IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

I'm not missing any point. Every response you just posted is blatantly illogical to anyone who has ever done this sort of business. I won't bother going through these new "angles" again. You remain deluded and ignorant of how business is done. Just forget about Knight Rider and program the damn game.

Man, is there anything geekier than a flame war on an Atari board? I'm embarassed now.

Okay, to the others who are viewing this: should I continue to knock apart the licensing problems point-by-point or just let it drop. I can do it if the rest of you find it interesting, but I don't want to do it just to be argumentative.

Mission 1: Find and apprehend the PHANTOM SQUIRREL.

Michael Knight: "What the hell was that flash of white"

KITT: It appears to be a phantom squirrel Michael. Shall I place a tracer on it?

Michael Knight: P...P...Phantom Squirrel??! *shits pants*

• Like 1

While I admire and can relate to your enthusiasm( I was a constant dreamer as a kid ) Reality has constantly caught up with me time and again and smacked me in the face!

I was a Transformers fanatic back in the day and have always been good in my drawing skills. Through many classes at school I would design new characters and skillfully plan out how they would transform and would make several detailed drawings of how they would convert from vehicle or beast to robot, their weapons, etc.

I think I was 12 years old when I sent a letter and drawings for approxiamately a dozen new robot characters( 5 of them forming a team that made a giant robot, which took lots of planning on my part. ) to Hasbro, thinking that they might want me on their design team.

I don't have the response they sent to me with me right now, but I can paraphrase the last 2 lines of it from memory:

"While we appreciate your enthusiasm and ideas we are already involved in several new Transformer toys and designs and have a team devoted to this task."

"We thank you for your interest and hope you will continue to find enjoyment in owning future Transformer products in the years to come!" :ponder:

I like your controller design. Have you considered focusing your time and energy on producing this controller for use with other games( Star Raiders perhaps, etc. ) and scrap the exclusivity for "Knight Rider" and remove the Knight Rider name from it. Perhaps even leave the game on the back burner until you see how well the controller does as a stand- alone product?

Like the Foot Pedal, it could be a nice addition to the 2600 controller family and would broaden its marketability. I have nothing against "Knight Rider" personally, just that you may find more satisfaction in the long run if the product you are selling is your own idea. While it has been slowgoing for my "franchise" that I'm working to make into a movie and then have merchandise for it, It is MY idea and concept and I have "poetic license" to design for it what I want.

I may not make a lot of money from it in the long run, but it is My idea I can still make my dream happen w/o any current legal B.S.

Good Luck with your plans and don't be afraid to alter them if necessary.

- Weston 8)

• Like 1

I've been monitoring this post for several days now, and, while I'm a little green to posting on the board, I must say... I'm interested.

Now, as to whether or not this project can be completed (as it stands currently), I will not place my bet at this time. While my skepticism leans more toward "not possible," I have seen strange things come true many times when I've been a nay-sayer, so at this point I'm not willing to second-guess anything.

I like the controller design. But I must concur with Gateway... why not market the controller separate from the game? That way, if you get in a hole with the game, at least you've designed a nifty controller that a lot of fans would enjoy with other joystick / touchpad titles. And, if you do manage to finish the game, then consider bundling the controller with the game. Break it into small steps. It might be a little easier to digest. :)

Now I'm only a college student learning programming and dabbling in game design (especially RPGs). I do have expeirence with Basic and C++, but nothing too technical. However, with what little experience I have now, already I have learned one life lesson in programming (for games or whatever else). "One thing at a time." Remember that. Patience is a definite key to this if you want to make this game a reality (if indeed you can).

:idea: As far as the licensing question goes... if you finish the game and worse comes to worse and you can't get a license from Fox, why not just change things up a bit and make it unrelated to Knight Rider? It'd still be a fun driving and crime-busting game, but we here on the board would know what's really "under the hood." :P

Whether the game is possible or not, though, I do wish you much success and I am interested in seeing how this thing will play out. Not just as a KR and 2600 fan, but merely... a gamer in general.

Best of luck to you.

I see the game setup as you've proposed as possible, but I doubt you'll get it into your hopeful 4k-8k (well, 8k possibly)

The game sounds awesome the way described. The driving mode would be something like Grand Prix, with obxticles and other cars (horizontal or verticle scrolling, I don't guess it really matters)

The map mode kind of confused me...You mean you go to a 6 screen map and have a little car Icon you run around it till you find what you want? Or did I miss the point?

The fighting your way into the...well, safehous of the badguy could be something like BerZerk, with a few enemies on a simple background screen. Either have them shoot at you, not real bullets of course, just a depiction of their atteintion or something, and if it hits you, you get kicked out, or, have them walk set tracks around the maze like room, and you have to keep a wall between you and all the enemies, kind of Metal Gear style.

Badguy boss fight, you are going to fight him right. How about something on the lines of Kung fu Master? Those bosses were decently challenging if you don't religiously play the game.

The text contact with your car, being able to call for help is pretty awesome Idea, but without it, I think the game would still float among homebrew collectors just fine still.

I like the design for the controller, wher eyou lay a keypad into the wheel. I figure it'd play just fine with other games since it's really just a shapely standard joystic.

Over all, I see the game as very doable. And I'd like to see it, franchize name behind it or not. Heck, if the deal to licenze it falls through, just call it cool car or something and still have a kick arse game to play.

I sure hope this isn't a pipedream, becasuse it just sounds like an over all awesome game, eve if it turns out to not be a kniterider game.

Keep your dream alive, but I will agree with some others, take smaller steps to warm up to the 2600's programming and learn it's capabilities. Heck, maybe you could release games that are related to the final Knight Rider game such as a game that plays like a sinle aspect, and a few years down the road, you may add more features, move, or drop some, and come up with a complete knightrider game.

Yes, I've definitley considered releasing the Joypad on it's own. It agree that it could stand its own with out the KR game. The prototype feels pretty solid, it really does enhance the feel of several 2600 titles. (Star Raiders, Solaris, Enduro, & Night Driver are a few)

It could be out there on the market next year, but we'll see how the early models do in the "lab." Right now I'm working with clay models, so the production phase is a ways off, and we're consumed with the KR title that uses it at this time.

Oh, and concerning the KR namesake. We have a few alternate monikers ready, just in case we can't use the Knight Rider name.

1.) Night Ride

2.) Lone Crusader

3.) Shadowy Flight

Suggestions?

We do have a few original game ideas that would use the Joypad, one of them a crude first-person shooter.

Gotta go, I'm on my lunch break. I'll post some graphic storyboards for KR2600 later today, so stay tuned.

Thanx,

James for the Savage team.

• Like 1

yup, it 'tis. even if it were a stick, its not like the controller is used for turning, its just a molded hand grip with a dpad on the thumb*. but i think it would rock for any games that use the keypad (iirc i used to use the keypad for all the extra moves on stargate, so it might help that too.)

* (based on impression from image,) if the controller itself does turn and offer control that way, please let me know... and if it does, please make it twist forward star wars arcade style, so many games would greatly benefit from that (not the least of which, 2600 star wars arcade,)