IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I know this thread has not been talked about for a few years. But I have to say that after taking out the Action Max unit today, its really not an attractive looking unit.

The light gun looks nice. But the unit itself looks like it could be used as a flat gray tray to put food on. Its similar to a tray that I put my dinner plate in while watching television sometimes. :-D

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

I think that most pre-NES stuff gets a pass at console design because they really didn't know what they were doing back then. Many of the designs are amusingly bad, but by the mid-80's there was no excuse for an ugly console. That said, the ugliest thing ever to grace my eyes was the Sega Master System 2. Ug, it is just hideous!

NGJ6q.png

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet in this thread. I guess maybe someone could have, but I didn't see anyone post an image. Such a disappointing design.

I know I'm replying to an old post ... I never quite thought about the aesthetics of that system. Yeah, it is kinda ugly.

Especially with the hatch flipped open and a red SMS cartridge inserted.

post-2410-0-76225800-1508785033.jpg

and even if you give it a piano black paint job

post-2410-0-67496400-1508785361_thumb.jpg

but what really concerns me, is how this post from 5 years ago is making me question my choice of SuperNT console (flipped to match the SMS photo above) ... it looks VERY familiar all of a sudden

post-2410-0-25239300-1508785373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dunno if it's the ugliest ever, but it is definitely the ugliest console I own. I like the O2, but even a minty one looks and feels like a cheap knockoff.

(Old reply, I know:)

I never had any problems with the Odyssey 2's aesthetics; in fact, I always thought it looked awesome. It doesn't look or feel cheap to me, certainly not any more than an Atari VCS. And compared to something like the Arcadia 2001--which isn't really so much ugly as simply bland and uninviting--the Odyssey looks positively deluxe, sophisticated, and futuristic. The Odyssey 2 is precisely what a video game system from the late '70s/early '80s should look like, IMO. ;)

My pick would be something like the Konix Multisystem. But of consoles that for all intents and purposes actually existed, I might go with the Famicom. You want to talk about generic and cheap-looking, the Famicom's your guy. Great games, but god damn, is that a fugly console. It looks like a chintzy Chinese knockoff of itself.

"Famicom? Pff. You're forgetting all those weird, uber-obscure transistor-radio looking Tennis/Hockey things from the '70s, poser." Fine. I give you Name Of The Game, by Allied. :P

• Like 1

This appears to be one of those threads that will not die.

The takeaway for me is that most game consoles don't age very well because fashion changes. I do think once we get to the pseudo-PC era with the PS2 and Xbox onward that things gets terribly boring with these slabs and wedges. Not necessarily ugly, but boring. At least the ugly consoles were trying to make a statement back in the day.

I think a lot of the criticism leveled at some of these consoles merely reflect these changes in fashion. For instance, people tend to have warm fuzzies to this day for the woodgrain of the 2600, and yet really, the Astrocade with its smoked plastic cover and woodgrain is pretty much the exact same industrial design, which is to make something that would have looked at-home among your stereo components. There's really nothing wrong with it as long as you don't judge it based on today's aesthetics. The same is true of the XEGS. The XEGS is a total Miami Vice 80s aesthetic. The diagonal cart port is kooky and yet sooo appropriate for mid 80s. And you can go on down the line.

I wouldn't call this pretty, that's for sure!

sega-genesis.jpg

I understand the humor, but am I the only one going to call out this pic?

That's a game cleaner in the middle, not for playing, a Master System converter for a Genesis game, there is a Game Genie inserted, 2 Sonic & Knuckles simply stacked on top of each other (they even peeled the label off one), and the CD drive is open.

Any system could be made to look worse if you stage it correctly, leave it dirty as can be, and lean it up against your leg in green cargo pants.

• Like 3

Excluding special editions (like the Pokemon N64 at the top of this page), I'll give the nod to the North American Super NES. Compared to the European and Japanese models, we absolutely got the shaft. The reason this gets the "win" over the front-loading NES is that the Famicom isn't that much better by comparison. Especially the built-in controllers - that was an awful idea. Without anything to fall back on, I guess the US/Euro NES is preferable (though the top-loader is the best NES, and an AV-modded one would be especially nice).

The same is true of the XEGS. The XEGS is a total Miami Vice 80s aesthetic. The diagonal cart port is kooky and yet sooo appropriate for mid 80s. And you can go on down the line.

No one ever confused the XEGS for being as cool as Miami Vice (if there ever even was such a thing). That stupid "Happy Easter" color scheme on the buttons was ridiculous even at the time of release.

It gets my vote. Sure they took a risk with the buttons. Maybe they should be rewarded for that? Nah . . .