IGNORED

Adapter to Use Atari Joysticks on Intellivision

A conversation on the ColecoVision forum has taken an interesting turn: AA member grips03 has expressed interested in creating an adapter that would allow 9-pin Atari controllers to be used on the Sears Super Video Arcade and Inty II. He is asking what the new controller should look like. He can hack an existing PCB or even create a new one. What would you like to see?

Here's a link to the beginning of the Intellivision discussion: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210993-using-sega-controllers-with-colecovision/page__st__25?do=findComment&comment=2733002

happy to investigate this away. I've not played Intellivision since I was a kid. I'll buy one and look into it. Just wondering what people would want. New controller, pad hack of original PCB into another system's controller, pad hack but with new PCB, keypad support, does int need to work with keypad overlays, external adapter, etc?

I don't think that overlay support is essential; the games that really need it work best with the original controller anyway.

To me, the ideal configuration would be something like an Atari keypad (the kind that comes with Star Raiders) that has a cable that plugs into the Intellivision and a port into which you plug in any 9-pin Atari controller. Just like the Champ adapter for the ColecoVision.

I wish there was a kit to install 9-pin ports on the original INTV. That's the model I like the best. Ben Heckendorn could do his own, but I'd need all the help I could get.

The easiest way to do it is cut the controller cable in a convenient place and splice in a matching pair of male/female DB9 connectors. You'd just have to be careful to wire both connectors the same way, and ideally, in a way that matches the Intellivision II's pinout (so you can use Sears or Intellivision II controllers if needed).

As for designing an adapter, or creating a new controller ... either option is complicated, for reasons I explained when this subject was raised in an earlier thread:

Given the expense of designing a new controller, and the limited market for it, I think it would be a better idea to find a suitable controller that is already in existence, and design an interface which would allow it to be used with the Intellivision. This isn't quite as easy as it is with other systems because you'd need some "glue logic" to convert the controller's native signals to the Gray codes of the Intellivision hand controller, but it can be done. Beyond that, you'd also need to figure out a convenient way to provide power for the controller/interface, since the Intellivision's controller ports do not provide power, and to interface it with the original Intellivision, which doesn't even provide controller ports.

thanks for the previous threads. I'm not sure on how to make a 16 way controller. But I'll buy a Sear Super Video Arcade anyway and take it apart to see what would be possible. Most of the controllers I've hacked are 8 way and I've converted one 8 way to 4 way for Pac-Man game thanks to 3d printing a new 4-way gate (Shapeways.com) and a friend with Solidworks.

Would people even be interested in a 8 way controller?

What is a fair price to buy Sears Super Video Arcade?

Edited by grips03

thanks for the previous threads. I'm not sure on how to make a 16 way controller. But I'll buy a Sear Super Video Arcade anyway and take it apart to see what would be possible. Most of the controllers I've hacked are 8 way and I've converted one 8 way to 4 way for Pac-Man game thanks to 3d printing a new 4-way gate (Shapeways.com) and a friend with Solidworks.

I think most of the games don't require 8 ways. One method would be to hack a ColecoVision Super Action Controller. There's a pair of pads in each of the NE, NW, SE, SW corners that could be tapped into.

Funny that this subject comes up. I was thinking that it would be really cool if the Inty had a space-fighter game like Wing Commander, but it would really need a fighter-stick-type controller.

A game like that would be a tall order, but I think something might be possible with some clever GRAM work for the stars (maybe no more than a dozen visible at a time) and all cockpit displays in the bottom 2 or three card rows. The original WC used sprites rendered at various angles rather than 3D models for the enemy ships, so the only real 3D stuff would be in calculating where to put a sprite and which GRAM image to use rather than in any rendering.

Are people ok with Jay Tilton's approach?

http://web.archive.o...intvsticky.html

This would require DC power source via the console or battery, or wall transformer. This way I could get away with 4 switch joystick and provide 8 directions. u/d/l/r and ul,ur,dl,dr. Arcade style joysticks and buttons could then be used. If you use a Neo Geo AES controller as the base then the keypad can fit inside the controller. This would be very pricey, but all in one.

Would you prefer battery or 3.5mm jack borrowing +5 from the console or wall transformer?

AA batteries could be changed without opening the controller. Led would be added to let you know you know the controller is on.

Diode method Bacteria used would require 8 switches, but no power. But most arcade controllers don't have 8 switches.

Does the INTV have a test cart program, for testing controller inputs?

Edited by grips03

Do people own both CV and INTV?

Since both have keypad I could make controller support both systems.

INTV mode would require power, CV mode does not require power.

CV mode supports Atari 2600, Commodore 64 as well (this is already working). I was going to add Atari 7800 and Vectrex support first, but perhaps more people like the INTV?

Are people ok with Jay Tilton's approach?

http://web.archive.o...intvsticky.html

This would require DC power source via the console or battery, or wall transformer. This way I could get away with 4 switch joystick and provide 8 directions. u/d/l/r and ul,ur,dl,dr. Arcade style joysticks and buttons could then be used. If you use a Neo Geo AES controller as the base then the keypad can fit inside the controller. This would be very pricey, but all in one.

Would you prefer battery or 3.5mm jack borrowing +5 from the console or wall transformer?

AA batteries could be changed without opening the controller. Led would be added to let you know you know the controller is on.

Diode method Bacteria used would require 8 switches, but no power. But most arcade controllers don't have 8 switches.

Does the INTV have a test cart program, for testing controller inputs?

I like the battery solution myself, the only reason being that people wouldn't have to send in their Intellivisions to be modded for the jack. The battery solution would be more convenient and cost-effective, but the jack is a better solution for those who have the time and money to mod.

The ColecoVision Super Action controller would be an interesting option, although my dislike of the trigger action buttons would make the project almost not worth it.

Oh, and a Sears Inty should cost about $50-$60 by itself, although prices for Intellivision stuff has been rising a lot lately. Pairs of Sears controllers by themselves have been going for $40-$50.

do you guys like this type of layout?

http://www.flickr.co...N08/8618866891/

I could leave with SNK buttons, or replace with Seimitsu 24mm screw (as shown)

for INTV mode what would I map to button D, select and start?

For Colecovision mode I use button D = CV button 4, and select = Keypad 1 and start = Keypad *

Edited by grips03

I've been looking at possibly modding an SMS gamepad to put in the extra directions. I'd have to replace the board under the D-pad but Sparkfun has something that might work. There are a couple of possibilities for adding a third button so that all of the side buttons would be covered, but I like putting one along the top edge like a shoulder button best.

The keypad would be a problem, though. One possibility would be to add a second SMS backing to double the controller thickness and put a keypad underneath. Another one might be to use a 2.5 HDD enclosure and basically make the controller into a "T" shape.

A really cool way would be to have a recessed keypad that rotated out from underneath, but I have no idea how to pull that off.

Edited by JohnPCAE

This is also very tempting, however, since there is room inside the controller for a third button, but it would mean we'd need someone to create some custom glossy graphics:

I have a pair of mint originals (bought WAY back when at Toys 'R Us but never really played it) if anyone needs a high-res photo.

post-7945-0-72929900-1365722453_thumb.png

Edited by JohnPCAE

I bid $82 on eBay today for white Intv 2 system, but lost to another person who bid $84 :(

Hopefully I bid enough on the next one.

In general here is what I have for costs on making the controller.

Costs are high due to low volume and shipping and getting parts from Japan, US, etc.

Neo Geo AES controller used from eBay $80 -hit-japan on ebay

Cutting AES controller for keypad on milling machine ??

new PCB $20 - I'll design in Eagle and oshpark.com would fab

battery holder= $10 - mouser.com

low power led = $1 - mouser.com

TTL logic parts = $3 mouser.com

diodes = $1 - newark.com

wires = $2 - mouser.com

hotglue to hold keypad to front of controller = $1

at-110/at-187 quick connector and covers = $15 (not needed if people are ok with wires soldered to buttons and controller) akihabarashop.jp

keypad = $10 - allelectornics.com KP-12 hopefully can be used

new Seimitsu buttons and ball top = $20 (optional - unless PCB gets bigger due to adding Intv to CV PCB) akihabarashop.jp

new DB9 cable $10 - ebay

DB9 header or connector to PCB = $1-5

Ribbon cable from PCB to keypad = $1

Power switch (turns controller on and enables Intv mode = ??

4-way gate 3d printed = $20 (if someone wanted 4 way controller for Pac-Man type game), default gate with controller is 8-way

In the end it would be very close to $200. Hence in the past I've made these things for myself and never to sell. But if people thinks it worth it I'll build a prototype.

Edited by grips03

Thanks for itemizing the cost. $200 is a bit steep for me and will probably limit how many are ordered. As Cmart says, if there could be dual compatibility with the CV and INTV for not much more cost, $200 is a lot more reasonable.

It's too bad that we'd have to sacrifice a brand new Neo Geo controller; this is the largest expense too. Anyone know of comparable alternatives? However, it looks as though all of the components would be very high quality.

Dual capability will be there and won't really effect price. The big ticket items are the used Neo Geo controller to use and shipping. I tried to make reproduction Neo Geo controller using Hammond case and Seimitsu controls but the case just wasn't as good. If people know of a better source to get sac / base controller let me know.

The big pain is shipping because each place charges like $5-10 to send anything. It like death by shipping charges.

Once I build the prototype I'll have a better estimate.

Inty 2 has been ordered.

Edited by grips03

Here a thought, instead of destroying a legacy NG JS, use a new neo geo x and add the appropriate cable, probably much cheaper?????

http://www.bestbuy.c...=3629892&loc=01

this would work. Dimentions are the same so keypad would fit, case plastic on these NGX controlles is kind of bad compared to the original, but still usable. Microswitches for the controller are kind of bad compare to the original - very clicky and not in a good click kind of way. Balltop is also kind of cheap, compared to original. Same with the buttons. Buttons are easy to replace however.

Evg2000 have you tried to remove the joystick's balltop, does it have standard threads? I no longer have my NGX otherwise I would do it.

Edited by grips03

This is also very tempting, however, since there is room inside the controller for a third button, but it would mean we'd need someone to create some custom glossy graphics:

I have a pair of mint originals (bought WAY back when at Toys 'R Us but never really played it) if anyone needs a high-res photo.

PC-Engine Avenue 3 pad (and PC-Engine Blaster) have 3 buttons already and is a little nicer than SMS pad, but it does have turbo buttons, so someone still might want to make new overlay.

If people like pads more I could go this route and just have external box with keypad, but then games that need fast keypad pressing would be harder to use as keypad would be remote from the controller.

If going this route I would just use Super Famicom controller with external keypad box in order to have 4 buttons for Coleco use as well. I have some of those pads here so I might build two prototypes.

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1