IGNORED

Stone Age (CCE)

Rom Hunter

Interesting info!

I'm now convinced that it's the TechnoVision game.

I can only wonder how these Brazilian pirates got their hands on unreleased titles like this one (or Donald Duck's Speedboat).

Now we need a TechnoVision box for Stone Age.

Someone needs to find the original CreatiVision box, and I don't know if it exists. It would be nice at least if someone hacked the ROM to replace the "CCE" logo with "TechnoVision", as it should be.

At least we have some artwork for Locomotive, if it ever turns up...

I did one too, so I might as well post it.

StoneAge(fix).zip

Perhaps they were using a pirate console which had the ports on the front, and reversed? Anyhow I switched the lives display so player 0 uses the left, and player 1 uses the right, which makes sense as the left joystick port is player 0.

I reversed the joysticks, added a black logo, and fixed the scanline count to 262 lines. :)

Perhaps they were using a pirate console which had the ports on the front, and reversed?

That's what I was thinking.

I reversed the joysticks, added a black logo, and fixed the scanline count to 262 lines. :)

How many scanlines was the original? The problem with this latest hack is that the lives counter is chopped off the bottom of the screen (at least on my TV). Wickey's version is better in that regard.

How many scanlines was the original? The problem with this latest hack is that the lives counter is chopped off the bottom of the screen (at least on my TV). Wickey's version is better in that regard.

246 scanlines. The playing screen is very tall. I will take a look after dinner. There are lots of opportunities to gain scanlines back between the score and first row of blocks, for example. If it's still bad the score and logo could be alternated in the same area. Logo at startup, score while playing, alternating score and logo when dead.

I did another quick build. Decreased some of the unimportant parts of the screen. Can you see the lives now PBJ?

Yes, you can. Graphically, that's probably as good as it can be. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the scoring is now totally screwed up for some reason. It looks like you're supposed to get 100 points for squishing a dino and 10 points for smashing a rock, but you now only get 1 point per dino and 0 points per rock. :!:

Okay, the scoring seems to be back to normal.

This game is hard, and just completing the first screen is a challenge. You really need to trap the enemies and then squish them. Otherwise, the last one is moving around so fast you can't possibly get him before he gets you. This game really would've benefitted from smaller, higher resolution graphics and more room to move around. Those big, chunky sprites and choppy animation certainly don't help anything. A pretty poor Pengo clone...not a surprise it wasn't released.

I never try trapping the dinosaurs. I just kick the block at them and squish them immediately. The last dinosaur is the tough one. Try to get in a good position when killing the third dinosaur to be able to kill the last one before he gets you.

User42 translated the instructions for Stone Age here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/83572-items-for-atari-2600-manufactured-in-brazil/page-29?do=findComment&comment=1699033

That sort of makes sense now, it probably was a poor NTSC conversion of the original PAL TechnoVision game.

I believe the colors are all currently PAL. If you tell Stella to use PAL60 colors then the caveman has a pinkish color instead of blue or purple (I'm colorblind). This is just further evidence that it was a PAL game.

Current rom:

StoneAge(ProperNTSC).zip

I've switched around the difficulty switches so that A=Pro, and B=Novice, as it should be. The left difficulty controls P0, and the right controls P1 (also as it should be). Next I converted the colors back to NTSC. The colors now appear as they were designed to be. The caveman is a pinkish skin color, and not a strange blue. I also got rid of an HMOVE bar in the score.

The current source is also included. I am still working on it, but I am running out of time today. I've added a marco which allows easy editing of the stone blocks, dinosaur and caveman starting positions. You can move the levels around to whatever order you like. :)

Level_10:
    stones __________
    stones _XXX____X_
    stones __X_______
    stones __X_______
    stones _______X__
    stones _______X__
    stones _X____XXX_
    stones __________

dino1PosXY   5,8
    dino2PosXY   10,5
    dino3PosXY   1,4
    dino4PosXY   6,1
    cavemanPosXY 7,4

Level_04:
    stones __________
    stones _X_XXXXXX_
    stones _X_X____X_
    stones _X_X__X_X_
    stones _X_XXXX_X_
    stones _X______X_
    stones _XXXXXXXX_
    stones __________

dino1PosXY   5,6
    dino2PosXY   3,3
    dino3PosXY   1,1
    dino4PosXY   10,1
    cavemanPosXY 1,8

In the above code there are a few lines that say "stones". The X's are where the stones get placed. The top line is the top of the screen, and the bottom line the bottom of the screen.

Following that are the starting positions for the caveman and dinosaur. The X column value can be 1-10, left to right. The Y Row value can be 1-8, bottom to top.

The order the levels appear in is here:

LevelConfigTab:
    .word Level_01
    .word Level_02
    .word Level_03
    .word Level_04
    .word Level_05
    .word Level_06
    .word Level_07
    .word Level_08
    .word Level_09
    .word Level_10
    .word Level_11
    .word Level_12
    .word Level_13
    .word Level_14
    .word Level_15
    .word Level_16

To change levels around simply move the order of the table around.