IGNORED

would that work? Mortal Kombat on the Lynx

Tempest2k

Wondering, if you had the source code for Amiga MK, plus the development environment for Lynx... Lot of work, anyway.

You could write a PC based application that converts each 68000 instruction into a sequence of 6502 instructions automatically and flags up the ones that it can't handle (for whatever reason). However, the end result will more than likely be very slow, potentially buggy and will not make the best use of the target machine. In my opinion, by the time you've done the conversion tool and got it going you could probably be a long way into developing a new game from scratch in the same time frame.

• 4 weeks later...

Here´s an old April´s fools, there should be a ROM out there too, but I can´t find it. The ROM only has still pics, it´s a slideshow.

atarimk2.gif

But actually this could work; the idea was to change the character palettes for every background, so the game could make the best of the small palette with every combination of characters and backgrounds.

The image here is sadly a JPEG, so many colors are added due to the fugly compression, but it gives a good idea how a low color MK could look on Lynx.

• 1 year later...

It would have played well, but you can't just 'port' the code from another console, at least not without a tonne of work. I've looked at this already to see if we can translate NES or C64 games to the Lynx and besides screen size differences and sound chips, it would be difficult with the Lynx memory map and encrypted loader etc.

Edit: If someone can give me Lynx sized images of all the char animations and backgrounds (all graphics to work with 160 x 102) I could write this in no time.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes... The old Atari Times Mortal Kombat II prank... Man, I wish that was real!

The slideshow program was written for me by Mathias Domin. It's still available on the Atari Tmes website.

http://www.ataritime...showarticle=314

BTW, the entire article is fake (obviously) and was ghost-written by me with authorization by Ethan Nobles to use his name. Greg Omi also said it was okay to use his name in the article. So that stuff about the pallet swapping technique... Fake. I imagine that would be pretty tough to pull off. Especially with so many characters.

Edited by Gregory DG

Thanks for the link. :)

I know that the thing was a prank, but just as a hobby pixel artist I have been seriously giving the palette swap thing some thought. If it is possible on a technical level, I would think it might actually be a viable idea. Lots of optimizaton for the pixel artist, but the result may actually be a better looking game.

I could pick some primary colors needed everywhere anyway, like black, white, red (very important for MK^^), and like have the skin colors of the sprites vary depending on background. Lot of planning, but I think your idea could work; after all the fake screenshots look pretty damn good. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Actually we could use the sprites from the NES version. They have 6 colors per character and beeing 70 pixels height, rescaling is not needed.

I can imagine that black and at least 1 "flesh" color are common to all of them, which made 16-6-6+2 = 6 colors free for BG.

It's not much but it makes the conversion process much easier.

All sprites are available are http://spriters-resource.com/

GadgetUK, I recognize that you code well and fast (I really liked your lynx ops project) but I'm pretty sure you would need more time than "no time" to code a mortal kombat clone ;)

Edited by LordKraken

They are still a bit big imo. Actually, a bit bigger than the ones from the Lynx mock up and the GB version I believe. Here's a pic in Lynx resolution with different versions of MK sprites in it; they all take up a lot of space on the screen and gameplay would suffer imo.

I will definitely try how small I can go with them while still looking decent. :)

post-21561-0-63569500-1366131447.png

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

Here's a nice try; I took the GameBoy Raiden and had him automatically resized to 80% of the original size. Already makes quite a difference imo, and doesn't look too bad, especially since this is just the automatic resize function of Irfanview, now touching it up by hand yet.

I replaced the Lynx part with the smaller sprite.

post-21561-0-52588300-1366133548.png

And even smaller, 70% of GB size:

post-21561-0-77123700-1366133939.png

There is detail lost, I can't argue with that. It might still look decent enough in motion though, and would offer good playability.

But the 80% size might already be an okay compromise between looks and gameplay.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1