IGNORED

New hardware: SIO_FIFO

Simius

It's just a FIFO/buffer to help prevent serial overrun which can be an especial problem at the higher speeds. It doesn't actually play any part in determining what SIO speed is in use though.

OK, selling it short - "it's just" is understating - this is giving us something that Pokey could well have done with in the first place.

Ok thanks, so it makes high speed SIO more reliable by buffering incoming bytes and that we can use Pokey divisor 0 without hiccups. I hope I finally got it :)

Edited by atari8warez

• 3 months later...

Hello, I installed the FIFO mod in my 130XE but have not tried using it yet, I have not altered the default value in the $register listed above. I was testing out some new floppy drives i had just picked up, but none of them were working.

After several failed attempts at getting a floppy to boot, I figured I would get out a known good drive and make sure the disk I was using were still OK. The known good drive is a Happy 1050, and it would only boot in Hi-speed OS. At first, I wrongly assumed it a was and issue with the stock OS I had flashed in my u1mb. I have tested all my drives with FIFO installed and have mixed results. Stock 1050's would not boot at all in standard or hi-speed OS. Indus, Rana and XF-551 would boot, but load data was sometimes corrupted.

I was preparing to drop in a stock OS and MMU, when I spotted the FIFO mod and decided to try pulling it first. After pulling the FIFO board everything is back to normal and booting normally.

Are the FIFO mods defaulted for Hi-speed mode? Do I need to disable the FIFO Mod while using floppy drive? Any one else have similar issues with fifo and floppy's?

Best Regards

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

Strange. There should be absolutely no problem with any floppy drive at normal speed, because the input state is simply (with very small delay) copied to the output, regardless of the clock rate.

It may be some hardware problem. I don't know what. Capacitors are removed as described?

You can always send back.

Edited by Simius

• 2 years later...