IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I have to admit I havent been listening but will d/l some tonight.

As for the friend request, it wasnt on there very long for me to respond, as I work graveyard & wouldnt have been able to anyway. But it's all set up now.

Check out the latest Stuck in the 80s podcast for a discussion of "biggest pop culture bombs of 1982"- Atari 2600 ET is mentioned.

Though the female guest co-host is defending it as not so bad, she makes some mistakes, saying the guy they "brought in" to program ET was "Howard Ben Wishaw", & taking 15 minutes to levitate out of a pit is expected. (Yeah, if you dont know what the f-ck you're doing!) Also, if you bump into a tree or bush on the way out, you'll fall back down again. Hmm...

Also, when she mentioned she played this on the ColecoVision expansion module (for Atari games) the co-host was ASTOUNDED such a thing existed.

I'm enjoying the You Don't Know Flack podcasts, which are being produced more regularly these days. (I enjoyed Commodork, and there's some overlap.)

I like the single host format better than the roundtable. What other retrogaming podcasts feature the single host?

I hated the Retronauts podcast because of the inane banter. And while I do listen to RGRU, it's harder to do so these days because of the one guy who won't stop talking about himself (even when he's interviewing someone) or dropping slurs left and right.

• Like 2

What other retrogaming podcasts feature the single host?

And while I do listen to RGRU, it's harder to do so these days because of the one guy who won't stop talking about himself (even when he's interviewing someone) or dropping slurs left and right.

The Retroist is (mainly) single host but he has some guest segments, one of whom is none other than Rob "Flack" O'Hara, so you'd prob. like it. VideoGame Rescue was single host (& listenable) at first until he took on co-host Kevin.

Also 2600 Game By Game, from fellow member here ferghead, is just a few eps. old.

RetroGaming Radio by Shane Monroe is late & very Shane-centric.

& re: RGRU, Im guessing you mean the US co-host (not SoCal Mike)? If you have complaints, this is the place to air them, as we read earlier, THEY ARE WATCHING... :)

• Like 1

Well, the Retronaughts have launched a Kickstarter, no REALLY, guess pod-casters are going to start asking for crowd-funding now lol According to them they are "Your Favorite Classic Gaming Podcast!", oh really?

http://www.kickstart...od?ref=activity

$15,749

pledged of $12,000 goal

Really? REALLY? For RETRONAUTS?

(Japanese Video game deveopler name) * Final Fantasy * *Snatcher* self-depreciating humor - *Dennis Miller-like reference involving Japanese video games*

There, just saved you 15 grand.

• Like 3

& the $749 is for co-hosts talking over & 1-upping (see what I did there?) each other with their RPG knowledge.

Awww, I kid, I kid. I've always listened to/enjoyed Retronauts, generally. I dont think I'd give them money though, after buying one of the host's e-zines featuring Xevious, which amounted to a $5 paragraph of abbreviated history. :roll:

Flack-TASTIC YDKFlack episode (El Reno) this week! I love nostalgic stories like this. Right up my alley, didnt lose interest for a single minute.

Also a new & very late Shanecast. The C64 Anniversary- part 1. I wonder how Shane was instrumental in this. He invented Redbox ya know.

This may not hold my interest long. I was an Atari kid.

Edited by RJ

My 2 cents on the retronauts kickstarter:

I stopped listening to them months ago. They are full of inside jokes which make no sense to the listener, constant name dropping of japanese game developers, and talking about obscure Japanese RPGs that only 8 people have played. It doesn't talk to the listener, but moreso us just eavesdropping on their conversations.

If you have a podcast talking to listeners about some game you've discovered, that's great. But they put it in a manner where they know about Mother 2 front to back, with no context, it's not fun to listen to.

It's obscurity for the sake of obscurity. Let's have a 3 hour discussion devoted to the 3rd level of Derp Fantasy 3.

Once money comes into it, it ceases to become a hobby & moreso a business. Then the fun goes out. Most retro gaming podcasts operate on no budget, or even at a loss(shipping prizes out to listeners, microphones, hosting costs). And they get 17 grand? I'm confused. They don't even acknowledge the existence of fans, ie no listener feedback, etc like just about every other podcast does.

The lowest tier donation gets you a name drop on their 'cast. Other casts will do it for free, and thank you for listening.

A tip jar is fine, but 17 grand? That could buy you a Nissan Sentra.

Now did you post that elsewhere, & cut/paste it here? On my screen here it doesnt look like your posts usually do.

I think they consider themselves/their show less of a homemade or casually produced show, & more of a corporate product that needs $$$ to survive. They're important professional podcasters in the gaming biz that discuss old RPGS, DAMMIT!!! Of course they need our muneezzz!!

It's also interesting that most of the better podcasts ARE better, & do more with less. I dont hear Flack, the Retroist, or the No Quarter guys asking for handouts.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Now did you post that elsewhere, & cut/paste it here? On my screen here it doesnt look like your posts usually do.

It's also interesting that most of the better podcasts ARE better, & do more with less. I dont hear Flack, the Retroist, or the No Quarter guys asking for handouts.

It was copypasta from my response on The Retro League's forums. With No Quarter, they aren't asking for dough, and in fact are losing it by handing out fun prizes to listeners. Guess who has the better podcast?(IMO)

• Like 2

Non-gaming podcasts now in range!

The Nerdist- actor/comedian/web nerd Chris Hardwick interviews various people, from unknown comedians to A-list actors/celebs. Highly listenable, high-quality audio, professional, funny sometimes. CAUTION: explicit profanity.

Nerd Lunch- 4-host roundtable discussion of a wide variety of pop culture items: comics, TV/films, food, some gaming. The Retroist himself guests on 2 eps, most recently their Atari 2600 show. High-quality, listenable, intelligent, clean. Only heard one cussword in listening to several shows. I passed on several old episodes as they didnt appeal to me. Guess that means I'm not a nerd!

(returns to reading the Star Wars Technical Journal)

Forums, eh? (rubs chin thoughtfully)

Room for one more over there?

Sure, it's a free country:

http://theretroleague.freeforums.org/

The latest Old Game Plus was once again trying to channel Retronauts. Maybe there was a panic of their favorite podcast being no longer. Cries of Hideo Kajima were heard, as the podcast was about the Metal Gear games.

We got mentioned again(ie this whole thread) on No Quarter, for us praising them on the choice of obscure arcade games. Like I said before, obscure games are fun to bring to the light. We all know about the popular ones, for they overshadow the lesser-known ones.

• Like 1

Bad news: RF Generation Collector cast released yet another 5 hour episode. A 5 hour episode? They are not RGR. Either that, or it's the same episode I won't go through. Heh.

Good news: Now You're Playing with Podcast is on ITunes.

Again, where does Gamester81 get all this free time to make video podcast episodes?

Really $29,000 above goal and for what????

guess if one of the rewards was walking off a cliff to rocks below the Lemmings would back it

post-8029-0-42772500-1364675146_thumb.jpg

and no your not my favorite classic gaming podcast

• Like 1