IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

Probably a dirty read head and now ruining all your Diskettes.

Well I only used a select few diskettes before the drive stopped properly working and I haven't used that drive since I got it almost a week ago, so I should be fine. I am now using the working 1050 drive that was in its plastic bag in the box. Haven't had a single problem with that one yet, and the diskettes I used still thankfully seem to be fine. But I'll definitely look into cleaning the non-working drive and maybe my working drive just to stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

sometimes the switches in the back of a 1050 are in the wrong position or get funky, slide em around and select it as drive one or two if you already have a drive one... make sure to plug the cord into the drive before plugging into the wall. make sure onely one drive is set as #1 #2 #3 #4 if two drives have the same id they will error....

Hey guys, I'm back with some new questions:

1. My 410 tape drive still does not work. I opened it up and found that the rubber belts that run the drive were loose and warped. Is there any way to replace the belts?

2. The little piece of metal that is on the inside of the cartridge door on both the 400 and 800 has fallen off of both my 400 and 800. What is the best way to stick it back on?

Also, I cleaned both my 1050 drives. The working one had little to no dust inside of it and the read head was pretty much clean. I can't say the same for the other one. Even after cleaning all the dust and grime out of it, it still doesn't want to function properly, and I even checked the swich on the back as _The Doctor__ mentioned. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

High temperature double sided sticky tape, same stuff you use in automobiles, seems to work fine on the metal doors. Belts from electronic repair shop (the kind that fix car steroes and home stereo equipment) some old tv repair shops still have belts as well just take the old one with you... or try the usual places... best, bravo sierra, b&c.... etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a newbie on this forum and have a small problem with my 130XE, which can be seen in my attached photo's. I dug out my machine, which had lain in storage for 25+ years, and decided to clean it. While dismantling it the 'D' key cap fell off, caused by the plastic circular locating ring underneath being perished. I lost the pieces (there were lots of them) so even if I had managed to find any of them, I doubt it would have been complete once repaired. Since the case was grotty with age, I decided to spruce it up with some paint. This will probably be seen as sacrilege by some, but it was less trouble than the peroxide bath option.... Question is, does anyone on the group have any spare caps for sale?post-39249-0-58009800-1400169342_thumb.jpgpost-39249-0-30814600-1400169346_thumb.jpgpost-39249-0-13696000-1400169349_thumb.jpgpost-39249-0-90509600-1400169351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I decided to spruce it up with some paint. This will probably be seen as sacrilege by some, but it was less trouble than the peroxide bath option....

Hello, I think it's awesome... Except the green button on the right side! ;)

Regards,

Pfeuh

Since the case was grotty with age, I decided to spruce it up with some paint. This will probably be seen as sacrilege by some, but it was less trouble than the peroxide bath option.... Question is, does anyone on the group have any spare caps for sale?

The paint job looks nice! As for caps, if you can't find just the one you need I think Best Electronics still sells replacement keyboards for $25 to $35. The shipping might be expensive though.

The paint job looks nice! As for caps, if you can't find just the one you need I think Best Electronics still sells replacement keyboards for $25 to $35. The shipping might be expensive though.

Yes, I contacted them in relation to a keyboard and the shipping will be quite expensive. I am going to look around for a key cap (or perhaps a whole set) before going to the expense of postage from America. There must be failed keyboards around the place - when I worked in the industry (back when the Atari XE was current!) faulty machines were not unusual. I have about six different laptop keyboards lying around......

I have a bunch of those keyboards. If you're in the UK, PM me your address and I'll post you a spare key.

I really appreciate the offer. I hope it doesn't cause too much problem my being on the other side of the Irish sea in Dublin. I am more than happy to make any paypal payment you need for the postage costs.

If this is OK, I will send you my address and payment.

As a 'newbie', I'm not sure what PM means.

Is there something I need to do?

Best regards and thanks in advance.

PM means personal message or private message.

You can send messages to forum's users.

Just click on the envelope icon in the upper part of the screen.

I guess I should let the members know of my Atari hardware. A boxed (silver) 48K Atari 800 PAL. A boxed (silver) 48K Atari 800 NTSC. An Atari XE551 disk drive. A 1050 drive with happy chip installation. An XC12 tape deck - Japanese manufacture. A 1010 tape deck. The Atari 130XE as shown above - which includes the box in good condition. All of these include original Atari brand power supplies where applicable. A disassembled 1040STE, and a Mega 1 ST. Also 4 x Atari 2600jr. consoles (working) although these do not have power supplies. I have converted a suitable non Atari psu to suit the 2600.

I also own a Philips 8533 14" monitor which has composite audio and video inputs for the 8 bits, and an 8833 which works with the ST models. Quality of these is excellent, even if they are crt's... Plus a nice Commodore branded 14" screen, which has separate chrominance and luminance video inputs. Excellent picture reproduction on this also.

I need to dig through my stash to see if I have forgotten anything, which I will add to this list.