IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

No, only because you're not "forced" to use the real deal instead

If you could not play the games other than playing them on the real deal , then you would be forced to own the original cartridges

The more they sold, the more expensive they get

I'm not saying emulation kill the market, it only affect it in some ways

:)

I agree that to some degree, it affected the value. I was responding to NIAD about emulators and roms. Emulation is a cheap way to get something you wouldn't want to buy the originals anyway. The flashback will do alot more to harm values than anything else - Anytime you add more way to access something, you have a natural decline in demand for the more expensive way. For example, you had video stores - than you had netflix and redbox. What happened to video stores - gone. Not saying the collectors market will dry up, but the values will decrease. The hope is that ToysRuS is the only distributor, that may be a saving grace.

Lets wait for the list of games, pinpoint the rare ones on that list and see what happens within a year or 2.

Edited by playazclub
  • Like 1

I agree that to some degree, it affected the value. I was responding to NIAD about emulators and roms. Emulation is a cheap way to get something you wouldn't want to buy the originals anyway. The flashback will do alot more to harm values than anything else - Anytime you add more way to access something, you have a natural decline in demand for the more expensive way. For example, you had video stores - than you had netflix and redbox. What happened to video stores - gone. Not saying the collectors market will dry up, but the values will decrease. The hope is that ToysRuS is the only distributor, that may be a saving grace.

Lets wait for the list of games, pinpoint the rare ones on that list and see what happens within a year or 2.

I agree

Does value is so important anyway?

As for me, I don't really care as long as it doesn't decrease more than what I paid for

:)

In terms of games licensed, there are some surprises (and AtGames is still pushing hard for more homebrews), but Nintendo stuff will not be among them. It's not shocking in any way about Nintendo, of course, but it's really unfortunate that Activision doesn't do any licensing like this because it affects all of the AtGames products (except for the Genesis ones). Obviously for pre-crash systems, Activision and Imagic had among the best game libraries, so their omission is kind of tragic for products like these. Still, lots of goodies on them, regardless.

Also, don't count on being able to hack these. They're not those types of designs. You can obviously reuse/do what you want with the case, controllers, and overlays, but not the internals of the "console" itself.

Hi, do you know if these will be available in Canada for sale & if so what retailer will be selling them? Thanks

Emulation doesn't kill the market simply because you're playing on the computer. With the flashback, you have a system that looks and feels very close the original. Way different.

This is what I'm talking about... You will probably never feel the need to buy a real Colecovision after the flashback whereas before, you may have. we'll have to see...

No. I haven't felt the need to own a real Colecovision for a very long time. It's best software consisted of arcade ports which are better in MAME anyway. I might just get a Flashback because it's cheap and easy. It will likely be more reliable than 30-year-old bulky electronics and their brittle plastic, RF video, and enormous power supplies. I was never going to get another vintage system anyway. I appreciate them as historical curiosities, and I like to read about them, but they're too bulky and troublesome to own. I don't have classic cars or vintage comics for this reason, either.

I know I could get a vintage Colecovision on ebay whenever I wanted, but I've got zero desire to have one again. Whether it's $20 or $200 wouldn't really matter, and the existence of the flashback reproduction is irrelevant, it's not the real thing, it doesn't have a cartridge port, and for all we know it might not even play accurately.

Heresy #2: I sure hope they remove the pointless boot up wait time.

• Like 1

ya know this thing could also produce MORE interest. Remember Atari was already a huge community so its flashback really didn't give this kind of possibility of growing interest.

you get a bunch of people that buy it and give it as gifts to people. They enjoy it and then discover through the internet that they can buy new games and many more games than just the 60 on theirs.

You never know it could help to build newer blood in the market. Also if we all have the hard to get games who is going to be left to buy them in the future. New blood that played some cheap clone with 60 games and now discovered there was so much more to offer from the system.

• Like 4

Also looking for Canadan preorder!

I recently spoke to AtGames and can at least confirm that they are looking at the possibility of a Canadian release and I believe are in discussions with a Canadian distributor. However, the extra cost of getting Canadian regulatory approvals and producing a localised version for Canada may result in it being cost prohibitive (this is me speculating and was not something that AtGames told me). In the meantime I wouldn't expect to see any Canadian specific pre-orders for at least a few months yet (if at all).

I recently spoke to AtGames and can at least confirm that they are looking at the possibility of a Canadian release and I believe are in discussions with a Canadian distributor. However, the extra cost of getting Canadian regulatory approvals and producing a localised version for Canada may result in it being cost prohibitive (this is me speculating and was not something that AtGames told me). In the meantime I wouldn't expect to see any Canadian specific pre-orders for at least a few months yet (if at all).

Cool, I wonder if they are trying to get it into Europe as well.

Cool, I wonder if they are trying to get it into Europe as well.

I believe that they are - I think that was mentioned. But again, the complexities and costs associated with producing localised versions creates uncertainty. It may depend upon how well the US release goes first.

Why is everyone so hot on pre-ordering? Does everyone think that it will really be sold out?

Did any of the other flashback systems sell out?

Plus, the Toy's R Us site said only five can be ordered per customer. Wouldn't it be easier for Canadian & European AA'ers to wait until it comes out, and then someone here in the states goes to Toy's R Us and buys as much as they can, and then ships them off to Canada and Europe?

Why is everyone so hot on pre-ordering? Does everyone think that it will really be sold out?

Plus, the Toy's R Us site said only five can be ordered per customer. Wouldn't it be easier for Canadian & European AA'ers to wait until it comes out, and then someone here in the states goes to Toy's R Us and buys as much as they can, and then ships them off to Canada and Europe?

For me preordering is more about finding a canadian distributor then being the first guy to own one. If someone like amazon.ca carries the product it means a similiar price to american consumers plus free shipping. If I have to buy the Colecovision flashback on ebay it means an increased "store" price plus very steep shipping. The cost could go from being 30 usd to 60-70 usd. I will buy at least one either way but I'd rather save some money.

• Like 1

Part of the reason is a sign of support. Part of the reason is so they can be assured that they can get one as soon as It comes out, cause I suspect Toys R Us is not going to have a lot of these in store....perhaps none.

I plan to pre-order the Intelivison and Collecovision ones myself, and perhaps the Atari one also.

I don't know exactly how to work this but, ...as we get closer to October, if there are no means to pre-order for the Canadian AA'ers, I will gladly pre-order five, and then ship four of them up North to anyone that wants to go in on them with me.

Just the cost of a unit, sales tax, and shipping will all I'll be looking for.

If anyone wants to join me, let me know. Then if they become available for Canada for pre-order, then there will be no need for this....

I'm really curious to see what the list of included games is. The Intellivision Flashback should be able to include plenty of the Mattel library without hassle, but I would think it'd be very difficult to get permissions for many of the better ColecoVision games.

I'm really curious to see what the list of included games is. The Intellivision Flashback should be able to include plenty of the Mattel library without hassle, but I would think it'd be very difficult to get permissions for many of the better ColecoVision games.

I would imagine that Nintendo would not grant license to DK or DK Jr. There was that ridiculous Kickstarter effort asking for $250,000 I think to license nearly the entire CV library for a mobile app. They swore that most of that was for the licenses, but who knows? AtGames has not gotten NAMCO games in the past. But you're right, it's a large number of different license holders.

I am also interested to see if any of the homebrew games make it in!

AtGames has included them in the past on other systems. Personally I'm not a fan of that. Nothing against the homebrewers, but it should be officially released games.

I have nothing against good home-brew games, but recreations of licensed things like Pac-Man or Wreck-it Ralph aren't going to fly on this kind of machine, at least without an SD card.

I started a spreadsheet speculating what might make it on here, given past behavior of different licensing companies. What's the best place to put something like that where we could all work on it?