IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Great post! And very true about people taking offence on behalf of people who would have every right to be offended, but would rather just get on with their lives, or just are not that bothered.

Re Fukushima, I fear that only now are the chickens coming home to roost:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-21/us-sailors-assisting-fukushima-clean-crippled-cancer

America should be going nuts over this. I'm being disingenuous. I'm sure America *would* be going nuts over this, if it was being reported. So far it seems to be under the radar. The whole Fukushima thing is being very much played down, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Edited by Willsy

Great post! And very true about people taking offence on behalf of people who would have every right to be offended, but would rather just get on with their lives, or just are not that bothered.

Re Fukushima, I fear that only now are the chickens coming home to roost:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-21/us-sailors-assisting-fukushima-clean-crippled-cancer

America should be going nuts over this. I'm being disingenuous. I'm sure America *would* be going nuts over this, if it was being reported. So far it seems to be under the radar. The whole Fukushima thing is being very much played down, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Yeah, this is something we are only seeing a little bit about in the news. (BTW, Tyler Durden is an excellent writer and well worth following.)

I spoke with a buddy of mine in Japan about the whole thing and he mentioned a large part of the problem is a known collaboration between the utility company and the Japanese government. I ponder on a few points: there is an anti-military sentiment in our media which probably does not care about soldiers getting sick; there is a government-can-do-no-wrong sentiment in the meida, as well, and since the problem at Fukushima is related to government corruption there may be less inclination to report it; there is a mass movement against nuclear power which portrays all nuclear plants as 1960s "Three Mile Island" and "Chernobyl" technology and regulation which largely ignores massive advances in both, the the exposure of deliberately cut corners may not be in best interests.

Not a cover-up, per se, but more of an ignoring on ideological grounds.

What you are doing is exactly what we should be doing: citizen activism. This is the foundation of our system, and without it we are all at the behest of our betters, be they government, corporate, educational, religious, or the media.

(like we never knew that wrestling was fake.) .......

Oklahoma actually means "red people?"........

Anyone in the U.S. get offended by being called a Yankee?.................

Good chance that if you walked into a bar in OK and said "Hey you Yankees.... you do know wrestling is fake don't you....." , You might end up spitting out some of your chicklettes out on the sidewalk. ;-).....

• Like 1

I see some resistors, filter caps, regulators, etc on there, and two ICs. Are these buffer chips or is there some other purpose to them?

The one non-standard item on the card is the Pal. If you want to make your own card, you may be able to get the Pal from Richard Bell.

Here's a pic of the one I built on a proto board.

post-29515-0-10032500-1387759314_thumb.jpg

Gazoo

• Like 1

That's a little pricey for my blood - but it would be cool to have. My Speech box sometimes interferes with proper communication between the PEB and console.

A 100 BUX? Well, uh, gulp. If it's that much... just to move it into the P-Box, with no other extra functions, I guess I'll have to pass. :-o

SOMEONE thought it was worth it. A couple, as I recall. Ridiculous, IMNSHO.

What I want to DUMP ABOUT TODAY...

After Dot Matrix printers 'went away', and fan fold paper with it, so did people making 'home made banners'. Who would have ever thought that 30 years into the future, we can no longer make a simple banner on our personal computers!

Does anyone one even remember which banner program they used on the TI? It's been so long for me, it's all a blur. I know it had all kinds of fancy scripts, and even graphics but that is about it.

I had a need today to make a banner, but the future is not what I thought it would be....

What I want to DUMP ABOUT TODAY...

After Dot Matrix printers 'went away', and fan fold paper with it, so did people making 'home made banners'. Who would have ever thought that 30 years into the future, we can no longer make a simple banner on our personal computers!

Does anyone one even remember which banner program they used on the TI? It's been so long for me, it's all a blur. I know it had all kinds of fancy scripts, and even graphics but that is about it.

I had a need today to make a banner, but the future is not what I thought it would be....

Ah ha! One of the lost treasures and antiquated technology. I never used my TI for such things as I only ever had a tape drive. I did use "Print Shop" on my Commodore 64, just like the Apples at school.

I actually did see recently a banner making program! I cannot recall where it was or what it was, but I seent it, and I thoughts to myself, "Self, that's pretty neat" and continue about my day.

And, no, the future is nothing like what we were promised. WHERE IS MY $#*(&!@ PERSONAL JET PACK AND FLYING CAR?!?!

• Like 1

Since this is a dump topic...

I am tired of "fighting" with the AA forum editor. It puts text into blocks that are difficult to edit. When use the code tag the editor seems to get a kick out of adding blank lines between every line of code. Quoting past threads is more difficult as it seems to rip out earlier threads. I thought I had a fix for the extra lines using a different browser but it's back to old tricks again. Grrrrr

• Like 1

Since this is a dump topic...

I am tired of "fighting" with the AA forum editor. It puts text into blocks that are difficult to edit. When use the code tag the editor seems to get a kick out of adding blank lines between every line of code. Quoting past threads is more difficult as it seems to rip out earlier threads. I thought I had a fix for the extra lines using a different browser but it's back to old tricks again. Grrrrr

Yeah, the AA interface looks nice, but it is buggy at times.

I have a quick question about MSX games. I have been poking around looking for game ideas which I could implement as a novice TI programmer. MSX titles would seem to fit the bill as they have similar hardware like the VDP and a 3.blah MHz Z80, with the only difference being the sound chip. The big problem I have is some MSX titles on YouTube are actually MSX2 (V9938) or MSX2+ (V9958.)

Reading Sega Retro's website it mentioned Road Fighter in particular for using 8-bit (full character/tile) scrolling when the car runs at full speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwUalNEEfOI

Seems doable on the 99/4A. As well, this idea seems like it would translate to something like Spy Hunter. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Like 1

My thoughts are that in order to update the display as fast as that on the TI I think you would need the map uncompressed in CPU RAM as ready as possible to copy to the VDP. This means you would be limited to scrolling around 20 screens before you had to repeat them (unless you used a high capacity cartridge for storage). Are there any examples of similar games on the TI?