IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I was going to get to mine:

AllGen Gamers

Gameroom Junkies (haven't heard a new one lately)

implantGamers

OldGame+

Player One Podcast

RetroGaming Roundup

The Retro League

RetroGaming Radio (wow, Shane really likes himself on the latest ep)

Retroist

RF Generation Collectorcast

Video Game Rescue

Well-Versed in the Classics

The latest Retronauts features discussion of TMNT games; however, one of the panelists is none other than the detestable Kat Bailey. I've mentioned before how I just can't stand her voice, this time it made my skin crawl 4 seconds after she first spoke. She LIKES TO TALK & takes every chance to do so. It sounds like an androgynous voice box w/ an ever-so-slight hint of inflection to make it just barely minimally human. I quit listening w/ 20 min left, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wonder if she spoke only 1/4 of the time, could I handle it? Unlikely. I know I seem unreasonable but it's REALLY difficult for me to listen to her.

Also, I know Player One podcast doesn't seem to get a fair shake around here, but I really liked the latest ep. Skip the 25 min of Walking Dead spoylarz (uninteresting!) & the baby talk stinger (last 5 min) to hear the hosts shred Ready Player One (like I did) & RetroCityRampage, discuss Samantha Fox music breaks, bikini wall posters & other brief 80s references. This is one of the few 'casts that consistently makes me laugh out loud.

Also, I know Player One podcast doesn't seem to get a fair shake around here, but I really liked the latest ep. Skip the 25 min of Walking Dead spoylarz (uninteresting!) & the baby talk stinger (last 5 min) to hear the hosts shred Ready Player One (like I did) & RetroCityRampage, discuss Samantha Fox music breaks, bikini wall posters & other brief 80s references. This is one of the few 'casts that consistently makes me laugh out loud.

Is this a one-off listen, or should I subscribe? And the conditions for subscribing are: not have it be 90% modern gaming talk.

Ripping CDs onto MP3s via a command line utility. ALL important cornerstones of history!

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard it. SHANE...WAS...THERE!!! :roll:

That Player One is a one-off, they're modern-centric w/ some retro (not enough to sustain a craving) sprinkled in, as they're veterans of the biz. This ep. had a touch more retro than usual.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard it. SHANE...WAS...THERE!!! :roll:

But that's the appeal of Shane's podcasts. His world(Monroeworld) and for those episodes, we are all invited into it. Think of it as the anti-Retronauts in that regard.

Now about that death metal song at the end of RRR episode 2. Hmm....

You going to Midwest Gaming Classic?

Y'know I've ALMOST gone the past 2 times, I really want to take my family & spend the wkend there, my 2 boys really like pinball. My wife'd be bored though. Plus I've really cut back on buying. Last yr we had just got home from a San Diego vacation & didn't feel like traveling some more.

I wanted to go to this upcoming MOMA gaming auction, & one of my proposed stipulations was that we DIDN'T have to go to MGC, but my wife shot that all down, so I guess technically it's open again.

Y'know I've ALMOST gone the past 2 times, I really want to take my family & spend the wkend there, my 2 boys really like pinball. My wife'd be bored though. Plus I've really cut back on buying. Last yr we had just got home from a San Diego vacation & didn't feel like traveling some more.

Well, with going to MGC last year, your 2 boys will play enough pinball to get burnt out by it. I played a TON of pins that weekend. Wished I balanced it out by playing some more console games they had out there, since they had a ton of those as well. Tried that Steel Battalion game which was complicated.

So I listened to the Retronauts episode about post-apocalyptic games. They talked about Chrono Trigger, one of the Final Fantasies, and Half Life 2? C'mon. What episode are they NOT talking about Chrono Trigger or anything FF? That's literally every episode. HL2? Fallout barely got mentioned. They might as well have a special episode of Retronauts that talk about games that feature Chocobos.

Is this a one-off listen, or should I subscribe? And the conditions for subscribing are: not have it be 90% modern gaming talk.

From RJ's description, it sounds like it's 90% not gaming talk at all.

I listened to the Retronauts ep this morning, I didn't think Kat Bailey was as bad as RJ said. Jenn Frank is the one I can't stand, even though she seems to be the only one who appears on that show that knows anything about the VCS.

Oh, they talk games, it's a gaming podcast, but current gen consoles & downloads, w/ a few references to classic/retro every so often, as the hosts are gaming biz veterans (past writers from GameNOW, EGM, & Nintendo Power) & a couple now work on the development side.

While I admit it does NOT fall under our criteria here, I personally enjoy it for the hosts' rapport/cameraderie/lighthearted teasing each other, & Phil's witty/comedic asides are so bad, they're good. I touted this particular episode because it touched on so many things they mentioned, which I had in common (I had the very same Heather Thomas poster, the one on Sam's brother's door in "16 Candles".)

& re: Kat Bailey- I also readily admit my problem w/ her speaking is personal; I know it's not so bad for others. I tend to initially focus on someone's speaking style (which arguably can make or break a podcast) & hers rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by RJ

found some new ones! Will be listeneing to their debut eps. tonight! Retro Domination sounds very promising from the show description, though we've been misled before...

Retro Domination (www.consoledomination.com) CAUTION: the site is all current gen, make sure to look for their Old School Retro podcast, thats what we want here

Bit Punks (www.bitpunks.com/PodcastGen)

Also, since I missed out before, d/l-ing the 1st 3 Retro Asylum eps, since they seemed to be well-liked & missed around here.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Okay, I downloaded all the Bit Punks episodes(hey, there's 8), so I'll go for the long dive here. ITunes is weird. It wasn't syncing ANY podcasts until I had to go out of my way to tell it to after this fresh Windows 7 install.

Result: 1.4 days of podcasts to catch up on. That's not even including the video-based ones from good 'ol Armchair Arcade.

I wish Retro Domination's "retro podcasts" had their own separate RSS feed(so I can sub with iTunes). . It looks like it's 50/50 with their modern gaming 'cast. Wonder if I can do a workaround here.

Maybe it's this one? https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/retro-domination-podcast/id542670056?mt=2

Edited by S1500

Nope, I now have two days of video game podcasts to go through. Decided to get all of the bit punks & retro domination.

Retro Domination - Not a bad Aussie podcast. They do talk about pre-crash games which is a welcome change. Zero mention of Final Fantasy. B+ Will continue to subscribe.

Bit Punks Podcast - There's some topic drift here, often into the modern gaming talk. Usual penalty for tired Final Fantasy discussion. But there's good coverage of older games(wouldn't quit go to "retro"). Will continue to subscribe & listen to backlog of episodes. C+

I decided to listen to all the Retro Domination shows striaght through, got 7 to go. Looks like they have some good guests (Metal Jesus, Game Chasers, Gamester81). Kinda funny one of the better retro pocasts comes from where they basically have to import their retro stuff, at often double the item cost according to them, mainly from the USA! Maybe they're more passionate about it since they appreciate it more.

Also, though not a standout 'cast, Bit Punks do a good "scary games" show from last year(?) Silent Hill (PS), Eternal Darkness (GC) & Shivers (PC) discussion. Bonus points to them for mentioning the Echo Night games (PS/PS2)- never heard anyone else mention those. Good games.

Edited by RJ

(*sigh*)...

Well, in ep. 5, Retro Domination drinks the Jerry Terrifying Koolaid & announces in the intro that they are now adult/explicit, & go on to do all they can to earn that tag. Swear words fly freely. No sexual reference, no matter how subtle or unintended, goes unacknowledged. It's such an abrupt turn around the corner. I suppose they wanted to broaden their listenership, & the best way to win over the societal LCD is to sink to their level & start swearing.

It's a shame, really. Points OFF for this unnecessary move. A- down to C+.