IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Just for reference: classic99 has never been able to run at normal TI speed on my Intel atom powered Acer Aspire 1 netbook. It would be great if a new release could improve things a bit. IIRC Win994A does run normally.

Classic99 runs just great on my 8 year old Toshiba Tecra though :-)

• Like 1

Just for reference: classic99 has never been able to run at normal TI speed on my Intel atom powered Acer Aspire 1 netbook. It would be great if a new release could improve things a bit. IIRC Win994A does run normally.

Classic99 runs just great on my 8 year old Toshiba Tecra though :-)

Classic ran better on my old Samsung R519 laptop (1gb, dual core cpu, nothing special) .... the thing is, I used Classic99 all the time, as I was making my original run of games .... and it kept overheating. Now, I've never known wether it was Classic99 or just a heat sync problem, but for a time I did christen our beloved emulator "Laptop Killer".

Affectionately, of course :)

yay! ;)

It was always hard on the CPU, but I'd thought that had been reduced enough - at least, people stopped complaining. ;)

Classic99 does several things differently from other emulators, so direct comparisons are rarely fair. I believe it's the only emulator to render the display independent of the video bitdepth and rely on the video drivers to convert it (which is why performance has always been so variable). I'm not positive, having not looked deeply at Win994a, but I suspect it's the only multi-threaded one, too. ;)

I will try to get the new release out this weekend. I don't remember what fixes it has, but the timing fix at least is bound to help some systems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING FOR COMCAST INTERNET SUBSCRIBERS

Comcast is turning peoples home routers into public WiFi spots WITHOUT ASKING...

If you have an Arris WiFi router and are a Comcast subscriber, you may want to read << THIS >>.

This is common practice all over the world and I'm surprised the US is just now catching up on this. It's actually a good thing for the majority of customers. Here in Belgium my cable provider (Telenet, a liberty global subsidiary, the largest cableco in the world) does the same thing. The result of this is that I as a subscriber have free WiFi access wherever I'm in another Telenet customer's home. I no longer need to ask friends for access to their WiFi network (meaning they no longer have to share their password with me).

There is no adverse effect on internet speeds, since the primary SSID (your home network) has priority over the public SSID. If I'm saturating my connection, the free WiFi users get nothing.

In terms of privacy, it's all done on a separate vlan, so it's not like everyone all of the sudden has access to your computers on your LAN.

This is common practice all over the world and I'm surprised the US is just now catching up on this.

Not here in Germany, I think. They are all avoiding any kind of open WiFi as hell because of a law that punishes people that willingly or negligibly provide support for a crime or offense. That is, if someone distributes unlicensed material (movie, music etc) over your WiFi, you will also be prosecuted.

Ever wondered why German airports or train stations don't have free Wifi?

Not here in Germany, I think. They are all avoiding any kind of open WiFi as hell because of a law that punishes people that willingly or negligibly provide support for a crime or offense. That is, if someone distributes unlicensed material (movie, music etc) over your WiFi, you will also be prosecuted.

Ever wondered why German airports or train stations don't have free Wifi?

As far as I know at least Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich airports have free WiFi. The only one that I don't recall having it is Berlin Tegel, but... well it's Tegel... That said, Germany is indeed one of the few countries where you need to provide an email address or other means of identification to get access to it.

That said, this is something different. This service requires you to log in with your internet provider credentials, so it's not anonymous at all. In Germany T-Mobile calls it WLAN To Go, Kabel Deutschland calls it Homespot service. It's true that Comcast's twist of giving 10 minutes for free to everyone isn't very common, but the core service is exactly the same.

Just because it is "common practice" in other places does not necessarily mean that not providing such a "service" is the equivalent of not being "caught up." The security of this practice is actually a project which I am currently researching.

• Like 1

Just because it is "common practice" in other places does not necessarily mean that not providing such a "service" is the equivalent of not being "caught up." The security of this practice is actually a project which I am currently researching.

When a certain market starts providing a service after it has been well established in other markets, I would call that catching up. But I didn't mean to offend, I was simply expressing my surprise about the fact that you're only now getting this. I'd be interested in hearing your findings on the security aspect, but I do want to clarify that I know for a fact these system are at least designed to strictly separate both types of traffic (I work for a company that makes modems and routers, we integrate this stuff in our product lines). Of course, that doesn't mean the design implementation is by definition perfect, but at least all parties involved are aiming for a secure solution.

No offense, just making pass at your choice of words. An entire country plays the game of "football" with an egg-shaped ball and goal posts suspended above the ground without a goal tender. I would not use the term "catch up" when referring to other countries taking up the sport, etc. ad nauseum.

I work with a group of people who are in direct competition with your company's efforts. While it is possible to hop VLANs and saturate the wireless (remember, all devices share the same spectrum, irrespective of isolation,) security is end-to-end considering all end-points. I deploy these types of systems, as well, and in the back of my mind I know there are certain aspects to these products which will ultimately be exploited (amongst parts which already are capable of being exploited.)

The whole thing seems a little shady to me. First, they charge you for the modem, second, they charge you up the Wazoo for the Internet 'service', third, they use your electricity (albeit very little), but they don't even bother to ask you if it's okay. As far as I know, they don't bother to give you 'cut' of the take or deduct any money from your bill if they do make any money off your router. The more I think about it, it just seems plain rude.

• Like 1

The whole thing seems a little shady to me. First, they charge you for the modem, second, they charge you up the Wazoo for the Internet 'service', third, they use your electricity (albeit very little), but they don't even bother to ask you if it's okay. As far as I know, they don't bother to give you 'cut' of the take or deduct any money from your bill if they do make any money off your router. The more I think about it, it just seems plain rude.

The article mentions the ability to "opt out" of the service, as well as the fact that you lease the modem so it remains the property of ComCast, and they are using it to extend their network with no impact on your service quality. On the surface and at face value it seems fine, though some may not appreciate people sitting outside of their home when using this service. From my initial investigation, "guest" users do not use your service in so far as they do not appear on your IP address and do not use any of your bandwidth.

• 2 weeks later...

Strikingly reminds me of this old TV sketch from Loriot (Christmas with the Hoppenstedts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo55jk0HFWA

If you don't understand German, just some points here, you'll get the rest.

@0:00-1:21

Shop lady trying to find out whether Grandpa's grandchild is a boy or a girl.

[Grandpa is Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot himself]

@1:22:

Grandpa: So do you have toys for good children or not?

Clerk: Well, yes, there is a brand new toy here for kids aged 5 to 10. It is very well sought after lately: "We build a nuclear plant". Kids are having lots of fun, and their parents as well. Really something for the whole family. Here are the game instructions, and here are all the components to be put together: The reactor core, the uranium rods, cooling system, neutron accelerator, and the safety housing.

Grandpa: And what's that?

Clerk: These are trees, houses, and cows for the surroundings. Very nicely crafted.

Grandpa: And can it really ... ufff ... explode?

Clerk: Yes, sure, when you do a mistake, there'll be a small explosion. Of course, not really, it's for kids. But it makes "poof", and the cows tilt over, and the houses, and the trees. But there's always great cheers and lots of fun! Want to take it?

Grandpa: Yes.

@2:33:

Grandpa: In former days there was more lametta (tinsel). [This has become a winged word in Germany.]

@2:40-3:00: Mom and Dad trying to set up a plan how to proceed during that Christmas Evening.

@5:37

Dad: Ah well, a tie

Mom: Ain't that great! [gemütlich]

@6:20

Mom: Will Dad now play the new game with you?

Dad: "We build a nuclear plant" ... There are cows, and trees, and houses, and they all want a new nuclear plant.

Mom: Oh why can't every day be Christmas?

@7:00

Mom: May Mom have a look?

Dad: If we did something wrong, it's supposed to do "poof".

Edited by mizapf

Found a few files on one of my disks that may be of interest... Figured for now I would dump them here ;)

1. GPL Manual is the 1979 GPL programming language manual formatted to print from TI Writer.

2. 99_4a ROMS appears to be commented source code for the console ROM. I think I have another similar version, I'll poke around another day for that.

3. DSR and GPL specs is the TI Writer formatted versions of some of the functional specs I uploaded sometime ago. Like the GPL manual, I had forgotten these existed.

!gplmanual2.zip!99_4a-rom source.zip!dsr and gpl specs.zip

• Like 1