IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

Reading the Maxflash menu turned out to be more complex that expected. (Hmm, was there ever something with less effort than expected...have to think about that).

I decided that I'm going to support only the most recent version of the Maxflash menu software for now since I found there are even more versions of the menu than versions of the programming ATR.

Here's an example using the original Demostration Workbook which is added as single ".car" file in The!Cart Studio and shows up as single entries at runtime now.

In the status bar there is now one more number which is the relative number of the entries in the Maxflash menu (0..127).

I'll provide this as soon as I've managed to actually start the individual entries directly.

This is just to give you an idea what will happen if you select "Multiple Entries" and how it helps to leverage the cool features from Maxflash.

post-17404-0-89972600-1391380441_thumb.pngpost-17404-0-23315600-1391380440_thumb.pngpost-17404-0-03209900-1391380439_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 5

Testing looks OK, but I found that Maxflash Studio seems to corrupt its own export once you add 70 or more entries. Can somebody maybe test & confirm this?

With the 70th entry added, entry 126 gets corrupted. With 126 entries added, everything beyond entry 87 is garbage.

This currently breaks my menu export...

post-17404-0-73598100-1392311525_thumb.png post-17404-0-30532700-1392311654_thumb.png

Sample workbook. Maybe somebody has and old version of the Maxflash Studio to test if this is a regression.

AtariMax.mcw.zip

Edited by JAC!

So I decided to add a check and release the curent version to the public. Download as usual on the web site.

The!Cart Studio Version 2013-02-13 released

• Search speed improved from 25s to 9s for a full search in 16.000 entries with short names. When the search is finished, the elapsed time in frames is displayed.
  • Scroll speed and acceleration adapted.
  • Cursor keys now control the scrolling also without pressing pressed "CONTROL". This also means these characters are no longer available for typing in, which should not be a problem.
  • Clearing of result lines when restricting the result now works properly.
  • For Atarimax 128K/1 MB modules created with the recent Atarimax Maxflash Studio, the display type "Multiple Entries" is now supported. The entries of the Atarimax menu will also appear in the extended menu search. Selecting such an entry starts the Atarimax menu it comes from. Direct start support will be added later. Due to a potential bug in the Maxflash Studio, only the first 70 entries of the Atarimax menu are accepted to be on the safe side.
  • New flash target types "The!Cart 32 MB" and "The!Cart 64 MB" added in the workbook options, because these sizes are requested and actually shipped now.
  • New cartridge types "65 - The!Cart 32 MB" and "66 - The!Cart 64 MB" added as they are because these sizes are requested and actually shipped now and also supported by Atari800.
  • Definition of initial banks fixed. Now all cartridge types use initial bank 0 (again) except for CARTRIDGE_OSS_034M_16 (bank 1), CARTRIDGE_ATMAX_1024 (bank 127) and CARTRIDGE_MEGA_4096 (bank 254).
  • New Atari software version 2014-02-09 included. This fixes the problem that SDX64, Express and Diamond cartridges were not started correctly due to a wrong initial bank register (was 7, must be 0). It also adds a new option to the flasher when starting the cartridge. You can now choose to enter the default (extended menu) or if you want to explicitly enter the simple (expert) menu directly. When entering the simple menu this way, the auto-start feature is disabled, so you don't start with the wrong bank after flashing new content.
  • Command line option to generate sample cartridge files now generates correct files also for "Megacart 2MB" and all Atari 5200 cartridge types.

post-17404-0-32853900-1392313092_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 5

Incremental flash can be used in all regular cases. The non-incremental/full flash feature is only there for the case that everything went "terribly wrong". Maybe hias can add/highlight the defaults for the questions in the Flasher. Something like "Inverse Y", so you can simply go by pressing return 3 times (D1:, yes, yes). I think people hardly "incidentially" flash their cart :-).

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2

Just export your existing workbook again from the new The!CartStudio, enter the expert/simple menu on the Atari via "ESC", select Flasher and flash as usual. In incremental mode, only the delta will be flashed (new menu code, new entries' texts, ROMs themselves remain unchanged).

Edited by JAC!

Wondering: do other people have this issue too since the latest update?

I have reflashed my card, since the incremental update resulted in some garbage in the statusbar on the bottom of the screen.

It works better now, although sometimes my atari only starts with a black screen. Only switching off, and back on cures this.

Am I the only one or is this a bug?

For the rest it is working really cool!

One comment: I find the fast scroll speed when you hold the joystick in down position not so convenient. I think a normal scroll speed within the page you are is better, and a fast page movement with left/right will do the trick (just like the megacart menu).

>It works better now, although sometimes my atari only starts with a black screen. Only switching off, and back on cures this.

I found the same when I was working with it yesterday and I can reproduce the issue by pressing the reset button on the cart and then RESET on the Atari while the menu is displayed. I could not yet track it down. Strangely the menu actually works, you just don't see it somehow. When I simply enter & leave the freezer, appears (thought the freezer does not change anything in the Atari by nature). So I'm behind that.
As for the control scheme, I'll first implement the tabs/pages for the genres and see how it feels. Currently left/right is planned for that, let's see.
  • Like 1

>It works better now, although sometimes my atari only starts with a black screen. Only switching off, and back on cures this.

I found the same when I was working with it yesterday and I can reproduce the issue by pressing the reset button on the cart and then RESET on the Atari while the menu is displayed. I could not yet track it down. Strangely the menu actually works, you just don't see it somehow. When I simply enter & leave the freezer, appears (thought the freezer does not change anything in the Atari by nature). So I'm behind that.
As for the control scheme, I'll first implement the tabs/pages for the genres and see how it feels. Currently left/right is planned for that, let's see.

Thanks sounds great! It's getting better and better. Very happy with it.

Found two other strange things:

1) After some games the reset button of the cart appears not to work the first or the second time. I sometimes have to do reset + resetcart three or four times before it actually resets.

2) Asteroids (attachment) does not start after the menu-selection. It starts after pressing reset though.

The!Cart Studio Version 2014-02-16 released (thanks FJC :-)

• Display type "Multiple Entries" is now also supported for the content types "MegaCart 512 K" and "MegaCart 2 MB" and for two older versions of the Atarimax Maxflash Studio menu. So you can see and search the entries from the contained menu directly in the extended menu.
  • Entries are now automatically sorted by title when you save a workbook, so the are sorted by default when you open the workbook the next time. Clicking on the column header of course changes the display sorting just like before.
  • The recurring lockup with a black screen that was introduced in the last version should be solved now. After 28 years of Atari programming I found out that display list interrupts are triggered, even if the display list DMA and the screen is switched off. This again caused the VBI to not update the shadow registers to switch the DMA on because it assumed that is the VBI interrupts an interrupt, then this is probably the serial I/O. But this time it wasn't. Fortunately I have my Turbofreezer and so I could find what is different on the real machine - because the issue never occurs in the emulator. Phew.

As for Asteroids, I'll have a separate look.

post-17404-0-91721200-1392511271_thumb.pngpost-17404-0-22356400-1392511276_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 1

Now I suddenly get an error when I try to open the project I saved with the previous version.

I got this error:

Can not create parser for file.... <path> Error in Line 67, column 153.

I tried to recover from older versions of my workbook (I have a restore function in my dropbox) , but it keeps failing. Also with the older versions ...

What can be the cause of that?

And again.

I put all my files in a NEW workbook. I rename some of the titles (to make more sense) and then I save the project. I reload it, and ERROR.

Can this be caused by unallowed characters in the filenames of the roms?

AH FOUND IT!

That is strange...

I have the file Qbert.rom in my list. the file is called Qbert.rom. No problem!

The title is Q*Bert ... still no problem!

But... for some unknown reason in the .tcd file the file is called Qbert.rom

This might have something to do with the library of known games? Or perhaps that the original imported file was named different, and that the program renames the file itself, but it does not update the tcd file.

Anyway... when I edited the .TCD file it works again.

Edited by ProWizard

@JAC

Ok the listing of multiple entries works great. Only downside is (for me) that you see the entries, but when you select them you have to select them again in the ROM that title is part of.

I decided to switch it off, so I see only 'single entries' on my main screen... now it would be cool if the Search function would still search in the multiple entries.

Is that possible?

I guess it is impossible to select a game that is part of an atarimax or megacart collection, and to start that game at once...

>I guess it is impossible to select a game that is part of an atarimax or megacart collection, and to start that game at once...

In fact that's what I had planned from the very start of the project (and what is also already implemented, but not yet finished).

I always wanted to keep my efforts for the some tricky things (ATR emulation, EXE loaders) low and re-use what's already there and proven.

For the direct start, I have to completely analyse and understand the code the inidividual menu works.

It turned out that the diffculty is the sheer number of menu/software versions.

I've completed the analysis for the most recent Maxflash Software so far.

So, not impossible, but "only" lots of effort (as always in software business) :-)

• Like 1