Note: the delay at the start is not the reading of the FAT32 directory, but the polling needed to build the mounting table (so we can find out which ATR is already mounted on which drive).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to phaeron's frightening knowledgeability and debugging abilities (and his implementation of Ultimate 1MB in Altirra), multi-disk software now works. Here's "Pacem in Terris" loading from two ATRs (side A mounted on D1, side B on D2). When the second disk is requested, a quick tap of the SIDE button rotates any mounted ATRs one place down in the drive table (so the side B ATR ends up on D1, in this instance):

Apologies for low light and poor focus. ;)

• Like 3

Sebastian, somewhere in this (or on another U1MB thread) I seem to remember you saying that U1MB clock loses some time. I was just looking at the time/date on my 130XE (where I have the U1MB installed) and noticed that the time is about 2 hrs off. I have set it up to the correct date and time on July 23 when I installed the upgrade and about two months later the time is about 2 hrs behind. Is that normal? as I don't remember what you exactly said before.

After setting the correct date and time now the U1MB Setup Screen shows the day as Wed instead of Thu.

post-15627-0-49442000-1348115991_thumb.png

post-15627-0-16685200-1348117629_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez

The right day is not calculated but a feature of the rtc. It keeps track of the day of the week, but only by adding one after every 24 hours. I am wondering it is possible to set this with SDX...

My RTC runs great in my u1mb ... Are you sure your battery is ok and right installed?

Sebastian, somewhere in this (or on another U1MB thread) I seem to remember you saying that U1MB clock loses some time. I was just looking at the time/date on my 130XE (where I have the U1MB installed) and noticed that the time is about 2 hrs off. I have set it up to the correct date and time on July 23 when I installed the upgrade and about two months later the time is about 2 hrs behind. Is that normal? as I don't remember what you exactly said before.

After setting the correct date and time now the U1MB Setup Screen shows the day as Wed instead of Thu.

If the clock is losing time it seems very strange that it would be off by almost exactly 2 hours, in 2 months that's about 2 minutes a day. I recommend monitoring it to see if it continues to drift at this rate, if it doesn't I would think the time was set incorrectly in the first place.

The Wednesday/Thursday issue is because the RTC just adds a day when the clock hits midnight, you bypassed this transition when you set the clock ahead 2 hours.

If the clock is losing time it seems very strange that it would be off by almost exactly 2 hours, in 2 months that's about 2 minutes a day. I recommend monitoring it to see if it continues to drift at this rate, if it doesn't I would think the time was set incorrectly in the first place.

The Wednesday/Thursday issue is because the RTC just adds a day when the clock hits midnight, you bypassed this transition when you set the clock ahead 2 hours.

I am pretty sure it was set correctly (from my laptop clock which periodically syncs with a time server) from the beginning but I will monitor it to see if it happens again. The day shows correctly in SDX, so U1MB must have a different way of setting the day then SDX.

The right day is not calculated but a feature of the rtc. It keeps track of the day of the week, but only by adding one after every 24 hours. I am wondering it is possible to set this with SDX...

My RTC runs great in my u1mb ... Are you sure your battery is ok and right installed?

Well, the clock is working, it is just loosing time, so I would say the battery is ok and installed properly. A weak battery wouldn't cause a digital clock to run slower, the clock will simply stop running when the current/voltage is not strong enough.

I am pretty sure it was set correctly (from my laptop clock which periodically syncs with a time server) from the beginning but I will monitor it to see if it happens again. The day shows correctly in SDX, so U1MB must have a different way of setting the day then SDX.

This is a wrong conclusion. SDX does not set the day. SDX calculates the day from the given date. U1MB does not do that calculation (!)

The DAY you see in the U1MB setup menu is just a representation of the day inside the RTC. I guess SDX does not set this register of the DS130x chip on the U1MB pcb.

I wrote a tiny program to set and read time/date... but I guess I did not implent this function either. But I think it is not hard to do...

I think it would be nicer if we users would be able to set time/date (and day of the week) inside the U1MB menu.

This is a wrong conclusion. SDX does not set the day. SDX calculates the day from the given date. U1MB does not do that calculation (!)

The DAY you see in the U1MB setup menu is just a representation of the day inside the RTC. I guess SDX does not set this register of the DS130x chip on the U1MB pcb.

this is exacly as it is, and one day u1mb bios will provide a way to set the time and date

• Like 1

I wrote a tiny program to set and read time/date... but I guess I did not implent this function either. But I think it is not hard to do...

I think it would be nicer if we users would be able to set time/date (and day of the week) inside the U1MB menu.

The word "setting" in this context was used as "determining", whether it is by calculation, look-up or whatever other method the date/time logic employs. The bottom line is SDX do it differently from U1MB, thus the difference. And yes it would be nice to set the date/time/day from within U1MB Setup Menu

Edited by atari8warez

• 2 weeks later...