IGNORED

Alien Voice Box II

Fletch

• 2 years later...

The XL line does not provide 12vdc on the SIO port like the old ATARI 800

So there is a DC jack on the unit and it says on the Addendum to Instruction note that you need an AC adapter with output of 9 and 12v DC at 20ma negative ground, and you need to plug this adapter into the mini-jack on the VOICE-BOX II unit.

Nir

the Question is if they write negative ground do they mean center negative? if so the ATARI 2600 will not work as it center positive

Nir

I would interpret it exactly as written, that the ground side of the system is at the negative potential same as the Atari. So for a coaxial power connection that would mean the center pin is normally the positive connection. And if this thing originally derived 12 VDC from the SIO jack, it would have absolutely been required to share the same ground as the 400/800. Of course that is simply my way of interpreting it, and should be verified.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can you tell a Voice Box I from a Voice Box II from looking at it?

Obviously there are some that have Red lettering and others that have Green lettering. Some have knobs, but some do not. From Nir's description, it sound like some have a power jack to power it so that it will work with the 800XL.

I have a green labeled unit with a knob and no power jack. It works with the 800, but not with the 800XL.

Do some VB2 units have a power jack and some do not?

So colors, knobs and power jacks, whats what?

Mine came with paperwork dated July '82. No markings on board. I believe it to be an early prototype VB1 sent from Alien Group in Manhattan with handwritten instructions to the cassette/disk duplication company "Custom Dup" in California..

post-188-0-42020100-1512447244_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-37045500-1512447250_thumb.jpg

Bill

Edited by Bill Lange

Bill and I have been talking about this offline, and I have only questions, no answers.

I have two units, one with a knob and one without. (Both green text, no power supply jack.)

post-803-0-67854000-1512447310_thumb.jpg

Innards. Notice top (knobless) is 12/82, and says AVB-2. Bottom (knob) is (no month) 82. So I THINK top is VB II and bottom is VB I.

post-803-0-72310900-1512447340_thumb.jpg

Here's the other side of the top, knobless one:

post-803-0-12838600-1512447686_thumb.jpg

And the other side of the bottom, knob one:

post-803-0-63550800-1512447726_thumb.jpg

OK! I've learned that my knob one is definitely a VB1. It works with the VB1 software that Bill put on Internet Archive. (https://archive.org/details/AlienGroupVoiceBoxOne) But my knobless one does not work with it.

On the other hand, the knob one doesn't work with the VBII disks. The knobless one does. It's a VB2.

So I don't know if ALL VB2s lack a knob, but mine does.

—Kevin

• Like 1

I know that GORF etc that uses that chip have had it emulated but I'm not sure if its samples or actual chip emulation...

Will dig out my MAME HD and check...

EDIT: Can't find any samples so I presume its emulated, i wonder if Avery would consider an emulated device?

I know its not like having the real thing but its a nice 2nd best if he was interested..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I wonder if the full chip has been emulated in MAME or just the bits that make the phrases used in Q'bert...

mamedev.org says it is partially emulated:

"MAME 0.181 also marks the debut of Votrax SC-01 emulation in MAME, based on reverse-engineering die photographs. The digital section should be pretty much perfect, although there are still some issues in the analog section (plosives dont sound quite right). Overall, its a huge improvement in Votrax speech synthesis emulation, and a great leap forward in our understanding of how the hardware works. It also means speech samples are no longer required for a number of games."

• Like 3

No one ask which situation he wants that at :)

LOL......I completely restored an empty Q*bert cabinet about 3 years ago......when you turn on the power of a Q*bert cab it actually says that in the familiar Q*bert voice. This also kind of undermines the myth that the programmers didn't get the speech chip to say anything reasonable......the quiberish speech of Q*bert was deliberate....

https://youtu.be/g7agkJ7oC4E

I read a lot about speech chips in my arcade collecting days and these things are some amazing technology. They actually recreate mathematically the characteristics of all human (mostly English) sounds that people can make.

Somethings I will never understand, like how the Atari guys managed to get a speech chip actually sound like Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and even R2D2 (Star Wars arcade machine)......because....they sound like samples....and yet they're not. Different speech chip I know....but it is some amazing stuff these brilliant people created and it is sadly a "lost craft" because of other technologies surpassing it....

Oh....and Wouldn't it be cool if your A8 said "Hello, I'm turned on" every time you power it up ? ????

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3