IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

It almost looks like it was both - check out the wiki entry:

In August 1989, Chahi was impressed by the flat-color animations that the Amiga version of Dragon's Lair had and thought that it would be possible to use vector outlines to create a similar effect using much less computer storage. After first attempting to write the graphical routines in C, he turned to assembly language. He wrote a polygon routine for the Motorola 68000 on an Atari ST to test his theory, with much success. Later, he found that he could run the code on the Amiga platform and achieve a frame rate of about 20 frames per second, later recognizing this as "a major turning point in the creation of the game" and the point where he knew the polygon approach would work.[10] He was able to take advantage of the Amiga's genlock capabilities to create rotoscoped animations with the polygons, using video recordings of himself performing various actions. Though he had tried to use smaller polygons (which Chahi called "pixigons") to construct the backgrounds for the scenes based on Deluxe Paint artwork, the process of creating them was excruciatingly slow, and he returned to using bitmapped images.[10][11]

Interesting stuff.

is it true that the game runs in higher resolution like 640x420??

As said, by sh3-rg, the resolution of the game is 320x200 in 256 colors.

And actually, the game engine needs four screen buffers in memory.

Remember also that for the deluxe version, the background images are bitmap --not vectorial-- images.

It was tricky to make all these data fit in 4MB (the backgrounds are decompressed on the fly as they are needed).

I have just worked out a 640x400 version of Another World !

Everything seems to work well, except that I have no clue for the moment on how to make fit all the data in a 4MB cartridge (I think I would need about 8MB).

• Like 4

I have just worked out a 640x400 version of Another World !

Everything seems to work well, except that I have no clue for the moment on how to make fit all the data in a 4MB cartridge (I think I would need about 8MB).

Awesome! I presume zerosquare was just joking about the HQ filter though, no? I imagine a filter used on modern PCs for emulation might be too taxing?

I know it's none of my business what buyers do with their homebrew games. Still it gives me gas. For every homebrew 1/3 of the original buyers are f-ing resellers who want to make a quick buck out of someone else's work. They suck. Another third are the shelvers who just want the game as a collector's item and get a stroke when they see sunfading ... you could probably have blank PCBs in their cartridges and they'd never notice. Better than resellers, but still disappointing from a developer's perspective. The last third is the people I really care for, they might enjoy collecting but they also play the games for fun as intended.

• Like 3

The above scenario blows. Naturally.

BUT... the developers of these games really shouldn't be so timid with their releases. Especially in this day and age. I don't buy any concerns of "over" purchasing parts for a second. And for a lot of reasons that are beyond redundant at this point.

Least of which, the fact that they can plainly see and gauge real interest thanks to forums such as this.

Add another 50, 100 or whatever to a production run and whatever does not sell out, you could always pop your own finished product up on ePay and... :rolling:

Awesome! I presume zerosquare was just joking about the HQ filter though, no? I imagine a filter used on modern PCs for emulation might be too taxing?

Well, I thing that hqx2 is probably too much time consuming for the Jaguar. But something simple like scale2x seems reasonable to me: I need to experiment.

Edited by SebRmv

Hi guys, I'm the seller of the bin copy.

Firstly I have sold off 80% of my jaguar game in last six months, I no longer have my jaguar or my cd unit.

I got interested in Japanese saturn stuff and couldn't afford both.

Everybody knows that supply and demand affects the value of any items. I agree with save2600 add an extra 100 copy's to keep the value stable but just like all limited runs of games, not enought to go round and prices rise! There's more battlesphere's than another world out there !