IGNORED

Princess Rescue Binaries Released!

Albert

The horizontal physics are completely different from the NES due to the fact the playfield has to scroll in chunks equal to 1/40th the screen size rather than 1/256th like on NES. Compromises had to be made and as a result the horizontal movement is not as fluid a motion, with Mario red plumber starting/stopping instantly rather than accelerating and sliding to a stop. However, Sprybug seems to have totally rewritten his engine and perfected the horizontal acceleration in his upcoming game Sonic Zippy the Porcupine.

Thanks for the explanation. "Red Plumber" and "Zippy" on the 2600..Very cool. I have to come here more often so I'm up on things ;)

Hey Chris, thank yoi so much for releasing these ROMs for free, and I tip my hat to you for this very special, wondeful technical acheivemnt, as well as a peice of art in my book. :thumbsup:

I regret missing out on a boxed copy. Hopefully there are future pressings though. :)

Hey Chris, thank yoi so much for releasing these ROMs for free, and I tip my hat to you for this very special, wondeful technical acheivemnt, as well as a peice of art in my book. :thumbsup:

I regret missing out on a boxed copy. Hopefully there are future pressings though. :)

Thanks and BTW, catch the original forum post on PR. There will be another box run soon.

• Like 1

just as long as his third game isnt "red plumber and zippy at the special olympics..." :ponder:

Don't worry. I have the "Mario and Sonic" at the 2012 Olympic Games in London for my 3DS and well...some of the mini games are fun. Story mode is ridiculous tho.

• Like 1

Thanks for making this available. I own the cart, but I like my Harmony Cart as complete as can be :) Great game btw. When I first played it, the "feel" of Mario was tricky. I was not landing my jumps, thus falling to my death. But within an hour, it wasn't even an issue anymore. Just had to get used to the feel. Great job!

I've played this with a joystick and a Megadrive (Genesis) controller. I find it easier to land my jumps when I'm using a joystick.

Anyone else have trouble loading it onto a harmony in development mode? Works fine in multicart mode, but the harmony cart software (computer side) crashed when I tried to download the game onto the cartridge.

There's been an updated release of the Harmony Programming Tool, mentioned here (it seems the main page hasn't been updated to mention it). The software itself is available here (again, the main page hasn't been updated to point to it).

This release has a fix specifically for F4/F4SC ROMs causing a crash.

There's been an updated release of the Harmony Programming Tool, mentioned here (it seems the main page hasn't been updated to mention it). The software itself is available here (again, the main page hasn't been updated to point to it).

Cool, didn't catch that. Thanks for pointing it out!

I'd be more interested to see if there is a way to flash a 64kb ROM like Zippy somehow, since real hardware is my preferred method for playing ROMs.

Sorry, that one's outside my control. I don't work on the hardware side of things, but if there is some way for the hardware to do it, I will modify the software as required. But I don't think it can be done with the current iteration of Harmony.

The Harmony cart was designed with high priority for low costs. Therefore a special ARM chips was chosen, which only allowed 32K ROM and IIRC 2K RAM. For Boulder Dash, a slightly different chip with more RAM was used which only required minor modifications for the other hardware.

I don't know how the current situation is, but maybe there are more powerful chips available, which are (mostly) compatible with the existing Harmony design.

You're talking about the Harmony Programming Tool, right? I just updated step #1 here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-harmony-cartridge.html#firmware_upgrading

Scroll down a little to step #1 to see what I added.

I've played this with a joystick and a Megadrive (Genesis) controller. I find it easier to land my jumps when I'm using a joystick.

The first few games I played, I used a joystick. I did like the feel better, but didn't like the method to run/fire, so I switched to controller.

I'm trying the Genesis pad on a real 2600 and not getting anything different. C does nothing.

If you have a harmony cart, then you can first test to see if your Genesis buttons are working. I made this test rom a long time ago:

post-7074-0-84318500-1376265534_thumb.png

Genesis Button Tester.zip

Truthfully, I've never tested this on real hardware either... just by selecting Genesis joysticks through Stella. But it should work. :ponder: Anyhow, give it a try. :)

• Like 2

wasnt it so it recognized it as a genesis controller and not a paddle?

Yes that's why.

The Harmony software can work with a joystick or a paddle. Because the Genesis controller has one button wired through the paddle connection the software will detect it as a paddle instead of a joystick, unless the B button is held down.

I'm trying the Genesis pad on a real 2600 and not getting anything different. C does nothing.

It detects it on power up, so it needs to be plugged in. I believe it will also detect when you hit reset, but I can't 100% remember. If it's not detecting it right on power up maybe it's taking the controller longer to init than the program is allowing for it. I think if you use the same method that the Haromony uses for Genesis detection it will work too.

• Like 1