IGNORED

Stella 3.9.3 released

stephena

It's time for a new release of Stella. First of all, I apologize for being away so long. I've been dealing with an illness for the past 3 months, and am only now starting to get back into the swing of things.

This is a quick bugfix release based on the old 3.9 code (I'm currently working on what will become Stella 4.0). It includes new bankswitch schemes and a few bugfixes, thanks to several members here on AtariAge. Changes are as follows:

* Added bankswitch schemes BF, BFSC, DF, DFSC and 4KSC, thanks to RevEng and CPUWIZ of AtariAge.

* Updated ROM properties for several ROMs, thanks to Omegamatrix of AtariAge.

* Fixed program crash when specifying a bankswitch type that Stella didn't recognize; an error message is now displayed.

As usual, Stella can be downloaded from the Stella homepage. Donations are of course welcome, as is feedback in this thread or by PM.

• Like 17

Thanks stephena, it's always good to see that this project hasn't died off.

When I downloaded the file Norton Antivirus reported that the file was unsafe and qurentined it.

I ran it through Virus Total and nothing was found using 48 virus scanners.

I think it was just a reputation thing that NAV uses.

All seems to be working fine.

Thanks again.

For the Windows port, I use a Windows 7 virtual machine (VirtualBox). On a fairly regular basis, I do a full antivirus scan on this, and it's the only thing I use the VM for. So it's highly unlikely to be from my end, but not impossible of course.

Also, I've noticed that some antivirus products tend to mark anything downloaded from sourceforge.net as being a virus. This has personally happened to me with other types of software, but none of them ever contained a virus either.

I haven't heard anything about the Arch issue. Stella includes the latest libpng directly in the codebase, so that can be used instead, to eliminate any external requirements. Also, Stella compiles against both the old version (1.2.x) and the newer ones (1.5, 1.6), so this is likely an issue with the build environment used by the Arch package maintainer.

The list view icon appears to be missing:

post-3056-0-79202100-1391281032_thumb.png

I'm working on Frantic and was wondering if there's a way in the debugger to see the contents of the Display Data and Frequency RAM? I thought possibly using the DUMP command, with an address larger than FFFF, might work but no such luck :)

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

A feature request and suggestion:

With some rom names becoming stupid long I think we need a wrap-around feature someplace. Perhaps on the right side, the info section. Or perhaps do it explorer style when hovering over the rom name. Have it pop up with complete name.

Instead of displaying the path at the bottom, display it at the top. Get rid of the "select an item from the list ..." that's kind of redundant. And then at the bottom, display the selected rom name, in full, in a lighter green text.

What do you think?

post-4806-0-24051200-1393485593_thumb.png

I'm aware I could use a widescreen 16:10 monitor, and disable the rom viewer, or shrink the font size. But...

Edited by Keatah

• 1 month later...

I'm attempting to compile stella on the Raspberry Pi. Looks like the debugger and the cheat functions do not compile, and gets stuck on AtariVox.cpp. Looks to be a GCC bug.

Edit: nevermind. it's just "Working" now. I guess I shouldn't overclock so much.

Edited by Csonicgo

* Added bankswitch schemes BF, BFSC, DF, DFSC and 4KSC, thanks to RevEng and CPUWIZ of AtariAge.

@RevEng or @CPUWIZ *

During my lunch break I was working on implementing the Cartridge RAM Tab for additional cartridge types that contain extra RAM. Are there any test ROMs available for these new BFSC, DFSC and 4KSC formats?

Thanks!

* (I'm hoping the "MEMBER" BBCode will send y'all a notification ;))

4KSC

post-3056-0-16415500-1397601841_thumb.png

DFSC

post-3056-0-91205300-1397601867_thumb.png

BFSC

post-3056-0-39301600-1397601850_thumb.png

Have four left to do. One I can't find a ROM to test with, while the other three are implemented but results don't match what's in the upper RAM display.

• CTY - can't find a test ROM
  • 3E - using BoulderDash100
  • E7 - using BurgerTime
  • CM - using CompuMate

Hmm - think I just figured out why those 3 don't match the upper RAM display. Looks like the "RAM display" really shows whatever's banked into the "RAM Read address range" in the cartridge port's 4K window. For some cartridge types that can be ROM.

post-3056-0-35601200-1397602290_thumb.png

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1