IGNORED

Space Harrier Released

Sheddy

Sheddy is doing well, he is just busy working his but off.... and that is a blessing.

@TheRealBountyBob Play as hard you like... there are plenty of levels and challenges.... the cartridge will track your progress and let you start at milestones you reach.

this is faithful to the arcade I haven't heard anyone say they made it all the way on the 8-bit yet! (aside from play testing :) and of course the brother ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

@Sheddy (or other): That presentation screen (the 'flicker a lot' one) is a part of the main program or is it a single file?

Would it be possible I do that screen in G2F and together with a coder have the guy animatiom and change it on your game?

I think that it's really the only thing that maybe could be changed on the game.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is if I get the picture using G2F and maybe I could convince a coder to do the animation part:

The animation could be the guy in just PMGs or have some PMGs overlaying PFs (then a mix of hardware and soft sprite routine).

I isn't the most difficult to get that screen without flicker and have the guy animation if it is a single/alone screen.

If it's a part of the main program then, even for a coder, I think that maybe Sheddy would need to give some information...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Hey but who gets 98% its a shame and not understandable that he don't achieve the other 2%.

Just joking.

I think that I really understand what was inside Sheddy's head: He wanted that all the game looks the same way then using the same gfxs mode and the same engine.

Of course that on static screens a flicker mode is more noticable.

Of course that the most important are the in-game ones. Sheddy did an outstanding amazing work :) !

• 1 month later...

As far as I know if you have the real hardware then you just plug in the cart to the flashing hardware and boot the ATR which will then flash the cart, I believe you only need the studio to create that ATR?

Edited by Mclaneinc

The problem is that the original 8Mbit carts start on bank #$00 on powerup, and the newer 8Mbit carts start on bank #$7F on powerup. That this lead to compatibility issues is clear. There do circulate space-harier files for both the original and the newer atarimax 8mbit carts.

The problem is that the original 8Mbit carts start on bank #$00 on powerup, and the newer 8Mbit carts start on bank #$7F on powerup. That this lead to compatibility issues is clear. There do circulate space-harier files for both the original and the newer atarimax 8mbit carts.

That makes sense, since the version of the AtariMax 8 mbit cartridge and software that I have is very new.

To my knowledge, the only way to get the .ATR onto the cartridge is to right-click in a blank field in the Maxflash Studio program and select the load ATR image option (followed by synchronizing of course).

Anyway, if anyone does spot the one that works with the newer carts, please feel free to post a link. There's a few people that want proof that an Atari 8-bit can actually run a descent port of Space Harrier, and I intend to show them. :-D

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it working. Turns out there's a bit of a discrepancy in the manual. The docs say to load BIN files through the Tools menu. In reality, they're loaded through [Cartridge] -> [Program] -> [Maxflash 8 Mbit Flash Cartridge].

As for the game -- it's truly remarkable.

I've seen some fancy programming in my time but this takes the cake.

This Atari 8-bit port may be lower-resolution than the arcade machine, but it plays very much like the arcade version. That and it really shows what the Atari's hardware is capable of. I was running it on a stock Atari 800XL on a plasma TV. I should mention that the flicker on the plasma was minimal and almost not even noticeable.

I'm thinking this would be something that would go over really well if it were to be shown at some of the Demoscene shows in Europe.

Bravo!

• Like 3

Yes it is a fabulous port. I play this always on easy level. I love the music, and I love the ambiance. Especially in those levels where those giant balls come to you and where the skyline is minimal. In higher levels these levels are dark blue, which bright yellow objects. The flicker is more visible then, but it adds some real psychedelic fx to the screen.

yes Space Harrier is one of my all time favorites for atari 8bit.

Hello Kjmann,

Can you be kind to figure out how to convert from .ROM into .XEX or .ATR for my SIO2SD device ? I do have my Atari 800XL 1 Mb with stereo. I do not have any AtariMax Cartridge, sir. Will 1 month to be enough time to figure out how to convert ?

This is (probably) not going to happen. Biggest issue is that bankswitching on extended memory is a 16K window, and bankswitching with cart is 8K window. So with bankswitching on cart you have 8K more for a fixed part of code.

So even when the code will be re-compiled with bankswitching on extended memory there is still that problem, which I'm not sure there is space for or not.

This is (probably) not going to happen. Biggest issue is that bankswitching on extended memory is a 16K window, and bankswitching with cart is 8K window. So with bankswitching on cart you have 8K more for a fixed part of code.

So even when the code will be re-compiled with bankswitching on extended memory there is still that problem, which I'm not sure there is space for or not.

Absolutely Right. This game is too big for an XEX and it would take several floppies to make it work on Disk. it's just not practical and will probably net get converted.

Conrad: Buy a maxflash 8mbit cart and use it on that. it's what it was made for dude.

Edited by Kjmann

Hello Kjmann and everyone else,

I need to know if Space Harrier will work both AtariMax Flash 8Mbit Cartridge AND MyIDE-II Cartridge ? Will Space Harrier to be enough space on 512k SDRAM or 512k Flash Memory on MyIDE-II Cartridge as individual ?

Have any proof that will work on MyIDE-II as well ?

Because MyIDE-II has removable Compact Memory Card and AtariMax 8mbit cart does not have any removable card either SD or Compact.