IGNORED

Magellan

The Codex

thanks again.

What you think about to change the import function. Now when we for example import a Mono Font, all Chars will be changed.

It would be great when the import function ask from Nr. to Nr. to import, so we can change the font chars but keep all other.

• 2 months later...

A minor release, mostly to support my own projects about smooth scrolling. The new features include:

• Current foreground and background colors are now also marked with F and B in standard color mode
  • In standard color mode empty characters are no longer shown with a question mark when a background color other than transparent is selected
  • Clone tool is more responsive
  • Somewhat clearer indication of foreground and background pixels in bitmap color mode
  • The tool for analyzing character transitions (for use with smooth scrolling) has been expanded with support for checking that color transitions are OK for scrolling
  • Export option for Binary Map (Current). Produces a simple binary file of the current map
  • Export option for 'Assembler Character Transition Data' for use with smooth scrolling. Read more about the format in 'release changes.txt' (included in zip file)

I don't want to hold on to my changes to the code for too long in case some of you want to make you own changes, which is why I release this now. It would be great to place this code under version control in GitHub or similar, but I don't think it would be appropriate without the consent of the original author Howard Kistler/Codex. If you're reading this, please let me know if you think it would be OK to turn the code into an open source project managed by the TI community.

If you have suggestions for new features, please let me know. I enjoy working on this project when I have time, and programming in Java is so easy compared to TMS9900 assembler.

magellan-1.7.5.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My development of Magellan is guided by my own needs, but here are a few new features that might be relevant to a broader user base:

* The most recently used directory is saved between sessions

* The Replace Characters dialog shows the actual character images in the pick lists instead of A,B,C...

* The export dialog shows the actual character images in the pick lists

* Empty character patterns are now exported (Assembler Data) unless the background color is transparent

I may also have fixed a few bugs that I haven't recorded.

Rasmus

magellan-1.8.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest beta version with two major new features:

• Undo/Redo support in the map editor
    Note that this works separately from undo support in the pattern editor, and that the undo history is cleared when you switch to another map.
  • F18A Enhanced Color Mode (ECM) support with a choice between 2 or 3 bits per pixel
    In these modes the color of each pixel can be set independently from a palette of 4 or 8 colors. Each character can be set to use a different palette from a pool of 16 (ECM 2) or 8 (ECM 3) palettes. The colors of the palettes can be changed by double clicking on a color. The only export option that supports ECM modes is 'Assembler Data'. The extra color information is exported as one or two additional bit planes, ready to upload to VDP RAM on an F18A enhanced system.

This is a beta version so I don't expect everything to work perfectly. More work could be put into preserving the colors when switching color mode. I would also like to add a nice ECM example.

magellan-1.9b.zip

• Like 3

Thanks Rasmus! It is much appreciated. Undo/redo support for the maps is something I wanted for a long time.

I will include this new version in the devres sticky thread.

With all the new features in there I think we now have a map editor as good or better as what is available on the colecovision.

Wonder why the colecovision folks are not using Magellan anyway, especially withe the F18A support.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a graphical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe the attached is useful?

Thanks, I really like the idea of the map turning into tiles, but it's very detailed for an icon, and in resolutions below 64x64 it's not recognizable. The splash screen I can use as it is, but do have an idea for a less detailed icon that would work in lower resolutions?

I'm planning to release the next version as a 'native' Windows program with installer and exe file built using install4j. I can also build Mac or Linux versions if there's any interest.

Rasmus, any chance you could support sprite overlays in Magellan?

I for example have a title screen for Tutankham that is made up of tiles and sprites, would be cool if Magellan would support that

(I remember there's a colecovision drawing tool by Daniel Bienvenue that does that)

I would like to add sprite support at some point, but it seems like a lot of work. Do you think sprite overlays could be added without a full featured sprite editor?