IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

The SAMS boards *are* good units. TurboForth allows access to it. It's worth supporting and writing code for it. It's very handy indeed in a Forth environment.

I will buy a SAMS board if there's a new run - although I already have one. If a new run is made, a jumper should be included on the board to allow the 32K to be disabled. It can clash with ram disks et al (which often also provide the 32K).

(for those that are not aware, when you use a SAMS board, you remove your TI 32K card from the PEB - the 32k is part of the 1024K on the SAMS)

• Like 1

The SAMS boards *are* good units. TurboForth allows access to it. It's worth supporting and writing code for it. It's very handy indeed in a Forth environment.

I will buy a SAMS board if there's a new run - although I already have one. If a new run is made, a jumper should be included on the board to allow the 32K to be disabled. It can clash with ram disks et al (which often also provide the 32K).

(for those that are not aware, when you use a SAMS board, you remove your TI 32K card from the PEB - the 32k is part of the 1024K on the SAMS)

You are right, I was totally ignorant of that aspect of the SAMS's card, that being a total replacement of the original 32K card. I went back and edited my previous post. Which makes it all the more interesting to me!

Thinking about it, I don't think it's possible to disable it. There's no "32k" ram as such (I.e. distinct from the 1024k) - it's just blocks of 4k which can be mapped anywhere. The same bank can even be in different memory areas simultaneously IIRC. This is potentially an issue with things like ram disk units - some of which *also* provide32k.

Well disable 32K for 1Meg is a pretty good trade off with the SAMS.

Yeah, I guess that's a no brainer, huh? :)

More of those gadgets need to get out in the wild though, when they do, I bet they'll take off just like the F18A did.

Two varieties would be optimal, one for the P-Box users, another for the side-car types.

For duplication of data the SAMS is the fastest thing possible.

Say I map a 4K page at >2000 with page number 34 and page number 44.

Thus I have 2 mapped pages at the same area of >2000 and when I write to >2000 it is in both pages at same time.

This allows me to modify one page (page number 44) without affecting the original page (page number 34).

What really gets cool is the page number 44 can be moved to another area like >F000 and used or modified.

That leads to all types of applications for programming.

Edited by RXB

Wait ... the mappers usually work by mapping logical addresses to physical addresses, not vice versa. The SAMS card uses addresses 4000, 4002, ..., 401e for the logical addresses 0000-0fff, 1000-1fff, ...

So you can put bank value 34 into 4004, but when you write 44 into that address, the other page is banked out. You won't get a chance to write to two locations at the same time.

It's the other way round: You can map the same physical address to the different logical addresses. That way you can change or read the same memory content from two different addresses. For instance, mapping one memory bank to both 2000 and A000, you can write FFFF to 2000, and A000 magically changed to FFFF as well.

Wait ... the mappers usually work by mapping logical addresses to physical addresses, not vice versa. The SAMS card uses addresses 4000, 4002, ..., 401e for the logical addresses 0000-0fff, 1000-1fff, ...

So you can put bank value 34 into 4004, but when you write 44 into that address, the other page is banked out. You won't get a chance to write to two locations at the same time.

It's the other way round: You can map the same physical address to the different logical addresses. That way you can change or read the same memory content from two different addresses. For instance, mapping one memory bank to both 2000 and A000, you can write FFFF to 2000, and A000 magically changed to FFFF as well.

Yea you can have more than one page pointing at the same ADDRESS, then move that page to another address.

Like in RXB I can do this:

100 CALL AMSINIT ! Initialize the SAMS for RXB

110 CALL AMSBANK(34,34) ! PAGE 34 is now at >2000 and >3000

120 CALL INIT

130 CALL PEEK(8192,A,B) ! >2000 address

140 CALL PEEK(12288,C,D) ! >3000 address

150 PRINT ">2000=";A;B,">3000=";C;D

Run this from Classic99 or MESS or a PGRAM and SAMS with RXB installed. (Note: RXB call it AMS not SAMS as the SAMS came much later after I created these routines)

RXB only allows Lower 8K access to SAMS from CALL AMSBANK, but you can use the other AMS commands in RXB to modify banks with a CALL LOAD instead. (Carefully)

Want to have fun? Do it to 4 mapped pages at same time.

I'm not able to upload .PDF format files to this site...

... so if anyone is interested in the BOOT program (Menu Loader) documentation in .PDF format that I just finished...

<< CLICK HERE>>

You should check out Dropbox, it's pretty good - I'm not a fan of cookies, and the host you have there requires cookies :(.

(Going ahead and downloading though ;)).

You should check out Dropbox, it's pretty good - I'm not a fan of cookies, and the host you have there requires cookies :(.

(Going ahead and downloading though ;)).

The reason I've been using WeTransfer is that I do not have to sign up. I checked out Dropbox like you asked, it appears that I would have to sign up. Anyway with WeTransfer I just give them an email address for the address it's coming from, and the address for whom it's going to (both the same, both a throw away email). The cookies never bother me because as soon as I'm done I press one little icon and all the cookies on my system are erased. :twisted:

It's also in the file attachments area of the TI Yahoo group. Hopefully, someone will load it up it to WHTECH for me.

I'll look at dropbox again for next time. I have about three or four manuals I want to update and get cleaned up...

Just zip anything you need to upload.

Thanks! I'll probably be sending some stuff your way in a month or two. I want to get these manuals out of the way before I tackle some programming on a project I've had on the back burner for a couple of months. I'm expecting things to slow down a little in January, so I'm trying to clear my plate first.

The reason I've been using WeTransfer is that I do not have to sign up. I checked out Dropbox like you asked, it appears that I would have to sign up. Anyway with WeTransfer I just give them an email address for the address it's coming from, and the address for whom it's going to (both the same, both a throw away email). The cookies never bother me because as soon as I'm done I press one little icon and all the cookies on my system are erased. :twisted:

It's also in the file attachments area of the TI Yahoo group. Hopefully, someone will load it up it to WHTECH for me.

I'll look at dropbox again for next time. I have about three or four manuals I want to update and get cleaned up...

You know, I don't recall if I had to sign up for Dropbox, since I just downloaded and installed the dropbox package from the Linux Mint repositories, but I might have had to. (I can't just delete all cookies, because there are a handful which are innocous and convenient to have ;)).

Tursi's advice is good though for sharing on the forums here - just zip 'em up! :)

I don't know how long these will last, but if you are looking for a DIRT-CHEAP keyboard for a Raspberry Pi or for experimentation, check out Dollar Tree. As of 10/30/13 they were selling these.... and yes, they are only $1.00. Head on down tomorrow if you want to grab one or two, because if they are in one store, they are usually in all of them.

gallery_35324_1027_362056.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_494261.jpg

Edited by Kevan