IGNORED

ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)

pboland

After extensive research and testing (and money), I've finally came up with a good way to manufacture controller overlays. These new overlays have a very similar look and feel to the originals.

These are not just simple scans and just printed back out. Like my cart labels, I've taken the time to clean-up/redraw the artwork of each overlay.

The overlays are reverse color laser printed on to high quality transparency film. Then a thin layer of white laminate is applied to the back side of the transparency. This laminate does two things. First, it's used as the "white" coloring for the overlays and Two, the laminate adds protection to the image of the overlay. These overlays are 100% plastic, no paper or paint is used to manufacture them.

The overlays are then cut by hand using metal straight edge and exacto knife. The four main corners of the overlay are then 1/4" round die cut to make it easier to slide the overlay in and out of the controller.

I have a total of twenty different game overlays available. Eight of which I need to give a big thanks to Piexlboy for allowing me to manufacture his eight homebrew overlays that he created. Here's the list:

Piexlboy homebrew overlays:

- Aquattack

- Astro Invader

- Boulder Dash

- CV Drum

- Gateway to Apshai

- Miner 2049er

- Quest for Quintana Roo

- Spectar

post-9874-0-92240300-1347505090_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-22967600-1347505110_thumb.jpg

ColecoVision overlays:

- 2010 (modified slightly)

- Blackjack Poker

- CPK Picture Show

- Dam Busters

- Dr Suess

- Facemaker (modified slightly)

- Fortune Builder

- Mouse Trap

- Smurf Paint 'n' Play

- Spy Hunter

- War Games

- War Room

post-9874-0-55575300-1347505135_thumb.jpg

I'm making these on demand. Normally only takes a couple of days to put an order together.

The charge is $2.00 each (or $4.00 per set of two) + $5.00 shipping (first class mail to USA or Canada). As always I never take money until your order is ready to ship. I take payment via Pay Pal only. PM with your Pay Pal email address and your order if you are interested. If you guys have any questions, please ask.

• Like 10

••••NOW TAKING OVERSEAS ORDERS!••••

Good News,

I'm now taking orders from overseas. For all orders outside the United States/Canada, shipping is (let me do some checking). I will be taking the orders and then shipping everything to coleco_master/Toby (member here at Atari Age) to handle the distribution of all overseas orders. For that reason there my be a slight delay with you receiving your order. I'm taking orders from outside the USA and Canada until September 21st 2012. Once all the orders are in, I will ship everything out to coleco_master/Toby (member here at Atari Age) to handle the distribution.

Please PM me if you are interested. Remember, I only take payment via Pay Pal. For that reason I will need your Pay Pal email address with your order so I can invoice you. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you Toby for helping with the distribution of all overseas orders. :)

Edited by pboland

••••NOW TAKING OVERSEAS ORDERS!••••

Good News,

I'm now taking orders from overseas. For all orders outside the United States/Canada, shipping is (let me do some checking). I will be taking the orders and then shipping everything to coleco_master/Toby (member here at Atari Age) to handle the distribution of all overseas orders. For that reason there my be a slight delay with you receiving your order. I'm taking orders from outside the USA and Canada until September 21st 2012. Once all the orders are in, I will ship everything out to coleco_master/Toby (member here at Atari Age) to handle the distribution.

Please PM me if you are interested. Remember, I only take payment via Pay Pal. For that reason I will need your Pay Pal email address with your order so I can invoice you. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you Toby for helping with the distribution of all overseas orders. :)

Still taking overseas orders with slight update:

I did some checking and it looks as if the US postal service has streamlined their process for international shipping since last time I shipped something over seas. It doesn't look to be anymore difficult then shipping to Canada. I've decided that I will handle the overseas shipping myself. I still would like to thank coleco_master/Toby for offering to help out. With that said, Shipping cost internationally is $8.00. Again, please PM me with your order and Pay Pal email address if interested.

P.S. sorry for all the confusion with the international shipping. Its been a while since I had to deal with it, so it is somewhat of a learning curve. Thanks for your patience.

Very nice. You said they look similar to the originals but can you tell the difference? Anyway, I'm just interested in the homebrew overlays. PM sent!

Side by side you can tell the difference, but they feel very similar. I think they feel the same, but some may disagree. :) Here's a couple of images to compare with. The top row of overlays are originals. The bottom row are the reproductions.

post-9874-0-21515500-1347893169_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-77214900-1347893177_thumb.jpg

As you can see, some of the colors and fonts are not 100%. That's because like my labels I redrew most of them. I hope that helps.

Got all of the homebrew overlays. Gotta tell you I would never know that they were not professionally produced by a big production company. They look perfect.

As far as I am concerned overlay project a huge success and possibly Utopia one step closer eh Luc ;)

Actually, I had a quick talk with Phil about producing a large lot of Utopia overlays (even though the programming of the game is still a couple of years away), and there's no problem on Phil's end. So now I only have three problems:

1) I'm preparing the release of 8 Team Pixelboy games for next Christmas, so I don't have much time to work on the template of the Utopia overlay at the moment.

2) I'm not sure what the graphical content of the Utopia overlay should be. At first, I wanted to do a straight reproduction of the Intellivision overlay, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should do fancier drawings for each of the keypad keys. I haven't really decided yet.

3) intvnut did a thorough analysis of how the Intellivision version works under the hood, and that will be extremely useful to me, but I still don't know when I'll get around to programming the ColecoVision version. I still have so much on my plate...

But anyway, yeah, having the Utopia overlays printed by Phil is part of the plan. :)

3) intvnut did a thorough analysis of how the Intellivision version works under the hood, and that will be extremely useful to me, but I still don't know when I'll get around to programming the ColecoVision version. I still have so much on my plate...

Yeah I read through that when it came out. He did an awesome job, it was so detailed you could code it on any platform. I was surprised to see some of the actual settings, I guess it has been a while since I played but they did surprise me on the scoring and things like that.

Thanks guys for all the great comments. I think I will keep this offer alive for about two more weeks (I need to work on Intellivison overlays next). After that, it may be awhile before I offer them up again.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by pboland

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like them.

@Troy - Which games are you wanting to see have overlays? I might be able to make them if they are existing games.

I would like to see many of the new homebrews have overlays as well. ;)

A Super Action Controller batch would be great, I have never even seen overlays for Super Action Soccer!

Troy

• Like 1