IGNORED

RCA Studio II GOLD MINE! An interview with the Studio 2 Production Manager!

OK, the scans are all organized and uploaded now. I've made them archive quality--300 dpi color PNG's. There are also some photos from my digital camera for the systems themselves, and the system box that's too large to scan easily. Feel free to distribute, reformat, etc. My U.S. collection is just about complete, though I don't have a box for TV School House I. For the clone carts, some I don't have boxes and/or instructions. Some of what I do have is kind of beat up. If anyone is able to scan missing items, or scan more pristine items, that would be great. I'm also including some miscellaneous scans I got from Peter Trauner (PeT). I'm not sure how widely these have been distributed.

Clone cartridges: http://www.mediafire...a6rvdkkd26zyyzc

Studio II cartridges: http://www.mediafire...wudbpn9erc98pw2

Owners and Service Manuals: http://www.mediafire...7jod7m8a63za1n9

Studio II Cartridge Instructions: http://www.mediafire...khuy39x2dzimy9r

Clone Cartridge Instructions: http://www.mediafire...ybzl5fm12tblbpb

TV School House I Booklets: http://www.mediafire...737ozbndlar93zw

System Photos and System Boxes: http://www.mediafire...5ebmvf28e73709c

Cartridge Boxes: http://www.mediafire...95wih39jrj6ow49

PeT Scans: http://www.mediafire...ojxprk04sqwfihf

Thanks for sharing all this! Prior to this thread I had recently scanned a bunch of my RCA Studio II manuals found here. I used the best manuals I had and scanned at 1200 dpi, then scaled down a bit, did some basic touch up and saved as jpg files. I am actually in the process of finishing up the School House I books (both versions), the owners manual and all the other US paperwork (order form, brochure, warranty, etc.)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing all this! Prior to this thread I had recently scanned a bunch of my RCA Studio II manuals found here. I used the best manuals I had and scanned at 1200 dpi, then scaled down a bit, did some basic touch up and saved as jpg files. I am actually in the process of finishing up the School House I books (both versions), the owners manual and all the other US paperwork (order form, brochure, warranty, etc.)

Nice scans. It's interesting that your English-language Star Wars manual is completely different from my French one. It's not just a simple translation.

• Like 1

Nice scans. It's interesting that your English-language Star Wars manual is completely different from my French one. It's not just a simple translation.

That Star Wars manual is for the M-1200 clones rather than the MPT-02 clones

I put together a few screenshots that illustrate the quality of my capture card...

post-5454-0-97863800-1364081920_thumb.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the cartridge version of Blackjack lets you bet 1-10 dollars (I presume) per turn. The built-in version in the Conic waits for two keys to be pressed, meaning you can bet 1-99 dollars per turn.

thanks for those :)

Edited by TLD1985

Kaboom is ready to go - okay it's a beta probably, but it is complete and works. I have tested it on my own S2 development emulator and Emma02 and it works fine. Not tried MESS.

Temporary storage, no proper hosting :)

http://www.robsons.org.uk/kaboom.zip

Source, Bin and ST2 format files included.

Paul, well done!!!! This game is so addicting and fun on the S2. I also feel that the simple left right movement of the game will be well suited to the S2 keypads. This is an excellent translation, none of the fun is lost and it's just as addicting!

Does anyone have a schematic for the Studio II? The just-posted service manual unfortunately doesn't have one, but instead has a block diagram with some notes on it.

I got most an FPGA Studio II done (CPU + video) but there's some finer details like sound and exact hookups I'd like to get right and not have to guess or look at emulator sources. Exact cycle timing of the video chip is also something I wanted to suss out. I keep looking out for a unit on ebay but they seem to be hot right now. I just need a loose system that ideally works (but not required). carts and adapter/switchbox not needed. (In fact the first step's going to be AV modding it and adding a proper AC adapter input on there)

• Like 1

Does anyone have a schematic for the Studio II? The just-posted service manual unfortunately doesn't have one, but instead has a block diagram with some notes on it.

I got most an FPGA Studio II done (CPU + video) but there's some finer details like sound and exact hookups I'd like to get right and not have to guess or look at emulator sources. Exact cycle timing of the video chip is also something I wanted to suss out. I keep looking out for a unit on ebay but they seem to be hot right now. I just need a loose system that ideally works (but not required). carts and adapter/switchbox not needed. (In fact the first step's going to be AV modding it and adding a proper AC adapter input on there)

I've been searching the internet and can't find any sign of it. I know that fauxscot doesn't have a schematic. That service manual must be the block diagram that he said he has.

Let's get Dan Boris. Yeah, that's the ticket, that guy can create a schematic from any piece of old hardware. :-D

• Like 1

I've been searching the internet and can't find any sign of it. I know that fauxscot doesn't have a schematic. That service manual must be the block diagram that he said he has.

Let's get Dan Boris. Yeah, that's the ticket, that guy can create a schematic from any piece of old hardware. :-D

Oh, creating the schematic from the hardware is the easy part and the time I spent searching for it, I could've traced the board out already. I eat and sleep board tracing and a board like the Studio 2 is a 2-3 hour project. I just need a board to poke with my meter :-)

I have successfully repaired two units in the last week. One was relatively simple and involved setting the RF modulator frequencies and the other was a great deal more involved. It had a defective display chip

fauxscot: If possible, is there any chance I can get hold of that bad CDP1861 display chip? I'm interested in getting a die shot of the chip, and I'd much rather have a non-working one acid-etched open than destroying one that works properly.

LN

Edited by Lord Nightmare

fauxscot: If possible, is there any chance I can get hold of that bad CDP1861 display chip? I'm interested in getting a die shot of the chip, and I'd much rather have a non-working one acid-etched open than destroying one that works properly.

LN

Hey LN (and everyone else!)

The dud chip isn't mine, but i'll ask. It is useful in troubleshooting, though. Known bad unit with minor issues.

I am out on the road for the moment and won't be working on this for another week, but did not want the thread to fade. I'll get back with you once i am back at my shop.

Cool that you're going to decap and pix that mother. Way cool.

F

LN

Fauxscot - if that bad display chip is the one from my console that you got working feel free to donate/use as you see fit for any projects you have in mind or for someone else to utilize.

You can have mine if you want. I don't collect RCA systems, I just develop stuff, and it doesn't work on PAL, but I think it does work :)

SDLMess has always been messy icon_smile.gif

Looking at the source they have allocated $000-$7FF as ROM, and $800-$9FF as RAM, which is technically correct but an S2 allows ROM anywhere in the memory map.

I just played Pac-Man - wow amazing port, Paul! I find it incredible how you were able to maintain most of the basic elements of the game. Despite the stripped down graphics, the game is just as fun to play as any other version of Pac-Man. This is a great addition to the S2 library. Thank you for this! icon_smile.gif

This is what I just won on ebay:

$T2eC16R,!)UE9s3wCMtQBRSYsMTFtg~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtHWHBRSY5b((bg~~60_12.JPG

Yep Academy Apollo 80 games... I'm happy to sell them on again to any RCA collectors on here (at some point)... altough I can imagine there being a bit of a fight for them. I'll post better pics/scans once I get my hands on the things...

Edited by TLD1985
  • Like 1

Did anyone order an FPGA Studio 2?

All this Studio 2 talk got me fired up to make an FPGA Studio 2. I started last friday and here it's friday morning and it's done. I tested all games and they work properly including those recent homebrews that were just posted. I guess that means I don't need to get a system in here to test and reverse engineer- I poked at the 1861 video chip datasheet and COSMAC ELF stuff to figure out the remaining bits.

Almost forgot the specs. The CDP1802 CPU core was written from scratch in this time, along with the "pixie" videochip, too. Thanks to Paul Robson for documenting the BIOS code. I used this extensively along with Signaltap (in Quartus II) to debug the 1802 core and the 1861 video- it's pretty tricky timing getting the two to properly synch up. There were plenty of "funny" screens when the synchronization was bad. I have some new respect for the COSMAC ELF after seeing exactly how it works inside.

So after saying that, here's some pictures.

studio2pattern.JPG

"Pattern" from the built in set of games

studio2bowling.JPG

"Bowling" again from the built in games

studio2pacman.JPG

"Pac-Man" homebrew

Edited by kevtris
  • Like 5