IGNORED

ULTRASATAN

lotharek

Looks like I will be going with Pera Putni since Uwe replied - apparently there are a few reasons why he cannot have a sale price but talk about a bundle price with Lotharek, which is just an excuse imo. He clearly doesnt really care about getting more users but just making more money. I wouldnt mind but I only suggested 20 to 30% off and explained there were several (at least who may buy at that price).

Personally I would now sooner pay 20 to 30% more to Pera Putni, and put up with bugs etc until it becomes stable and useful, just to kill the monopoly.

How many people want to buy hddriver here now? What would you deem a worthy price - I dont expect more than 20 to 30% off tbh, but hes asked how many people and suggested I act a reseller, which is a bit pants for me... And I am not that bothered tbh but felt I should at least count the numbers and reply to his email.

Lets assume 35eur, would you buy it?

35 eur = $45 usd is better than paying $60 usd. I would be game for that price although still a little high.

My Ultrasatan doesnt get here till next week, so I was holding off on buying the driver until I tried out the disk. I have to check my DMA with the Ultrasatan and possibly upgrade my STe's TOS first (add.. Costs).

If the driver price was lower I would of bought it instantly without question of purchase, but I was thinking of just getting a HxC with the driver money and waiting on the lower cost driver to help stop the monopoly as well.

I still want to try the PP driver and give my support to him. I know it's not going to be as mature right away as HDDRIVER, but if people buy it and give feedback it will get there. We all understand that Uwe's software and support are great, so I'm not protesting and saying I won't support him. I will keep his software in mind as a 2nd option. I did think it through rather thoroughly and decided that I felt $25-30 would be a fair price for a product as good as HDDRIVER. But keep in mind that Uwe charges for major version updates, too. Seems to me that $50-60 should include lifetime updates. Just my opinion.

I was thinking $30-$35 for normal price and $50-$60 for free lifetime upgrades. I hear HDDriver is a breeze to get up and running and that's one of the major reasons i lean toward it but again the price is rather high. With all the money i am currently putting into getting my game room up and going, I really have to watch what i spend now.

Edited by cncfreak

What we need isn't that complex actually. I've had a look at the disk format and mine has 2 x FAT12 partitions and a FAT32 partition - which might not be an active partition, I think it could be a left over from a previous format of the SD card Lotharek sent me. All I need personally is a utility to read and write files to and from FAT12 partitions. If I get time at some point and motivation I might just throw together an app to allow this. Then you can simply plug card into Windows and drag and drop files to folders on the card and stick it back in the ST.

EDIT: Not sure they were FAT12, more likely FAT16 - I can't remember since I checked earlier.

Edited by GadgetUK

But keep in mind that Uwe charges for major version updates, too. Seems to me that $50-60 should include lifetime updates. Just my opinion.

Hmm, I can't speak for others, but as far as I can remember (and keep in mind that I've been in Ataridom for a *long* time, so I may forget things),

my first purchase of HDDriver from Uwe Seimet was 6.x something or the other. To date, I don't remember ever paying for an upgrade and I'm using

8.46 now.

I've been to the HDDriver web site, and it does have a section where there are charges for upgrading. I'm not sure exactly how this works,

but as I said, I can't remember ever paying for an update since my first purchase. Just my own personal experience, and that makes my

first/initial purchase price a bargain by anyone's standards, IMHO.

EDIT: I could easily be wrong about this, since I tend to make a lot of Atari purchases. I might try to contact Uwe and see if he can correct me on

this if I did.

I just read the entire new pphdr page (is this what we should call it?) and I think it looks great. I didn't realize it was a project started in 1996. Folks, this is already a mature product! Lotharek has also stated that he's working with him, so I'm feeling very confident now. I'll be purchasing it later today.

Paid ;)

EDIT: Looks sweet btw, really glad I didn't buy hddriver now. Don't get me wrong, I am sure hddriver is a great product and all, but someone has to cater for the casual gamer, and 10 euros is great value imo. I don't even mind paying again another 10 eur for the next great version you come out with =)

Edited by GadgetUK

I just read the entire new pphdr page (is this what we should call it?) and I think it looks great. I didn't realize it was a project started in 1996. Folks, this is already a mature product! Lotharek has also stated that he's working with him, so I'm feeling very confident now. I'll be purchasing it later today.

Awesome!! I will be purchasing on Monday and spreading the word!

just for You info...

free icd driver - i started ST with usatan - 2gb card.

then i put in secodn slot FAT16 128 mb card...

restarted ST

and guess what ???

SECOND CARD was visibile in tos -- You can swap data between ST and PC...

interesting...

I recall reading somewhere the other day that there were problems writing over 32mb, though. I don't know if it applies to this combination of software/partitions/hardware/etc. I think the thread is over here: http://www.atari-for...=17697&start=50

Is this something we need to be careful about? Or is that old thread something that doesn't apply to us now?

edit: I'm not up to speed on all this stuff - I'm trying to understand everything, but I might be just asking dumb questions! haha

Edited by AnakiMana

just for You info...

free icd driver - i started ST with usatan - 2gb card.

then i put in secodn slot FAT16 128 mb card...

restarted ST

and guess what ???

SECOND CARD was visibile in tos -- You can swap data between ST and PC...

interesting...

It is known - ICD drivers, at least last versions have support for DOS partitioned disks. But, as already mentioned, you need to be careful - it will work in TOS well only with partitions smaller than 32MB. Otherwise you need program BigDOS. What is good thing, but has it's flaws, and eats some RAM too.

I recall reading somewhere the other day that there were problems writing over 32mb, though. I don't know if it applies to this combination of software/partitions/hardware/etc. I think the thread is over here: http://www.atari-for...=17697&start=50

Is this something we need to be careful about? Or is that old thread something that doesn't apply to us now?

edit: I'm not up to speed on all this stuff - I'm trying to understand everything, but I might be just asking dumb questions! haha

Ahh.. that is is thread I referred some posts earlier. So, not removed, just is not sticky anymore.

Surely need to be careful - quick tests will work fine, but as said, over 32MB will destroy your older files on partition. The reason is that DOS has pretty much different concept of BigDOS partititions (over 32 MB ones) than AHDI/TOS .

In short: FAT16 means 16-bit FAT records, and therefore can address max 2 POW 16 = 65535 units (called clusters) on partititon. It makes 32MB limit, because sector size is 512 bytes on hard disks. In BigDOS we have groups of sectors joined - in DOS it is called cluster, and may be up to 64 sectors in 1 cluster (2GB partitions). TOS-es BigDOS is little different - there are so called large sectors, also groups of regular sectors joined - up to 16 sectors in TOS 1.04-3.06, and 32 by Falcon. Plus, usual cluster size is 2 large sectors. Looks as almost irrelevant difference, but is enough that DOS/Windows handle not correct AHDI/TOS partitions, and versus.. All it means that by larger partitions short files take much more space than their length - for instance 1KB file on 512MB partition will take 8 or even 16KB. It is so called slack.

The whole concept of TOS/DOS compatible partitioning is based on similarity - we use same group sizes on both, only that BPB parameters are different in bootsector. Therefore there is 2 bootsector in each partition, first is DOS, second is TOS one. And first is only 1 sector, while second is of logical sector size length (depending on partition size). In DOS there is number of reserved sectors 1+TOS sector size. In TOS stays there only 1 .. And drivers without support for it will work badly for sure, since are not ready for 2 bootsectors.

Yes and no

Yes - the is place for thta

NO - i had to rework smal minor mistake in cased usatans with vxx power supply from usb

anyway, internal version available at my www ;-0

below :

2 ustanas the same time :-)

post-7336-0-35675900-1365353475_thumb.jpg

Edited by lotharek
  • Like 1

Nice Lotharek!

PP, i've noticed a couple of minor issues with your partioning program - if you have no card in slot 1, but a card in slot 2 it doesnt show the capacity of the card when altering partition sizes.

Also, if I put back in my PP card in slot 1, which has 8 partitions at 255Mb each, and blank card ready to partition in slot 2, then power up, it boots normally from slot 1, shows 8 partitions on info screen at boot, and correctly shows 0 partitions on slot 2. Then when you run the partition exe it just freezes on the screen, you cannot select or do anything. The solution was to boot to desktop with blank card in slot 1 and nothing in slot 2, then partition the blank card. Finally put original card back in slot 1 and new partitioned card in slot 2. I already had 8 partitions on my original card so I just created 6 on the blank card as it wont support more without extra drivers etc and that works fine.

Is 255Mb the limit? Ive read about big dos but not sure if that needs another driver?

Edited by GadgetUK