IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

I will definintly buy a production version. I could try to test a prototype, but I have been so insanely busy at work, and am also trying to get a project car running for a summer car show - my free time is nill so I don't want to commit and not be able to properly test. But I own at least one of all of your A8 projects - and I am in for this one as well.

Edited by Stephen

it's understandable

anyways, everyone wants expensive version

that makes me wonder why i ever bothered with complicating this board so much and putting cheap assembly option

bus termination on each side depending on which cpld/fpga chip is in place - not fun, really

i hope it won't compromise signal integrity beyond the point i can fix it (without redesigning the board or cutting traces off from unused chip)

it's understandable

that makes me wonder why i ever bothered with complicating this board so much and putting cheap assembly option

bus termination on each side depending on which cpld/fpga chip is in place - not fun, really

i hope it won't compromise signal integrity beyond the point i can fix it (without redesigning the board or cutting traces off from unused chip)

Well, for this particular situation I want the expensive version. I'd end up using six of the regular ones for my other Lynx systems (I have a large family, and there are some great multiplayer games).

it's understandable

If I had the capability to reprogram the chips, I'd offer to test the cheap version right now (as the LCD is the only portion I care about), but the only programming device I have is an Altera ByteBlaster II.

i can't say if there will be production version

your community seems to be small, so i really don't know if it can withstand "production" volumes

Just putting it out there that I will definitely buy one, the expensive version, when it comes out. I am pretty swamped with personal life issues and work so wouldn't be very reliable as a tester, but I definitely want to purchase this mod for my Lynx. I'm not sure if I read the post right, but if you (Candle) want a commitment to a preorder then I commit. In fact if you want prepayment I am prepared.

Edited by MrBland

I will join in if needed , does not matter to me expensive or cheap. This is something small enough I can take on the road with me to test out. I have two lynx II's. and 3 games. I can pick up a few more and the needed programmers.

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

all: please ask yourself a question if you're commited to this, because i'll need you actually to use these units and give me some feedack

also, although no soldering skills are required you might have to reprogram cpld chips or/and avr cpu several times as i'll be writing the code for it

this might add a hidden cost of apriopriate programmer, and although avr programmers are dirt cheap, lattice ones are not - they around 60-70$ on ebay, and will be universal for all platforms (it takes xilinx, altera and lattice chips - i use all of them for various project)

you might sell these later one to someone from a8 section, or leave them as an investment

I'm interested definitely... this programmer you're speaking of, will it be suitable for programming the Incognito or U1MB boards?

I am sure there will be more takers, I am not sure if Karri, Shawn and a few others have seen this yet. If it makes it any easier I could take a cheap proto as well, or a cheap instead of an expensive. I suspect most end sales will be cheap option, that said its funny all proto testers want the expensive version.

Dont want to see this fall flat on its face at this stage.

Hi guys,

I've not been following too closely as this is getting far too technical for me. Can I ask exactly what the schematic of the board is? I thought there was a replacement screen and a docking station. Is this a picture of a replacement motherboard for the lynx? I also thought there was one version where you can choose to cut a hole in the lynx body for the output to the docking station and if you only wanted a replacement screen then you just leave the connector inside the lynx. Obviously things must've changed.

Also I think the harsh reality is the majority of people interested in this project will not be technically minded to this extent; if this is not going to be available as a product to buy then it seems to me it's going to be limited to those who can buy prototypes or make the whole thing from scratch.

Personally I'm only interested in an end-user solution for the aforementioned reason and it will be such a shame after all these months and Candle's work not to have an end product for us laymen.

I would hazard a guess that Candle's suggestion of a pre-order scheme would be the way to go, in order that he collects enough capital to source a producer for the end product. But I also think in this circumstance pre-order costs should be discussed but not thrashed out too much ;)

Hi guys,

I've not been following too closely as this is getting far too technical for me. Can I ask exactly what the schematic of the board is? I thought there was a replacement screen and a docking station. Is this a picture of a replacement motherboard for the lynx? I also thought there was one version where you can choose to cut a hole in the lynx body for the output to the docking station and if you only wanted a replacement screen then you just leave the connector inside the lynx. Obviously things must've changed.

Also I think the harsh reality is the majority of people interested in this project will not be technically minded to this extent; if this is not going to be available as a product to buy then it seems to me it's going to be limited to those who can buy prototypes or make the whole thing from scratch.

Personally I'm only interested in an end-user solution for the aforementioned reason and it will be such a shame after all these months and Candle's work not to have an end product for us laymen.

I would hazard a guess that Candle's suggestion of a pre-order scheme would be the way to go, in order that he collects enough capital to source a producer for the end product. But I also think in this circumstance pre-order costs should be discussed but not thrashed out too much ;)

It will be an end user solution - ie. if it ends up being a success at prototype, ie. bugs fixed, and if costs can be addressed. I wouldn't worry. The prototype realistically for us won't be too difficult to play around with. From what I understand it's going to be 1 PCB that just plugs in, we test it, feedback, and possibly have to program the 2 FPGA / micro controller chips on there if Candle produces some logic fixes. The only issue at the prototype stage is the additional cost for a decent programmer, but $50 to $60 isn't exactly breaking the bank in my mind, its a good investment and you could always sell it on after the prototype phase.

I would expect that after prototype Candle will probably start working out who wants a production model, and how many etc, and then work out what the costs for a run would be - he might also sell it to someone like Lotharek as he said. Even if at the end of the production run the only option is small batches of the exact same model we used for prototyping - it will still be a consumer unit, ie. just plug it in and you are away. Regards the TV out and stuff we might need to make some wires and adaptors etc ourselves but I wouldnt worry about that at this stage. If I can get the parts I don't mind making up input and output wires for people.

EDIT: regards docking station, I guess thats up to us to work out later. My understanding is that pin header at the top of the PCB would poke out the case edge (with some cutting) and provide the video out and pad input connector as one IDC type connector (that's how it looks). So all we do is use a ribbon out to a box - if you want a box... Or in my case, a ribbon out that has 2 wires on it, a high density D for VGA, and a 9 pin D for the joypad. I would rather have a couple of wires rather than a 'box' as such, but that could easily be mounted in a box if we wanted I guess - its just all more money.

Edited by GadgetUK

It will be an end user solution - ie. if it ends up being a success at prototype, ie. bugs fixed, and if costs can be addressed. I wouldn't worry. The prototype realistically for us won't be too difficult to play around with. From what I understand it's going to be 1 PCB that just plugs in, we test it, feedback, and possibly have to program the 2 FPGA / micro controller chips on there if Candle produces some logic fixes. The only issue at the prototype stage is the additional cost for a decent programmer, but $50 to $60 isn't exactly breaking the bank in my mind, its a good investment and you could always sell it on after the prototype phase.

I would expect that after prototype Candle will probably start working out who wants a production model, and how many etc, and then work out what the costs for a run would be - he might also sell it to someone like Lotharek as he said. Even if at the end of the production run the only option is small batches of the exact same model we used for prototyping - it will still be a consumer unit, ie. just plug it in and you are away. Regards the TV out and stuff we might need to make some wires and adaptors etc ourselves but I wouldnt worry about that at this stage. If I can get the parts I don't mind making up input and output wires for people.

EDIT: regards docking station, I guess thats up to us to work out later. My understanding is that pin header at the top of the PCB would poke out the case edge (with some cutting) and provide the video out and pad input connector as one IDC type connector (that's how it looks). So all we do is use a ribbon out to a box - if you want a box... Or in my case, a ribbon out that has 2 wires on it, a high density D for VGA, and a 9 pin D for the joypad. I would rather have a couple of wires rather than a 'box' as such, but that could easily be mounted in a box if we wanted I guess - its just all more money.

Thanks GadgetUK for the claification. I'm still a little lost as to the logistics. A PCB goes in the Lynx, where?! in place of what's there?

Docking station, I'm happy to have 2 outs for VGA and 9 pin D Sub, I reckon, if it keeps things simple. Although I like the idea of a box too.

It's so great that candle can do this and all you technical guys are happy to devote time and talent too. I'm so looking forward to the end solution. I can do $60 but would have to think twice if it got into the hundreds!

Cheers

I believe the PCB and LCD replace the existing Lynx 2 LCD assembly. The board converts the video for new LCD and provides the output to video and input to controller. My understanding is if people want a 'box' with video and pad input, the box would just house the pad and video connectors, and the box connects to the Lynx via a cable.

I believe the PCB and LCD replace the existing Lynx 2 LCD assembly. The board converts the video for new LCD and provides the output to video and input to controller. My understanding is if people want a 'box' with video and pad input, the box would just house the pad and video connectors, and the box connects to the Lynx via a cable.

I thought that would be the case. there must be an internal ribbon connector then to get it all connected to the main board as Candle says no soldering is involved. I did once take my lynx 2 apart as the power led was temperamental but I can't remember what it looks like other than this pic i took with no view of the back of the screen.

Yep, the box would be good. Epecially if it allowed a choice of SNES or Gensis pads but I'm happy to keep it simple and would buy a lead off you for your time and trouble if you were to make up any. When it's all done I might experiment by plugging in my 3DO and CD32 pads to see what happens!

post-7413-0-68781300-1365016909_thumb.jpg

i can't say if there will be production version

your community seems to be small, so i really don't know if it can withstand "production" volumes, but then again, i can be wrong

compared to $15 for nomad mod, this one, even in "cheap" option is going to cost a lot more, so some might say it's not worth it

on a8 section we have either manufacturers like lotharek that buy projects or redesign something for their own purposes and put it into their online shops - this is good if you have a lot of cash, not the case here

so i usually do preorders, and if there is enough takers for price break on bulk purchases i make an preorder where you have to put your money upfront and then wait

people there got used to prices in rage of 50-150$, but here $50 might be too much to ask for

this isn't something that is mass produced in China so i really can't compete pricewise here

anyways, board is routed - have to add some copper fills + termination on busses, but other than that - it is routed

Lynx2LCD-routing-day3.jpg

i would like to have nice lynx logo up there, but for that i need true type font containing it

anyone?

That board is a work of art lol. I cannot believe how quickly you've managed to create such a complex board. Regards the true type font, is that the only option - you cannot use TIFF, Bitmaps (2 bit colour) or anything else?

In an available production run,I would take a couple of each version,a couple of friends would do the same that don't know about this yet here.

I wish I had chip programmers,I would go for one of each to help support this effort. :)

Let me know when you folks are ready with these kits to sell!

I wanted to check a couple things. https://atariage.com/Lynx/archives/schematics/index.html has schematics and if you check the lower left corner you'll see there is a 5 pins item that looks like a transformer. Would anything be needed between pin 4 and 5 if the CFL is removed when you replace the LCD? Pin 3 is connected to LCD itself and is probably related to contrast control as well. Removing that transformer would greatly improve battery life but only if the rest of the circuit won't fail.

Can it be done or is it required for Lynx to work, and what should I do about pin 4 and 5?

inverter uses self-resonant cicuit build around two transistors and transformer

brightness is controlled by ealier stage with single transistor and a choke

all you have to do is to remove that choke, and inverter is disabled or - you can leave it as it is

i'm resuing some of generated voltages for sync and brightness control as they are related in amplitude and after a bit of processing you get linear brightness value for avr to control LED backlight power supply by PWM

@Candle

Let's put it like this: a homebrew sells aboout 100 - 150 copies on the Lynx. I would guess that as many people would be interested in a screen mod too if it's 50$ or so, not 150.

the peoople activein this forum are not 1:1 everyone interested in stuff like this, there's always more lurkers interested that never post.

Edited by 108 Stars