IGNORED

60 fps video using SIDE 2

phaeron

I was thinking the same thing last night, but I don't think it would be possible for the blitter to address the IDE data register (or indeed any location outside the VBXE RAM window). Shame, since I was imagining 320x200x256 60fps video. And even if the blitter could deliver data outside of the VBXE banking window, I doubt the Atari's RAM could keep up. Otherwise we could have used the blitter as a DMA hard disk driver...

Edited by flashjazzcat

My Sandisk 256 CF card with Side1 and Side2 on real hardware 130XE throw's a blue line to screen declaring a READ ERROR and some numbers that I didn't write down. My other faster CF cards are in use and I think I remember a statement about using a 256 MB CF setting.

Doh... if you're getting this immediately, it could be the SET MULTIPLE MODE command that's causing the problem. Try this version of the player, which has the error check for that command commented out... in the meantime, I'll look into rewriting the init code so it doesn't fail out if some of the modes aren't supported.

movplay60n-smm.zip

Edited by phaeron

Sadly VBXE can only address it's own Ram. It could assist FMV by using blit for RLE decompression and the like but generally detailed video wouldn't benefit very much and the CPU overhead of setting everything up would likely make it slower than Avery's current method.

I'd be interested if anyone else has gotten this to work on real hardware -- hopefully there is more than one Atari in the world that can run this successfully. Right now this requires NTSC, as I haven't gotten to modifying the pipelines and doing an encode for PAL. CompactFlash card compatibility is also an issue -- the runs I've been doing on real hardware are from a 512MB "high speed" PQI card, since the other 256MB Mr. Flash card wasn't fast enough. Note that it'll work on a SIDE 1, if it's stable; I have it successfully working on both my SIDE 1 and SIDE 2 carts.

I gave it a quick go but the only real hardware I have is an internal MyIDE. I edited the player source commenting out the references SIDE and changing IDE_BASE to $d100.

CF card is a 2GB Sandisk.

I get "Error 5104 E00000010" (or something similar).

I had assumed my MyIDE isn't up to the task but just in case I thought I'd better report my result.

Edited by a8isa1

Whoops... it's probably because it's still trying to issue a READ MULTIPLE command. My CF card apparently lets me get away with a lot of sins. The bytes that are shown are status, error, and the 32-bit LBA -- the 51 byte indicates error and the 04 byte means ABRT, or bad command. For this reason I'm pretty sure it's gotten into the main loop and it's the sector read that's failing.

Try this version -- it replaces the READ MULTIPLE command with a regular READ SECTOR command. If you still encounter problems, temporarily add a jmp * right before "jmp main_loop_start" to see if the program's getting to that point, and if it is, then try removing the error check by replacing "bcs err" in the main loop with a NOP. Oh, and if you do get it successfully reading sectors, the Start button restarts playback.

Thanks for testing so far!

movplay60n-smm2.zip

• Like 1

Whoops... it's probably because it's still trying to issue a READ MULTIPLE command. My CF card apparently lets me get away with a lot of sins. The bytes that are shown are status, error, and the 32-bit LBA -- the 51 byte indicates error and the 04 byte means ABRT, or bad command. For this reason I'm pretty sure it's gotten into the main loop and it's the sector read that's failing.

Try this version -- it replaces the READ MULTIPLE command with a regular READ SECTOR command. If you still encounter problems, temporarily add a jmp * right before "jmp main_loop_start" to see if the program's getting to that point, and if it is, then try removing the error check by replacing "bcs err" in the main loop with a NOP. Oh, and if you do get it successfully reading sectors, the Start button restarts playback.

Thanks for testing so far!

I'm now getting a screen of pale green lines every other scanline except for the first line which is light gray.

This is working now. With a 130 XE and side2. Love the Start Button. :thumbsup: Sound and transition between scenes and color are great.

I have liked Anime since it first came out.

Sweet, independent confirmation!

I won't deny that I like anime. It's convenient for this, though, because of its saturated colors.

I'm now getting a screen of pale green lines every other scanline except for the first line which is light gray.

Did you change the character base? It's probably this line that needs adjustment:

mva        #$d4 chbase

This needs to be #$d0 for internal MyIDE, or #>ide_data for general form. The character array needs to change too but should already adjust itself. Pale green is a bit odd, though... that would indicate something like $77 is coming out of $D500.

Did you change the character base? It's probably this line that needs adjustment:

mva #$d4 chbase

This needs to be #$d0 for internal MyIDE, or #>ide_data for general form. The character array needs to change too but should already adjust itself. Pale green is a bit odd, though... that would indicate something like $77 is coming out of $D500.

Ah.

OK, made that change and added the swapuv filter to my mencoder commandline.

It's working great and looks beautiful!

The colors are better on real hardware (although maybe my scan converter is tweaked more than I realized).

I'll hook up the ol' TV over the weekend.

This is amazing!

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Should work as-is with a SIDE 1.

Attached are versions of the player and encoding tools for targeting PAL. I don't have an Atari or capture device compatible with PAL, so no captured video this time and I've only been able to test in emulation. Here's a version of the GT3 clip re-encoded for PAL:

http://www.mediafire.com/?as6fy3rhi55o34i

Encoding parameters are: 160x192 4:2:0 progressive YCbCr at 49.86 fps, 15.557KHz 8-bit mono audio. And yes, those fractional values are important -- first time I tested I accidentally used the NTSC 15.7KHz rate and saw visible desync. The audio encoder is the same, but the video encoder produces different colors and reversed Y/C lines, while the mux puts 312 audio bytes/frame instead of 262.

50fps-tools.zip

• Like 3

Attached are versions of the player and encoding tools for targeting PAL.

Worked first time on my PAL 1200XL using SIDE2 and a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II CF card:

Video output is nice and bright, since this machine is outputting on RGB via VBXE2 emulating a standard GTIA core with PAL blending support.

Awesome, basically. :)

Ah.

The colors are better on real hardware (although maybe my scan converter is tweaked more than I realized).

This is amazing!

-SteveS

Terrible video quality but here's Movplay60n running on my NTSC 800XL with internal MyIDE. B

TW, it's a .MOV file. Mencoder was not cooperating when I tried to transcode it).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The PAL version of the player is in the 50fps-tools.zip archive I posted earlier. You'll also need a video stream that's been encoded for PAL (such as the GT3 clip), a SIDE or SIDE 2 cartridge, and a way to copy that stream onto a CompactFlash card as a raw sector dump (a file on a FAT32 partition will NOT work). A MyIDE or MyIDE-II interface should also work although you will need to modify the IDE base address in the player and rebuild it.

The PAL version of the player is in the 50fps-tools.zip archive I posted earlier. You'll also need a video stream that's been encoded for PAL (such as the GT3 clip), a SIDE or SIDE 2 cartridge, and a way to copy that stream onto a CompactFlash card as a raw sector dump (a file on a FAT32 partition will NOT work). A MyIDE or MyIDE-II interface should also work although you will need to modify the IDE base address in the player and rebuild it.

Can I learn how you build that testhd.bin files

solved :)

how to FLASH SIDE II..

-download SDX446_images.zip (2,6MB) - from spartados.com..

-use file SDX446_side.atr

make sparta dos ATR, insert sdx446a_side2.rom to that ATR

boot from D1 (sio2pc, sio2sd, etc) SDX446_SIDE.ATR.. then switch atr (YOUR ATR WITH SIDE II).. flash, enjoy

tested.. working

Edited by w1k

Can I learn how you build that testhd.bin files

The process is a bit raw but you'll find what you need within this thread.

Original NTSC directions and toolkit:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/#entry2743367

Updated toolkit for normal width video:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/page__st__25#entry2744987

PAL directions and toolkit:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/page__st__50#entry2747884

You'll need to compile the converters and a video program to convert source video to the raw formats that the converters take. I did it with VirtualDub; if you look through the thread you'll also find some hints on how to do this with mencoder. The converter programs should be portable enough to compile without much modification on any platform.

Ah.

This is amazing!

-SteveS

I didn't get around to hooking up the TV until this past weekend. Unfortunately, this old '90s portable TV doesn't like this format at all. Everything is grayscale with just the barest hint of color. Adjusting saturation had no effect. What little color I can see is only visible when I turned contrast to minimum.

The only connection open to me is composite video on that TV.

The same cable works OK with my scan converter.

Could my problem be due to a cable termination issue? The 800XL has the Super Video XL mod but only up to 2.0.

Edited by a8isa1