IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

You have more computing power in your smartphone than NASA had

on the ground during the Apollo moon landing. Scary huh?

36091-ibm.jpg

Its been rumored that an original game boy had more computer power

If the information I read is correct (and some of it differs), the Apollo Guidance Computer was a bit convoluted and it wasn't blindingly fast (2Mhz clock with an effective time of 1MHz due to the design) but it was 16 bit and it supported floating point math from the look of the source code.

That's a bit of a simplification but I think you'll agree based on that alone that NASA had more computing power on the ground than the Gameboy.

The smart phone is another matter.

not even close to a 1040ST

I liked the Amiga 500 later, but the 1040ST was the leader of this form factor in the 16-bit generation, and STILL IS the sexiest beast of that form. The Feb 1986 Byte magazine had a great cover, but was missing the centerfold!

post-16281-0-89671400-1394084476_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There was another TRS-80 clone similar to this one, but for the life of me, and a protracted "senior moment",

I cannot remember it's name.

hardware_pictures_system%2080%20Mk1%20v2

Does anyone else remember it?

The VideoGenie? As far as I know the Dick Smith and the VG were one in the same, just rebranded.

There was another TRS-80 clone similar to this one, but for the life of me, and a protracted "senior moment",

I cannot remember it's name.

hardware_pictures_system%2080%20Mk1%20v2

Does anyone else remember it?

Yes-It's the Video Genie, it came in two variations, the one in your picture and another one that had a numeric keypad instead of a data recorder, the colour scheme was carried forward to the Colour Genie.

I still actually own the same model that is in the picture and a Colour Genie.

I made an attempt to summarize all the computers mentioned and pictured in this thread. I may has mislabeled some:

Acorn Atom, Electron, Archimedes A3010

Acorn BBC Micro, Master, Master Compact

Amiga 500, 1000

Amstrad CPC464, CPC664

Apple ][gs

Atari 400, 800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 1450XLD, 130XE

Atari 520ST, 1040ST, Mega STe, TT

Camputers Lynx

Coleco ADAM

Commodore PET, PET 200 (8032-SK), Plus/4, SX-64

Dick Smith System 80

Dragon 64

EACA EG3008 Genie II, Colour Genie

Grundy NewBrain

HAL 9000

Jupiter Ace

Link 480Z

Mattel Aquarius II

Memotech MTX-500

Morrow Pivot II

Nascom 3

Oric Atmos

PDP-1

SAM Coupé

Spectravideo SVI-318, SVI-328

Sega SC-3000H

Semitech Pied Piper

Sharp X68000

Sord M5

TI-99/4A silver

TRS-80 Model III/IV, CoCo 3

TX-0

Tatung Einstein, Einstein 256

TeleVideo TS-803

Thomson MO5

Timex Sinclair 1000

ZX-81, ZX Spectrum 48K, 128K, +2, +3, Sinclair QL

Rather interesting that nobody brought up the ZX-80 as many people find it much more asthetically interesting than the later Sinclair computers. Also it is rather clear that both the breadbox models VIC-20 and C64 as well as the redesigned C64C (and C128) don't pop up as "sexy" computer designs. Also just about no IBM PC or clone, also no Macintoshes on the list, nor any MSX computers apart from the Spectravideos that aren't MSX compatible anyway. Of course there are lot more unique models to list, but I don't see any point listing more models than the ones you like the best.

• Like 2

I made an attempt to summarize all the computers mentioned and pictured in this thread. I may has mislabeled some:
Acorn Atom, Electron, Archimedes A3010
Acorn BBC Micro, Master, Master Compact
Amiga 500, 1000
Amstrad CPC464, CPC664
Apple ][gs
Atari 400, 800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 1450XLD, 130XE
Atari 520ST, 1040ST, Mega STe, TT
Camputers Lynx
Coleco ADAM
Commodore PET, PET 200 (8032-SK), Plus/4, SX-64
Dick Smith System 80
Dragon 64
EACA EG3008 Genie II, Colour Genie
Grundy NewBrain
HAL 9000
Jupiter Ace
Link 480Z
Mattel Aquarius II
Memotech MTX-500
Morrow Pivot II
Nascom 3
Oric Atmos
PDP-1
SAM Coupé
Spectravideo SVI-318, SVI-328
Sega SC-3000H
Semitech Pied Piper
Sharp X68000
Sord M5
TI-99/4A silver
TRS-80 Model III/IV, CoCo 3
TX-0
Tatung Einstein, Einstein 256
TeleVideo TS-803
Thomson MO5
Timex Sinclair 1000
ZX-81, ZX Spectrum 48K, 128K, +2, +3, Sinclair QL
Rather interesting that nobody brought up the ZX-80 as many people find it much more asthetically interesting than the later Sinclair computers. Also it is rather clear that both the breadbox models VIC-20 and C64 as well as the redesigned C64C (and C128) don't pop up as "sexy" computer designs. Also just about no IBM PC or clone, also no Macintoshes on the list, nor any MSX computers apart from the Spectravideos that aren't MSX compatible anyway. Of course there are lot more unique models to list, but I don't see any point listing more models than the ones you like the best.

Valid point about the ZX80, I never bothered too much about the Commodore machines as I assumed everyone was sick to death of pictures of the C64 etc, I thought I had stuck up a picture of an MSX-I must have forgotten,(I was looking at the Sony HitBit). I just prefer going for some of the more obscure stuff.

For those of you who like your computers black and professional looking, how would you rate these two?

Franklin Ace 500, Apple ][ compatible: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=793

Sinclair PC-200, 8086 class: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=85

Both look great.

The Ace 500 looks like its ready to kick some ass! That's a mean looking machine ;-)

Also it is rather clear that both the breadbox models VIC-20 and C64 as well as the redesigned C64C (and C128) don't pop up as "sexy" computer designs. Also just about no IBM PC or clone, also no Macintoshes on the list, nor any MSX computers apart from the Spectravideos that aren't MSX compatible anyway. Of course there are lot more unique models to list, but I don't see any point listing more models than the ones you like the best.

Actually, I really do like the look of the C128 and C64C. I also really dig the look of the Atari 400, 1040ST, and the TT030.

Damn! There sure are a lot of dead sexy computers out there.

I thought the Franklin Ace 1200 looked pretty nice. The 1000 looked a little plain but the built in drive module really helped it's looks.
I'd never give it top marks for sexy but it's not bad.

Franklin_ACE1200_System_2.jpg

I posted a link to the previous "best looking computers" topic. There should be plenty in there to draw from.

• Like 1