IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600 - Playable Demo!

Byte Knight

Bug fixes for the demo:

Ramp Level

• Mario shouldn't get stuck in girders any more.

• Overlapping barrels shouldn't sneak through the hammer any more.

• Increased barrel spawn timer to make the level a little easier.

• Moved hammer up and right on top level so you can't grab it from the level below and you can jump straight up and get it.

• Fixed Mario jumping bug that would kill Mario after 5 jumps in a row.

Cement Pie Level

• Kong has less separation anxiety!

• Fixed ghosting of the tops of fireballs.

Elevator Level

• Mario won't "fall" through girders on Elevator Level.

DK23Arcade2600.bin

• Like 1

Ok, was finally able to throw this on the Harmony and give it a spin (latest build). Holy s#¡^! Nice job!! This is like an 8-bit dream come true. Keep up the fantastic work.

Couple of observations:

- Collisions with pie/cement seem a tad unfair

- Any chance that you could speed up Mario just a little bit? Minor, but he felt just a little slow going up the ladders.

I absolutely loved the challenge. It felt like it starts at about the 2nd or 3rd round of the arcade game. Again, great job on this. I can't stop playing. Fantastic!

• Like 2

WOW, Great job! I'm impressed you did this all in basic yet have all the important stuff in. About the only glitching I'm seeing using Stella 3.9.3 is with Kong disappearing now and then.

Only gripes: I also think its hard on the first level, and the collision detection of Mario with barrels, pies, fireballs etc is still too sensitive. When you get around to adding options, I'd like to have a choice between the American and Japanese order of levels.

Edited by WildBillTX

WOW, Great job! I'm impressed you did this all in basic yet have all the important stuff in. About the only glitching I'm seeing using Stella 3.9.3 is Kong disappearing now and then.

Only gripes: I also think its hard on the first level, and the collision detection of Mario with barrels, pies, fireballs etc is still too sensitive. When you get around to adding options, I'd like to have a choice between the American and Japanese order of levels.

Try this latest one: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222281-dk-arcade-2600-playable-demo/?p=2939127

The barrels appear a bit less frequently, collision with just the center of the player is back on.

I'm also asking for a bit more forgiving collision detection on levels other than one.

The American/Japanese order option is done, just not in this demo. :D

OK one more minor bug. Jump "score" sound is not always played when jumping over cement pies.

Unfortunately there's no quick and easy way to check for copies of the cement pie sprite under Mario while he's jumping... Jumping over the leftmost pie will usually register.

Unfortunately there's no quick and easy way to check for copies of the cement pie sprite under Mario while he's jumping... Jumping over the leftmost pie will usually register.

Yeah I kinda figured it was a sprite copy issue but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Also, it's a 'no' for being able to climb broken ladders?

Yeah I kinda figured it was a sprite copy issue but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Also, it's a 'no' for being able to climb broken ladders?

The broken ladders aren't tall enough to let barrels run underneath you. And the way climbing is set up, Mario would stand on top of the broken ladder, and jumping would cause him to fall off and die... So if you've got multiple close-grouped barrels coming at you, the new strategy is to backtrack and hope some of them go down ladders before they get to you.