IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I got it just as someone was spinning out on the road. Crazy. We used to have chains for our tires as I do not recall if nubbed tires were made for our car or not. If they were, I am pretty certain my dad's poor Air Force ass could not have afforded them.

post-27864-0-17961000-1391913401_thumb.jpg

I recently purchased an Amiga 1000, and while still waiting for the RGB cable to be delivered, I started playing with the Amiga Forever emulator to familiarize myself with the machine. I have to say this was one hell of a system for the day... I plan on adding an HxD drive to it for easy disk image transfers between it and the PC. I would love to have Amiga Pascal running on it, but I have yet to locate a copy :( Any Amiga users here?

• Like 3

I recently purchased an Amiga 1000, and while still waiting for the RGB cable to be delivered, I started playing with the Amiga Forever emulator to familiarize myself with the machine. I have to say this was one hell of a system for the day... I plan on adding an HxD drive to it for easy disk image transfers between it and the PC. I would love to have Amiga Pascal running on it, but I have yet to locate a copy :( Any Amiga users here?

Oi!

Cool! I know it's probably heresy, but the TI really shows its age and limitations here when compared to the Amiga, but then I suppose this is the case for all pre-Amiga 8-bitters anyway :)

Sometimes I get tired of battling with the TI's confines, and the Amiga will provide me with a little R&R with its relatively plush interface and ease of use. OK, let the stoning begin.

• Like 1

Cool! I know it's probably heresy, but the TI really shows its age and limitations here when compared to the Amiga, but then I suppose this is the case for all pre-Amiga 8-bitters anyway :)

Sometimes I get tired of battling with the TI's confines, and the Amiga will provide me with a little R&R with its relatively plush interface and ease of use. OK, let the stoning begin.

No stoning from me. Different strokes for different folks. We all come to this 'classic computer hobby' with different wants, intentions, likes, dislikes, and even preconceived notions. Sometimes I wonder, if you had 10 of us in a room would you have 11 opinions? It's all good. It's all meant to be fun and enjoyable, so why not have a little R&R away from the old girl, because it ceases to be fun if it's all-consuming. Besides, this rock I have in my hand is kind of pretty and....

I have a 500,1000,1200,2000 and 3000 :) had a 1000 in 86 .. have the 1200 with 128mb ram/68030 and replaced the hard disk with a cf.. lots of amiga options for the 1000 including a vga 'flicker fixer' here: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/images/indivision-ecs.gif I personally went with a amiga->scart cable and then used a device off ebay to convert scart to hdmi.

been doing amiga forever, it was my computer of choice after the TI .. I worked at computerland when I was a teenager and the amiga 1000 and mac 128 came out, and i had to have the amiga :)

Greg

1078855_10153026340950144_2054211282_o.j

Edited by arcadeshopper

Very cool! It would be great if I could upgrade the RAM on my 1000 to 1 or 2 megs. I have a 256k sidecar expansion, but that only gives me a total of 500k which is not sufficient for some of the games and Blitz Basic 2. BTW, amigakit has precious little for the 1000 unfortunately, and from what I have been reading there are not great expansion options available specifically for the 1000...

Very cool! It would be great if I could upgrade the RAM on my 1000 to 1 or 2 megs. I have a 256k sidecar expansion, but that only gives me a total of 500k which is not sufficient for some of the games and Blitz Basic 2. BTW, amigakit has precious little for the 1000 unfortunately, and from what I have been reading there are not great expansion options available specifically for the 1000...

Unfortunately the 1000 has only a few options for expansion. Most of which are adding a "box' to the right side buss connector that has zorro slots. Then you can add ram or other cards. I owned one at one time with a commodore scsi controller for my first 1000 and ended up selling it all at one point because it didn't work :) Now you can stick an IDE on the motherboard so who needs that. I believe the 1k has the same pinout as the 500 just upsidedown so perhaps a 500 addon would work like the new ACA500? (now I want to buy one and try it!)

http://aminet.net/docs/hard/a1000hacks.lha has a bunch of hax

http://aminet.net/docs/hard/2000slot.lha is how to make it a zorro slot

Also: http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

I just ordered one of these to try this hack on my Amiga ;)

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 2

Try these FTP sites Vorticon :-

host: grandis.nu

port: 21

user: ftp

pass: any password will do

ancient.blackunix.net

port: 21

user: ftp

pass: ftp

The 1000 is neat for nostalgia, but really if you want a machine to upgrade you want to get any of the other models. The 500 has some new options for CPU upgrades thanks to Individual Computers (check out http://amigakit.com,) the 1200 is an AGA model and arguably one of the most expandable clam-shell models. I have a 4000 with a 50MHz 68060, 144MB RAM, SVGA video at 1152xsomething, 18GB SCSI hard drive, and USB 2.0. My 2000 has a 50MHz 68060 with 128MB and a 24-bit video card, and my 1200 has a 50MHz 68060 with 192MB RAM, 4GB DOM, and SCSI for CD-ROM or whatever. (I have a couple of non-working PPC accelerators for the 4000 which I am working on getting repaired.)

That said, if you can find a StarBoard you can get the 2MB you want for your 1000. I just got rid of mine a couple of years ago. The side car expansions for the 500 will also work with the 1000 if turned around to face the back. I ran a GVP A530 40MHz 68030 with SCSI on my 1000 for a while.

• Like 1

The 1000 is neat for nostalgia, but really if you want a machine to upgrade you want to get any of the other models. The 500 has some new options for CPU upgrades thanks to Individual Computers (check out http://amigakit.com,) the 1200 is an AGA model and arguably one of the most expandable clam-shell models. I have a 4000 with a 50MHz 68060, 144MB RAM, SVGA video at 1152xsomething, 18GB SCSI hard drive, and USB 2.0. My 2000 has a 50MHz 68060 with 128MB and a 24-bit video card, and my 1200 has a 50MHz 68060 with 192MB RAM, 4GB DOM, and SCSI for CD-ROM or whatever. (I have a couple of non-working PPC accelerators for the 4000 which I am working on getting repaired.)

That said, if you can find a StarBoard you can get the 2MB you want for your 1000. I just got rid of mine a couple of years ago. The side car expansions for the 500 will also work with the 1000 if turned around to face the back. I ran a GVP A530 40MHz 68030 with SCSI on my 1000 for a while.

Damn ok you win :) I have an 040 in the 2k..and 030's in the 1200 and 3k on amibay that's like 10 grand of amigas right there.. So now I really want to buy an ACA500 and try it on my 1k..

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Well, it looks like there is a problem with my Amiga :( The fan turns on, the front LED turns on steadily, but that's it. There is no post, no beeps, no drive activity whatsoever... I reseated all the socketed chips without results, so I suspect the power supply is bad. A used supply is $79 on Ebay, which is a total ripoff, but I may not have a choice unless I just bite the bullet and go for a 1200 on Ebay. Old CS1, you wouldn't be interested in selling your 1200 by any chance ;)

EDIT: I found a used A1000 PS for $29 at the Bargain Computer Store. We'll see if that fixes my issues.

Edited by Vorticon

I went to the Amiga 2000 after my TI, worked up to a 68030 accelerator board in it, but, I never did very much with it. (I started a fighting game - video is on my YouTube, but it didn't get far ;) ). Loved the machine though!

Well, it looks like there is a problem with my Amiga :( The fan turns on, the front LED turns on steadily, but that's it. There is no post, no beeps, no drive activity whatsoever... I reseated all the socketed chips without results, so I suspect the power supply is bad. A used supply is $79 on Ebay, which is a total ripoff, but I may not have a choice unless I just bite the bullet and go for a 1200 on Ebay. Old CS1, you wouldn't be interested in selling your 1200 by any chance ;)

EDIT: I found a used A1000 PS for $29 at the Bargain Computer Store. We'll see if that fixes my issues.

Not interested in selling my 1200, BUT I may have enough parts for another 1200 system in storage. I think your best bet is a well cared-for system from eBay or Amibay. You can get NOS from Amigakit or Vesalia. IIRC, that can also be caused by a bad daughtercard which is required to store Kickstart loaded from floppy. Also, try removing the front RAM expansion. I hope it is something simple like a power supply. I am assuming you have had a look under the hood?

Not interested in selling my 1200, BUT I may have enough parts for another 1200 system in storage. I think your best bet is a well cared-for system from eBay or Amibay. You can get NOS from Amigakit or Vesalia. IIRC, that can also be caused by a bad daughtercard which is required to store Kickstart loaded from floppy. Also, try removing the front RAM expansion. I hope it is something simple like a power supply. I am assuming you have had a look under the hood?

Bad caps could also be the issue. . They tend to go bad over time

Greg