IGNORED

SCROLLOUT - follow the Ball! (Atari 2600)

Mr SQL

SCROLLOUT - follow the Ball!

New! ATARI 2600 PORTABLE compatible!
Is a scrolling Breakout game where you control the scrolling; once you breakout into the land beyond you can sit back and listen to the ball bouncing all around the virtual world, or you can follow it with the camera and put English on it to influence it a bit.

You have unlimited lives and the game is completed when there are no more blocks on the screen.

The character in the center of the screen, is also playing Scrollout :)

Scrollanoid features an original chip-tune composed by Der Luchs!

An expanded and extended version of the game called SCROLLANOID is under development.

Play on the real hardware if you can; phosphor should be turned on in Stella and OpenGL drivers should be installed if you are using the emulator or Scrollout will not display properly.

Enjoy the game, ideas and comments welcome!
scrollout5.bin

Here also is the previous version of Scrollout which is almost impossible to play but an interesting demo:
Scrollout2.bin

Edit: Flashback Portable Support added!

All Atari 2600 consoles are now supported! :)

Scrollout7E.bin

Edited by Mr SQL
  • Like 2

Here is the latest build of Scrollout:

Scrollout7.bin

I really like the :) French Retro Gamer Review of Scrollout: :)

Don't be fooled by Scrollouts graphical resemblance to some of the first primative Atari games, Scrollout is a new genre... the beauty is in the gameplay... once you have sent the Ball wisely breaking through the first barrier it disappears to a distant plane of the table where you can listen to it or follow it as you choose.

And now you also have more control of the ball to subtly change the angle on it's long journey through the virtual world for more interesting gameplay. I've slowed it down a bit too.

And if you have a black and white Television, Scrollout supports the BW switch and changes to an all grey scale palette like some of our favourite retro games :)

This is a pretty sweet variation of the Breakout idea. One question: there's no way this would work with paddles is there? It feels weird playing a Breakout game with a joystick. I realize the left and right view necessitates something beyond what a single paddle could do but given the 2600 paddles come in pairs I was wondering if one paddle could be used to control the bat and the other paddle could be used to pan the view left and right? Maybe that would be too awkward for playing.

This is a pretty sweet variation of the Breakout idea. One question: there's no way this would work with paddles is there? It feels weird playing a Breakout game with a joystick. I realize the left and right view necessitates something beyond what a single paddle could do but given the 2600 paddles come in pairs I was wondering if one paddle could be used to control the bat and the other paddle could be used to pan the view left and right? Maybe that would be too awkward for playing.

ComputerSpaceFan,

Thank you, I'm glad you like the game :)

Great question! I've thought about paddle implementations, but the issue is just as you've stated - how to keep the player in control of the camera at the same time? Two paddles would work but I agree with you that would be kind of awkward and difficult to control compared to one joystick.

There have been a few variations between the initial demo version and this one. With the demo version a paddle would work fine since the camera is under control by the CPU and follows first the paddle and then the ball - one problem both my pong champion friends and the children in my test group noted was that the combination of vertical and horizontal scrolling was too much and just not fun so it had to go, just side scrolling was more fun. Then putting the side scrolling under player control made it actually part of the game and increased the fun; I could put that back under CPU control to allow single paddle play but I think it just doesn't match the fun of being able to sometimes follow the ball, sometimes look ahead and sometimes just listen to it bounce around the distant plane of the table.

• 3 years later...