IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Sad but true. The world is dumbing down!

I believe it is purposefully. You convince people that they are entitled to all forms and sorts of entertainment, care, and safety, put them into a mentality of not having to care, or be responsible, for themselves, then intelligence, reasoning, and critical thinking atrophy. Just ask the Fabians.

The naming of the states is interesting... a friend of mine who moved here from New Zealand had a running bet that I saw him do with several people that they could not list all 50 states, he put up a hundred dollars to make it worth the time. I saw some very, very frustrated people who got close, who drew themselves maps, but nobody claimed it.

In fairness, I grew up right next door, and I can't get half the states OR half the European countries. :)

Who put the out a mod to do that?

I remember the private ad in Micropendium of someone with kit to upgrade the TI Disk Controller to DSDD?

Included a upgrade Disk Controller chip and upgraded DSR?

You know, if someone did something like that today, I bet they could go to DSQD. 720K's X 2 for 1.44M in the box would be nice. Even with the 127 file limit per drive, a guy could load it up with a boat load of goodies! :)

TI did not do it: but, I have a CorComp controller that does, DSDD, that is—you probably already know that, though.

...lee

Oh yeah, wish I could justify a CorComp controller now but they are so rare and the price has gotten too rich for my blood.

Back before I got out of the TI, my machine (in the picture below) had a couple of CorComp pieces, the Disk Controller and the Triple Tech Card. In fact the two buttons on front of the Peripheral Expansion Box were for the built-in 64 printer buffer.

gallery_35324_1001_419308.jpg

• Like 3

If you are looking for a great and cheap 3D printer, look no further than the Printrbot Simple (http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-simple/). At $299 as a kit and great reviews by Make magazine, it's really the ideal starter setup. The work volume is 4"^3, and the print resolution and quality rivals many other far more expensive models. The only drawback is that you are limited to using PLA filaments only because the platform is not heated, but that may not be of great import to many users.

This will be my Christmas present even though it looks like delivery will happen past-Christmas due to the orders volume! As a side note, I don't let my family buy me Christmas presents because they are usually at a loss as to what to get me given my geeky tendencies, and I have a closetfull of ties and sweaters to last me a lifetime already :D

That is bad ass! It does not take up a lot of room, either (8” x 14” x 11”.) What software is needed to run these things? I would love to be able to print up replacement parts for some of the stuff I have and even toy around with my own designs. This thing is a hobbyist dream,

That is bad ass! It does not take up a lot of room, either (8” x 14” x 11”.) What software is needed to run these things? I would love to be able to print up replacement parts for some of the stuff I have and even toy around with my own designs. This thing is a hobbyist dream,

Per Make, it's all open-source software.

Printer control software: Repetier-Host or Printrun

Slicing software: Slic3r

I forgot to mention that it can also use an SD card to hold the printing data, so one can completely disconnect it from the PC after the data is downloaded to the card. Very handy given that it is a bit on the slow side as far as printing.

Hey, anyone want some .WAV files from some TI Cassettes I digitized today?

I know these all exist in disk form, and I have them in such a format already, but it was kind of cool to preserve the TI cassettes... they were recorded on my trusty Realistic SCP-31 tape deck with Amadeus Pro on my OS X system, in .WAV (44.1) stereo format.

:)

I'm in the process of uploading them to Dropbox if anyone wants to start pulling them... there will be 38 in total.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iwue59fg7lwp212/Os_1PxNK3d/ti-99-4a/TI-994A%20Cassettes

• Like 2