IGNORED

600/800XL Keyboard variants

Beetle

I believe that even resistors and capacitors are also socketed on this thing! :)

Right ...

Are the sockets in sockets?

no, but the RF Modulator is probly socketed too!

;')

sloopy.

• 4 months later...

I took pictures of the "Type 1" and "Type 4" switches and I thought it would be a good idea to add them to this thread.

Here is the switch in the 800XL "Type 1" keyboard:

atarialps.jpg

As you can see, it is the exact same ALPS switch used in the TRS-80 Model 100 portable:

trsalps.jpg

The switch has a nice, light, linear feel. Even thought this is an early version of the ALPS key-switch, keycaps are interchangeable with later ALPS keyboards, like the Apple Extended:

fits1.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the switch in the 800XL "Type 4" keyboard:

800xl2.jpg

Although I didn't remove the white cap, I suspect that under it is a similar switch to the DEC VT-100 (and Lear Siegler termnials) and one version of the TI-99/4a:

ti2g.jpg

Keys from the "Type 4" are interchangeable with the VT-100 and TI-99/4a (that one version - there's also an ALPS TI-99/4a) - although they have height differences which make it not really work.

Compared to the "Type 1" ALPS keyboard, the "Type 4" has a stiffer feel with more friction.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500
  • Like 2

Here is the switch in the 800XL "Type 4" keyboard:

800xl2.jpg

Although I didn't remove the white cap, I suspect that under it is a similar switch to the DEC VT-100 (and Lear Siegler termnials) and one version of the TI-99/4a:

ti2g.jpg

Keys from the "Type 4" are interchangeable with the VT-100 and TI-99/4a (that one version - there's also an ALPS TI-99/4a) - although they have height differences which make it not really work.

Compared to the "Type 1" ALPS keyboard, the "Type 4" has a stiffer feel with more friction.

There are two springs under the white cap, not a switch.

I can probably do it when I get home since I've got some disassembled keyboards somewhere. I'll describe it, though: That middle circle in the plunger holds the top of a long, stiff, thin spring- sort of like the one in a retractable pen. It exits through a small hole in the bottom of the black plastic assembly and mashes down the contact sheet when the key is pressed. Around that thin spring is a wider and weaker spring that provides the normal key resistance.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have 6 alps plungers that they want to sell?

I have a 600 that someone must have spilled something on in the past. The metal casings are really corroded and the keys get stuck down. Have tried wire wool and wd40, and I think I have made things worse.

Also looking for one AWC plunger

• 2 weeks later...

The keyboard's got a nice feel; quite short travel and much quieter than a type 1. However, it's going back to the lucky owner this week. :)

Can you ask them if they would be willing to part with the keyboard and the 600XL it came on, and ask them to PM me?

Also...

Does anyone have a working Type 1 ot 2 keyboard they are willing to sell?

Here's my first 800XL, bought about January 1984. It is like type 2, made by AWC, Hong Kong, but it has a different number, 70166205-02, REV. 02.

The unique thing about it is the key contacts are mechanical copper, you can see in the picture with the key cap removed. No mylar. I'm not

sure if Beetle's type 2 has these type contacts, I would guess yes. I think these are the most reliable, long lasting keyboards.

post-21816-0-06620900-1355839133_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-92909300-1355839151_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-28716000-1355839165_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-39872500-1355839178_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-58441800-1355839192_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here's my first 800XL, bought about January 1984. It is like type 2, made by AWC, Hong Kong, but it has a different number, 70166205-02, REV. 02.

The unique thing about it is the key contacts are mechanical copper, you can see in the picture with the key cap removed. No mylar. I'm not

sure if Beetle's type 2 has these type contacts, I would guess yes. I think these are the most reliable, long lasting keyboards.

Uhm... This is type 3.

• 2 months later...

I have a type 3 keyboard in my main 800XL. I actually found a Type 4 NOS keyboard in storage today. I'll probably be selling it soon as I like my type 3...even tho it is not new :) It just feels a little better to type on in my personal opinion. Good thread btw, only found it now after so many years :)

• 3 months later...

Another thing I am wondering - notice how the "type 3" (AWC) and the Cherry keyboard (newly discovered "type 6"?) have identical keycaps. Also notice that (as seen in side photos), the "type 3" switches are not the same as the "type 2" AWC keyboard. I'd like to see the switch in the "type 3". It's possible that they're Cherry and there is no "type 6" after all. (I don't have one, so I can't check)

Cherry (type 6?)

post-21964-0-30240300-1354388171.jpg

Type 3

post-8944-1176213838.jpg

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

This is my favorite keyboard, hands down. It's an AWC but I'm not sure if it's exactly like type #2. It has a nice consistent spring feel and a very thin outline on the inverse keys.

I've had problems with the switches going bad on the Alps (type #1), and the other AWC (type #3) has a wobbly feel to the keys in comparison. Type #5 is very sloppy/chatter-y feeling as well.

post-3606-0-41984400-1397510382_thumb.jpg