IGNORED

Fallen Angels

DrTypo

Well, I got it running on my skunk 3 on just the base unit K Jaguar. I just started playing the game, I have it paused right now, on level 6, with an alien banging my cockpit window. I haven't tried a power cycle yet to see if it starts again. But i hope to get it working on jiffi CD.

Anyway, I'm loving it, the aliens are cool looking, well drawn. It's very much like RoF, so that's good, I do miss the cracking cockpit glass when the Alien smashes through, but updated graphics make up for a few small things missing like that. I love the flying saucers. I love the tunnel and descent to the planet (what no stars?) and it's great to have levels of day, twilight and night,etc. But it doesn't seem to change from day to night within a level, at least I haven't noticed, will have t look closer. All in all, it's RoF 2K!Great job Dr. Typo! And if you do an official release, I will buy it! Maybe a release with Tube and Fallen Angels on one CD? Well worth the average prices going for jag CD's together or seperate, like KM and Impulse for example.

Edited by Gunstar

i noticed that the .cof file of Fallenangels is ~900kb and if i upload it to skunkboard (standardsettings GUI) v3 then it doesnt flash???

does it load directly into jaguarram?

cause if i restart the jag its gone and the rom i uploaded bevore is still there (bank 1 for example)

so does this mean it saves skunkboard flashing resources this way (writecycles on chip)???

Was this video made on an emulator?

No, real hardware.

I ask becuase the frame-rate is much choppier than the real thing...

Youtube is 30fps. I'm not sure what frame rate the game runs at. It's the same with all our games that run at 60fps, they look choppy on youtube, see

vs Capped.tv for instance.

i noticed that the .cof file of Fallenangels is ~900kb and if i upload it to skunkboard (standardsettings GUI) v3 then it doesnt flash???

does it load directly into jaguarram?

cause if i restart the jag its gone and the rom i uploaded bevore is still there (bank 1 for example)

so does this mean it saves skunkboard flashing resources this way (writecycles on chip)???

Fallen Angels loads directly to RAM, it's not a cartridge image. If you want to flash it to your skunk, use JiFFI to convert it into a ROM and flash it for you of if you don't use a windows PC ask someone to do it for you.

Since it's really a BJL file for ram, I don't think it saves at all. But the original game it's based on didn't save scores or level either after a power off, and this homage is staying pretty darn close to the original in most ways. You can choose whatever level when you start, and any scores will have to be photographed for permanent hard-copy save. Actually, even if it were a rom image there's no ability to save except on an old Atari flashcart or to make it into a real cart with an eeprom. Maybe we can talk Dr. Typo into a full CD release, with one more game feature to save to memory track.

This game, though, I would really love to see a full cartridge release, box and all, that I could have on display next to original Atari 5200 and 800 Rescue On Fractalus boxed cartridges...

At the least, hopefully someone is making up CD jackets and labels for the game as Jiffi CD as I write.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Since it's really a BJL file for ram, I don't think it saves at all. But the original game it's based on didn't save scores or level either after a power off, and this homage is staying pretty darn close to the original in most ways. You can choose whatever level when you start, and any scores will have to be photographed for permanent hard-copy save. Actually, even if it were a rom image there's no ability to save except on an old Atari flashcart or to make it into a real cart with an eeprom. Maybe we can talk Dr. Typo into a full CD release, with one more game feature to save to memory track.

This game, though, I would really love to see a full cartridge release, box and all, that I could have on display next to original Atari 5200 and 800 Rescue On Fractalus boxed cartridges...

At the least, hopefully someone is making up CD jackets and labels for the game as Jiffi CD as I write.

post-21805-0-99777500-1367887906_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful CD Jacket.My only question, is this really a demo? This is, as I understand it, the final complete game.

I think this jacket might have been made after the initial demo of FA was released about 4-6 months ago. It is a great jacket, but it does need the demo print removed.

After spending some more quality time with Fallen Angels, reaching level 13, getting my arse handed to me on a silver platter, then selecting level 99 with a similar result, I have to say once again, "KUDOS" to DrTypo and all who were involved with this project. The flying saucers later on that hang around and do target practice on you are especially devious and a nice extra touch to the game over the original RoF. It's everything i need in a remake of the game, of course I always want more, because more is better, according to AT&T anyway...

Loving it and while typing this message, listening to the title screen music at length for the first time, and I say Kudos to it too, very Terminator or Blade Runner-esque! Good job Marcus!

• Like 3

I played through level 15 okay. I tried level 25 and got ingloriously shot down after picking up four pilots. The shooting, shielded drones definitely get challenging, as do the ever more aggressive turrets.

Not if it's sticking to the original game, and so far it has. You are a rescue ship with minimal defenses and fire power (sort of like a troop transport chopper), with more enemies "on the ground" than your intelligence reports suggested. No wing men, the mother-ship does fly-by's for emergency retrieval. The rescues are suicide missions. SNAFU. Good luck pilot! Every hero's dream scenario for a good day to die.

Edited by Gunstar

Is anyone able to post up a link to an ISO immediately burnable with discjuggler please? For us slightly less technically minded.

All the best.

here is a zip file with jiffi converts .bjl, .cof etc., CD image that burns with discjuggler. If you can use discjuggler, you certainly have the aptitude to use jiffi, it's easier.

You open the Jag_.cof file inside Jiffi window and then select a destination point (like drive C:) and then clcik on the option to "make cdi jiffi image" and it give you a disc juggler, ready-to-burn, image at the other end. On the discjuggler side, you open up the newly made discjuggler image, click advanced and make sure the settings are: audio (check), blocksize 2352 (check), offset 0 (check), TOC: CD-DA (check), RAW enabled (check). Push start to burn the CD.

I tried to post the .cdi file, but the site won't accept my 7zip archives. Just use jiffi below with the .cof image to make a .cdi image.

Jiffi: http://reboot.atari....boot/jiffi.html

jiffi_1.42.zip

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1