IGNORED

Games that should have been made for Intellivision

mr_intv

I want Super Pro Microsurgeon. Microsurgeon is great, but its too slow for me and I am sure you can improve the game in many ways.

And again: The Intellivision desperately needs a new Racing Franchise, I would like to see a 1st Person Racer and I am sure its possible

• 4 weeks later...

Any kind of fighting game, there is a HUUUUUGE gap. But please with a special controller layout. I made a pic of the controller (I am no artist ;)). If you hold it this way, you have a pretty normal gamepad, awesome for fighting games (and also some Jump and Runs could use this layout, because its complicated if the direction-disk is under the buttons). Just use the buttons 3 and 6 for actions, maybe use some other buttons for special moves or stuff like that. Important: Whats normally "up" in games must be "right" in this case, because you hold the controller in a different way.

I think its really doable. Maybe a game like Street Fighter, or a brawler like Final Fight. I really miss a game like that :(

post-35236-0-29812400-1377718661_thumb.png

• Like 1

Any kind of fighting game, there is a HUUUUUGE gap. But please with a special controller layout. I made a pic of the controller (I am no artist ;)). If you hold it this way, you have a pretty normal gamepad, awesome for fighting games (and also some Jump and Runs could use this layout, because its complicated if the direction-disk is under the buttons). Just use the buttons 3 and 6 for actions, maybe use some other buttons for special moves or stuff like that. Important: Whats normally "up" in games must be "right" in this case, because you hold the controller in a different way.

I think its really doable. Maybe a game like Street Fighter, or a brawler like Final Fight. I really miss a game like that :(

It's a cool idea, but... The trouble is that you can't use disc and keypad at the same time. :( Night Stalker is the example that immediately springs to mind. You could use the keypad on the other controller, as some do for games like Night Stalker. If you don't need to have simultaneous use of both, then it can work, but I think it may not be what you're dreaming of.

Edited by intvsteve

Wouldn't it be 'SUPER PRO ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS CARTRIDGE' with the casing TSR demanded? Of course, you probably wouldn't be able to fit the 'SUPER PRO' part on the title screen because of it. :)

You are quite right. :bow:

Luckily, this forum is for the Intellivision - an actual 16-bit system! Otherwise, with this post I would have rolled my post count over from 255 to 0. :P

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

@ Steve

Are you sure with the keypad and disc? Its not the keypad, but in Stadium Mud Buggies you can accelerate and steer at the same time. If you are right its pretty bad, I never paid attention to that. But then maybe use the side buttons, because they are working when you use the disk :)

@ Ignorama

I'm positive of this. The controllers produce an 8-bit encoded value describing the 'state' of the controller inputs. The sound chip has two 8-bit digital I/O ports, IIRC, and these are used for controller input.

Years ago I determined the bit patterns produced by the controllers for a project, and noticed the disc and keypad share data lines. In fact, many two-key combinations produce signals identical to directions on the disc. For example, 1 and 6 pressed together produce the same output as one of the disc directions, as to 3 and 4, and many others. I remember noticing this as a kid. I don't have the specific values on hand at the moment.

The action buttons specifically NEVER use the same bits to produce their signals, so you can determine both disc and action key state simultaneously.

I'm positive William Moeller, Carl Mueller, Jr., Joe Zbiciak, Joe Fisher, and others can describe it better than I can.

When testing D2K Arcade, I kept having the game 'freeze'. The problem was, that I am the type of player that was really quick on the fire button when climbing a ladder....when a barrel was coming close, I would press the fire button before finishing climbing, and consequently had the 'up' pushed on the disc at the same time I pressed 'fire' which was interpreted as the 'pause' button.

Carl when playing never did this. He never encountered it, and it was a non-issue. However, I had him use a different fire button so it didn't happen.

@ Steve

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, very tricky console :) But in that case you can actually use the side buttons. Its a bit complicated, but you can push them with your right pointer. Or even better: We spread the Arcade Stick. If there is a HUGE userbase which uses the stick completely new games are possible

@ Ignorama

I'm positive of this. The controllers produce an 8-bit encoded value describing the 'state' of the controller inputs. The sound chip has two 8-bit digital I/O ports, IIRC, and these are used for controller input.

Years ago I determined the bit patterns produced by the controllers for a project, and noticed the disc and keypad share data lines. In fact, many two-key combinations produce signals identical to directions on the disc. For example, 1 and 6 pressed together produce the same output as one of the disc directions, as to 3 and 4, and many others. I remember noticing this as a kid. I don't have the specific values on hand at the moment.

The action buttons specifically NEVER use the same bits to produce their signals, so you can determine both disc and action key state simultaneously.

I'm positive William Moeller, Carl Mueller, Jr., Joe Zbiciak, Joe Fisher, and others can describe it better than I can.

Your explanation is close enough. The design of the Intellivision hand-controller assumes that you either use it for key input (numbers, commands, etc.) using the keypad, or for action control (e.g., run and jump/shoot), using the disc and action buttons. Even the ergonomics of the device seem to reinforce this.

dZ.

Though it would probably take too much memory, making some sort of Mario Paint-ish game where you could make a short animation, make your own music to it, and make little word balloons for your characters would be cool, but like I said, too much memory.