IGNORED

Telco -- Terminal Emulator (Questions/Answers/Downloads)

Omega-TI

Okay, I found and got a new copy TELCO with documentation, got it ported over to the PC and it looks like...

... so the heck with it, there is just too dang much editing involved for me to mess with it!

Seems to me like there should be a way to reformat the document. I'd love to have the TELCO documentation, since I don't have any, even if I had to reformat it myself from the original TIFILE. Can you post that? Thanks!

I used to work in journalism. One job was in another town and they used a mix of different systems. We had a mix of TI, Apple II clone, Osborne CP/M and Mac. By trial and error, I found the best way to port text was to replace any formatting characters with some unused marker.

I'd do a find/replace for all cr/lf occurances and replace that with a tilde ~. Send the output or file over null-modem as text-only with cr/lf stripped. When transferred, it was one solid block of text with no paragraphs. If you wanted a gap between sections, simply add extra tidles ~~~ to the original file.

Once transferred, I would then use find/replace again to change the tilde characters (and others as needed) into the formatting commands required by the typesetting equipment.

I'm guessing I can load the Telco docs into my TI and send it out the same way. That usually gets rid of all the garbage characters and short line lengths without much hand-editing needed afterwards.

-Ed

Seems to me like there should be a way to reformat the document. I'd love to have the TELCO documentation, since I don't have any, even if I had to reformat it myself from the original TIFILE. Can you post that? Thanks!

Someone surely has written a TI-Writer-to-some-word-processor converter. Anyway, it should not be that difficult to do. If you have seen my TI Forth Manual in the Development Resources thread, you will see what I did with the same situation—and, that was a much larger document, I think. Of course, it did take me awhile to do it; but, I was also doing extensive editing.

...lee

• Like 1

Okay, here it is, I didn't add any fancy graphics, but the index matches and it looks pretty much as it was originally intended.

Nice job! I shoulda checked here first, prior to trying it myself for an hour or so before giving up. Most of the time was spent relearning how to get the term programs talking the same Xmodem lingo.

I have the docs on an old TI disk, the file is in Dis/Fix 128 format. I guess because it makes for a much smaller filesize of 61k versus 90k. I used the printdoc program to "print" it to disk, that converted the file to D/V80. It would have to be loaded into TI-Writer in sections in order to add my magic tilde characters. Just porting the file straight to the Mac left all sorts of different formatting characters, such that using find/replace on that end would take awhile.

Telco has the ability to print it's manual from diskette, which was great "back in the day" if you had a compatible printer hooked up to your computer... Well, that day is long gone, but it would be cool to still have a manual, so I was wondering, has anyone ever scanned/copied a printed out manual into .PDF format? If so, do you know where it could be obtained?

I just have the doc files from the original disks lmk if you want a dsk image

Sorry for the repost people, but I figured the Telco stuff would be better off in one file, in case in the future someone wanted to get, try or use Telco.

This .ZIP file contains the following:
0) READ ME - Text file about the .ZIP file
1) TELCO COVER - A cover for the TELCO DOCUMENTATION file if you choose to print it.
2) TELCO DOCUMENTATION - This is the Users Guide/Reference Book for the program.
3) TELCO KEYBOARD STRIP - It's much easier to use this program at first with a little aid.
4) TELCO.DSK - This is the disk image of the program.
Greg / Arcadeshopper - I'd appreciate it if you could dump this somewhere on WHTECH. Thanks.

Telco - Complete Package.zip

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The original version supports auto-dialing via macros and can be configured to 80-columns as well.

Yeah, I use the macro function to dial the UDS-10 since the auto-dialer feature will only work with shorter phone numbers and a modem. Being able to update the auto-dialer for Internet use would be sweet for automatic redialing or progressing to the next 'non-busy' system for sure.

At present the 80 column feature only works with 9938 & 9958 based 80 column cards. There's some skepticism that it could even be tweaked to run on the F18A without an extensive re-write.

Sadly, it all comes down to numbers and potential users, so I'll not hold my breath. There's not a lot of 'active' TI users left in the world, and even fewer of them have the capability or even desire to use Telco. So, while it would be nice, who's really going to bother spending all that time to update a program that maybe twenty people might use?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

any word on this?

Greg

To my knowledge... none.

No one with the programming ability, (that I know of) has contacted Charles Earl to see if the source code is available.

TIMXT seems to be the program of choice where the F18A is involved. Not only does TIMXT have full 80 columns, it supports color ANSI graphics, although I believe it's still a work in progress. You of course already know this Greg, I just put it out there for the many newbies we've picked up over the last few months.

• Like 1