IGNORED

ST Images to Real Floppy...

That would be splendid...

Ok ok.... So MSA... Can ST images be made to MSA images with a transfer tool of some description???? Does it really matter?????

Yes, there is a program that can convert ST to MSA. There is also software to write ST images to floppy on the ST. I'm not sure but I think JAYMSA can do it....

• Like 1

So the SD card is literally the HDD???

So for example could I put files directly from PC to SD to go into the Satandisk? I wouldn't have to open an HDD image file in say something STeem and do it that way?????

If yes then is there a 'image to floppy' solution/software package for ST that I could drop onto the HDD/Satandisk?? Is there a method to make st images workable on HDD/Satandisk generally??

So that I don't fall into the trap of being annoying with my generic-sounding questions does anyone know of an FAQ/manual etc that I could read up on this...?

Is there a place to go to get the software already mentioned by you guys???? Google is not my friend today.............

If you do TOS/DOS compatible partitioning/driver, then can copy/delete straight with Windows Explorer - although, much better is with Total Commander. Or with MAC, Linux file managers.

You can do quick try by getting ready to use hard disk image with driver and some games: http://atari.8bitchi...DiskImgPP1.html

Even if you have not Satan yet - with emulators: Steem with Pasti.dll for hard disk image handling, or Hatari .

MSA to ST or versus conversion can do with http://atari.8bitchi.../floimgd.php - on PC.

""Paranoid Little Man" wrote a program that will launch an ST/MSA from HDD with no need to write out the floppy. I'm sure he will point you to it."

- it is Floppy Image Runner - you will find it's page if visit link above. But don't expect that every game will work. And in meantime we did a lot of hard disk adaptations/patches.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

Writing the IMG file to the SD is a straightforward process I would presume? I am assuming all details are supplied....?

Pretty much straightforward: you connect USB reader to PC, start Imaging SW. Click on 'Removable' , then on 'Write to sel'd' Select img file, OK .

At bottom is link to Imaging prg, where is usage. But you may use some other SW for writing on SD card too.

Just a little more on the MSA. It stands for Magic Shadow Archiver. It is a backup software for the ST. Proprietary archive format.

MSA specs are well known. And doing conversion to ST format is easy.

Rawwrite supports raw format - at least according to name. And ST format is it.

All what average user needs is to know what SW is capable of what and to get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I just wanted to extend my gratitude to every and all who have commented and help me take off the 'noob necklace' I had around my neck. Its been a massive help and its been greatly rewarding.

I have received the Satandisk and have managed to get my head around the whole partition/image thing. Basically I just used a 1GB image that was floating around and wrote that to the SD card. This saved me a lot of trouble.

Afterwhich I have then removed the 2MB HDD games and such because... Well I don't have 2MB basically... And I have used a tool on the ST side which converts MSA to floppy disk and also I have an 'ST disk image to MSA' converter tool on the PC side. Apologies for not knowing specific names. I am typing this on the fly so forgive my lack of immediate knowledge.

Basically guys I have a very special ST with HDD games and the ability to write to floppies without too much hardship on my part. This is truly a special time for me and once again I just wanted to say a huge mega thanks to everyone who has replied.

Me and my ST are pretty much happy.

I am discovering so much about the ST which, in my opinion, seems to have the Amiga licked... So to speak... I love the Amiga and always will but I am just so surprised at what the ST can do. And I find it quite appealing and exciting to discover new things! :-D

Happy days, as they say...

Huge thanks!!

A tiny... (Possibly) little issue here...

I am wanting to write to floppy the MSA for Super Skweek. Unfortunately its too big an image for the floppy...??

I am using MSA 2.32 from WAZ Software. I have tried the 'Format Disk' option. I have tried using a pre-formatted ST disk. Whats the best way to get Super Skweek onto a floppy via MSA???

Apologies, as I am guessing this is no doubt straightforward but the solution alludes me... I could not find an HDD version of Super Skweek either on my travels through Google. Is there one available or could I possibly make a HDD version via the MSA/ST image as that would be equally good? Could I use Steem and take the stuff/files off the floppy and drop them onto the HDD(As I can use the SD card in Steem too)??

Many thanks!

EDIT: Tried copy/pasting the contents of the disk image to the HDD using Steem and play the game that way. Not working unfortunately... So thats out... Basically a black screen/freeze...

EDIT2: Tried using a Floppy Disk Image Runner program for the ST and it recognised the image and tried to run it but the same error as first EDIT. Really stuck here......

For clarity I am using a 'one disk' version of Super Skweek...

Edited by dudeydude

I am wanting to write to floppy the MSA for Super Skweek. Unfortunately its too big an image for the floppy...??

I am using MSA 2.32 from WAZ Software. I have tried the 'Format Disk' option. I have tried using a pre-formatted ST disk. Whats the best way to get Super Skweek onto a floppy via MSA???

EDIT: Tried copy/pasting the contents of the disk image to the HDD using Steem and play the game that way. Not working unfortunately... So thats out... Basically a black screen/freeze...

EDIT2: Tried using a Floppy Disk Image Runner program for the ST and it recognised the image and tried to run it but the same error as first EDIT. Really stuck here......

What is exact size of that "too big image" ?

In Steem you don't need to copy disk image, but 'insert' with Disk menu. Then it must work - if not, image is bad, or just have bad size - what is not rare case, thanks to overall mess in all this.

But even if wrong sized, may write with Floppy Imager onto floppy.

Floppy Image Runner can not run everything, and it is explained on it's homepage.

Additionally, you may suffer from common TOS version incompatibility problem.

The above zipped content is received and greatly appreciated!! Thank you muchly!!

So I don't fall into the trap of asking similar questions. How do I make/generate the files necessary to do 'Dual Sided' track writing in the future??

So ParanoidLittleMan: You obviously generated those files from the 'One Disk' Super Skweek. How did you do this? Is there a program on the PC side or something?

This is amazing stuff! Hugely appreciative. Happy gaming days and also a happy girlfriend(Super Skweek is my GF's favourite)... What more could a man ask for??

Many thanks as usual guys!

You can make images with same program - TRACC. It is made for Atari, but you can use it in Steem , so can make images on the PC side. It needs little knowledge about floppies + some experience. Hard part is to set proper parameters like Sectors/track and cylinders.

Go here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php and DL TRACC (near bottom). There are some instructions. And it is 2MB version, where can do most of things in 1 pass (if you have enough RAM, of course).

• Like 1

You can make images with same program - TRACC. It is made for Atari, but you can use it in Steem , so can make images on the PC side. It needs little knowledge about floppies + some experience. Hard part is to set proper parameters like Sectors/track and cylinders.

Go here:

http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

DL TRACC (near bottom). There are some instructions. And it is 2MB version, where can do most of things in 1 pass (if you have enough RAM, of course).

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
  • Like 1