IGNORED

The UK and the Texas TI99 in the 80s

Retrospect

Right ... I've made some alterations to Dodger.

The responsiveness is a bit better ....

It's Joystick control only now .... much better actually using that rather than ti arrow keys

There's new sounds ....

Dodger cannot get totally hidden in the grass by the houses ... his head disappears but his arse pokes out so i figure thats fine. It's long grass.

Try it - see what you think.

DODGER2.zip <---- beat my high score .... I got 1361 this time.

• Like 3

Excellent. Much better. In your face, bang bang, frantic, sound, graphics, changes, on you go. :thumbsup:

Yeah it's just about pleasurable to play now. I think if anything were to be altered again, I might some day make it so the traffic/monsters are random or different per level .... but i think it's good enough for now .

Thanks for playing

It's looking pretty good, the refinements work well. It compares favourably with any tape release of similar games which I have seen.

Thank the maker for the gift of the blessed compiler!

Oh that compiler was a blessing , truly it was. Not only did it make games go faster, sprite coincidences actually work, sound is uprated , but also it made it so nobody can see my awful code!

Tape releases were only slow because the best a tape could have back then was Extended Basic ... and even when coded very well, sprites can only move so fast before coincidences become flaky. that said , I do remember having Dodger on tape way back then and it never missed a beat, 'cos I died a LOT on that game ... haha ....

• Like 1

Stephen Shaw was the authority over here, he used to pop up in a few mags on a semi regular basis.

He still has a website with quite a lot of TI related features.

http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/stainless1.htm

There is a fairly comprehensive list of everything that Stainless Software dealt with(including screenhots).

Aye I know , I downloaded them all the other night :D

He were a bit of a saviour really with him not only having in house games produced but also shipping USA software over here for us. Top bloke.

• Like 1

If anyone has played Greedy Green Grabbers, you will know it's a good little game, but by God is it slow.

So .... I've decided to compile it. Now it has better speed, new sound effects which are nothing special, just slightly less irritating than before, and the keys are Z,X for left & right, and P and L for up and down.

When you've been killed, it asks to play again, "play again" flashes then disappears. Just press Y or N at this point, I'm not compiling it all over again just to correct this small issue.

GRABBER.zip <---- download here.

• Like 3

Stephen Shaw was the authority over here, he used to pop up in a few mags on a semi regular basis.

He still has a website with quite a lot of TI related features.

http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/stainless1.htm

There is a fairly comprehensive list of everything that Stainless Software dealt with(including screenhots).

Great source of material for the Gameshelf site. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Grabber

Nice.

Compared with running the original in CPU Overdrive. - And you win.

Personally I'm not looking for a series/truckloads of "old" games compiled to be slightly more playable - also compared to what CPU Overdrive can do (with the flick of a switch). While I strive to be true to the bare-bone (part of my retro thing), there will always be a 2014 perspective and some thrown in. I guess a great and inspirational effort like the Computer & Video Games magazine type-in games thread easily becomes "touch and throwaway" !? A good, clean addiction/attention to one game ala one game one thread, ping pong, skitting, exchange of ideas and opinions, is perhaps more like it ? - Well.

:|

Edited by sometimes99er

Nice.

Compared with running the original in CPU Overdrive. - And you win.

Personally I'm not looking for a series/truckloads of "old" games compiled to be slightly more playable - also compared to what CPU Overdrive can do (with the flick of a switch). While I strive to be true to the bare-bone (part of my retro thing), there will always be a 2014 perspective and some thrown in. I guess a great and inspirational effort like the Computer & Video Games magazine type-in games thread easily becomes "touch and throwaway" !? A good, clean addiction/attention to one game ala one game one thread, ping pong, skitting, exchange of ideas and opinions, is perhaps more like it ? - Well.

oh ... you found my old thread on type-ins ! thankyou :)

General question for anyone who would be able to help me : I'm thinking of putting music into Dodger that runs along while the game is playing ... any ideas on how to set this up in XB?

just to let you hear it here is one of my pieces of music I will be including , I coped the Exidy game "Mousetrap"

MUSIC.zip

It's compiled so I knew how it would sound, and it's pretty tight.

General question for anyone who would be able to help me : I'm thinking of putting music into Dodger that runs along while the game is playing ... any ideas on how to set this up in XB?

just to let you hear it here is one of my pieces of music I will be including , I coped the Exidy game "Mousetrap"

attachicon.gifMUSIC.zip

This is something I was wondering about with regards to sound, lets say you plug in your XB cartridge and enter the following with the intention of compiling it as part of a program-CALL SOUND(3000,250,0)

If the compiler speeds up program execution-does the duration value of the sound command have to be altered to take into account the speed of the compiled program line or do the duration values stay constant regardless?

This is something I was wondering about with regards to sound, lets say you plug in your XB cartridge and enter the following with the intention of compiling it as part of a program-CALL SOUND(3000,250,0)

If the compiler speeds up program execution-does the duration value of the sound command have to be altered to take into account the speed of the compiled program line or do the duration values stay constant regardless?

As far as I experienced it will do as documented - even when running after being compiled with one of Harry's compilers. From User's Reference Guide:

In a program, the computer continues performing program statements while a sound is being played. When you call the SOUND subprogram, the computer will wait until the previous sound has been completed before performing the new CALL SOUND statement unless a negative duration is specified. If you specify a negative duration in the new CALL SOUND statement, the previous sound is stopped and the new one is begun immediately.

:)

• Like 3

I did something like this with Shooting Stars. Not sure it work well with music (apparently okay with sound effects) as real iron and/or emulators might have the tones sound a bit erratic (with frequencies constantly being refreshed/booted).

100 REM TITLE SCREEN ETC.
200 REM LEVEL SETUP
300 REM GAME LOOP
310 CALL GETMUSIC
320 CALL SOUND(1,F1,V1,F2,V2,F3,V3)
330 CALL GAMESTUFF
340 IF LIVES>0 THEN 300
400 REM SONOFABITCH
410 CALL ARGHH
420 GOTO 200

The duration of 1 in the sound statement will have your game refresh with the frame update, that being each frame or more. If your game logic and updates takes less than one frame then call sound will be called (and control) every frame (excellent for manual sprite control). Obviously you have to have some control counter for duration in your music data fetching routine.

just to let you hear it here is one of my pieces of music I will be including, I coped the Exidy game "Mousetrap"

Sounds good.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think sound duration is not affected itself however if a single sound like that was playing , it would play the sound and move on to do other things whilst the sound is still playing. If you use this for example;

100 CALL SOUND(250,110,0)

110 CALL SOUND(100.110.30) <-- silent sound to create a slight pause between notes

120 CALL SOUND(250,117,0)

130 CALL SOUND(100,110,30)

140 CALL SOUND(250,123,0)

The compiler will still acknowledge the pause because it still has to use the initial duration in the call sound statements. ( I think )

• Like 1

Oh wait ... I've found something within XB256 documentation regarding sound players etc ... think this might be what im looking for ....

Just something to have that continous loop playing while the main game is in play, then switch to another sound sequence for the intermission screen between levels ... keep the sound going

Oh wait ... I've found something within XB256 documentation regarding sound players etc ... think this might be what im looking for ....

Just something to have that continous loop playing while the main game is in play, then switch to another sound sequence for the intermission screen between levels ... keep the sound going

Very well, but XB256 has not AFAIR been integrated with the compiler !?

Very well, but XB256 has not AFAIR been integrated with the compiler !?

True. I'm just experimenting with one thing and another, and to put XB256 to some use would be good, as I've already got a long-term project going for The Missing Link too, with my graphical text adventure.

• 1 year later...

has anyone got a zip or what ever of the Funpac or funpac2 cassette for the ti

Nuclear disaster , Gunfighter , Star ship sunpanova

id love to try these games again.

I used to get stuck in the adventure game - if your beam is bright you will destroy the robot ...

mike :-)