IGNORED

New Atari BBS software.

tschak909

Can somebody run this binary through debugger emulation under SpartaDOS X and help me figure out why the hell this thing is failing to load?

Am I right in thinking you've set up a stage 2 VBL at $3063? If so, first thing it does is jump right into the banking window, and this can occur when SDX has swapped the DOS bank in during a CIO or other DOS call:

post-21964-0-94590200-1408278169_thumb.png

DOS currently has the DOS bank switched in here (the environment table is sitting at $4000). Solution: keep all ISR code outside of the banking window.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

What the fuck? It's not me. Gosh I love it when standard libs do helpful things that aren't....helpful. ;)

If it's the serial library, that fucking tears it, and I'll just jettison that damned thing.

Well, that gives a start.. I'll see what I can dig up... Thanks.. :)

*scratch-head* :?

-Thom

The problem is that IRQStub JSRs to something that isn't there when SDX banks DOS in. Trying to figure out what the subroutine at $622F actually does...

EDIT: It calls "callirq", which allows functions to be registered as interrupt service routines (CALLIRQ.S). I think you can bin it. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

The code itself loads into LOWCODE, which, only definition I can find is in the linker config:

FEATURES {
    STARTADDRESS: default = $2000;
}
SYMBOLS {
    __EXEHDR__:          type = import;
    __SYSTEM_CHECK__:    type = import;  # force inclusion of "system check" load chunk
    __AUTOSTART__:       type = import;  # force inclusion of autostart "trailer"
    __STACKSIZE__:       type = weak, value = $0800; # 2k stack
    __STARTADDRESS__:    type = export, value = %S;
    __RESERVED_MEMORY__: type = weak, value = $0000;
}
MEMORY {
    ZP:            file = "", define = yes, start = $0082, size = $007E;

# file header, just $FFFF
    HEADER:        file = %O,               start = $0000, size = $0002;

# "system check" load chunk
    SYSCHKHDR:     file = %O,               start = $0000, size = $0004;
    SYSCHKCHNK:    file = %O,               start = $2E00, size = $0300;
    SYSCHKTRL:     file = %O,               start = $0000, size = $0006;

# "main program" load chunk
    MAINHDR:       file = %O,               start = $0000, size = $0004;
    RAM:           file = %O, define = yes, start = %S,    size = $BC20 - __STACKSIZE__ - __RESERVED_MEMORY__ - %S;
    TRAILER:       file = %O,               start = $0000, size = $0006;
}
SEGMENTS {
    EXEHDR:    load = HEADER,     type = ro;
    SYSCHKHDR: load = SYSCHKHDR,  type = ro,                optional = yes;
    SYSCHK:    load = SYSCHKCHNK, type = rw,  define = yes, optional = yes;
    SYSCHKTRL: load = SYSCHKTRL,  type = ro,                optional = yes;
    MAINHDR:   load = MAINHDR,    type = ro;
    STARTUP:   load = RAM,        type = ro,  define = yes;
    LOWCODE:   load = RAM,        type = ro,  define = yes, optional = yes;
    INIT:      load = RAM,        type = ro,                optional = yes;
    CODE:      load = RAM,        type = ro,  define = yes;
    RODATA:    load = RAM,        type = ro;
    DATA:      load = RAM,        type = rw;
    BSS:       load = RAM,        type = bss, define = yes;
    ZEROPAGE:  load = ZP,         type = zp;
    EXTZP:     load = ZP,         type = zp,                optional = yes;
    AUTOSTRT:  load = TRAILER,    type = ro;
}
FEATURES {
    CONDES: type    = constructor,
            label   = __CONSTRUCTOR_TABLE__,
            count   = __CONSTRUCTOR_COUNT__,
            segment = INIT;
    CONDES: type    = destructor,
            label   = __DESTRUCTOR_TABLE__,
            count   = __DESTRUCTOR_COUNT__,
            segment = RODATA;
    CONDES: type    = interruptor,
            label   = __INTERRUPTOR_TABLE__,
            count   = __INTERRUPTOR_COUNT__,
            segment = RODATA,
            import  = __CALLIRQ__;
}

This is from the bog standard atari.cfg. Similar results with the atarixl config which banks certain things under OS RAM. Am trying to figure out how it determines the final address for a given segment...

-Thom

For now, will _try_ to see what gets loaded into LOWCODE, to see if i can rip out the segment, if I need to, I'll just rip out irq.s from the standard library. I see why it's there, it provides a very convenient way to bolt on IRQ calls to functions..the irony here is that they need to be assembler due to the stack saving needed...

grrr :P :)

-Thom

With that lowcode problem, did you output a map file from the linker? You are using the stock Atari linker config? Lowcode should actually be in low memory (below $4000), but perhaps you just have too much in that segment. That will have to be mentioned to the Atari library maintainers if so...

The interrupt routines were added to the libray (I believe anyway), to make it "easy" to write interrupt routines, and like anything in cc65 are geared towards the ability to create programs that are cross-platform (which frankly I find a bit annoying when it involves things that are linked by default.)

Ok, now that the two major issues that were plaguing me have been subverted, I'm dealing with trying to figure out a module structure. :) Now to see if I can pass around function pointers in cc65...

-Thom

Actually, going to make a slight detour, and see if I can get rid of all the messages in the system, and replace them with reading them from disk, wanna cut down on the stupid RAM usage

_and_

make it localizable as a side effect.

PROMPTED...

yeah, tried it with both 3.2g and sdx... however in sdx maybe I forgot to load the rs232... humm....

If I load Altirra with sdx 4.46 I get an error 179 Memory Conflict error when I try to start bbs.ata. Also tried to load with X command, same error.

Edit, I'll just wait for whatever changes and try again, too early to try and debug these errors.

Edited by Android8675

If you're running in SDX, and have an U1MB/Incognito, I use the following CONFIG.SYS (I am running 4.46 as well), and I have the system configured in 1088K RAMBO mode.

USE BANKED

DEVICE SPARTA

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE ULTIME

-Thom

This may be, because I've lowered memlo quite a bit... Can you modify bbs/src/atari-bbs.cfg, and change STARTADDRESS to $2400 ?

If that works, try cranking it down until it stops. :)

Also, yes, on a REAL 800, make sure you have your interface ready, and that RS232 is loaded.

If you're running in SDX, and have an U1MB/Incognito, I use the following CONFIG.SYS (I am running 4.46 as well), and I have the system configured in 1088K RAMBO mode.

USE BANKED

DEVICE SPARTA

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE ULTIME

This may be, because I've lowered memlo quite a bit... Can you modify bbs/src/atari-bbs.cfg, and change STARTADDRESS to $2400 ?

If that works, try cranking it down until it stops. :)

Also, yes, on a REAL 800, make sure you have your interface ready, and that RS232 is loaded.

Got it running after changing startaddress, but failing to find interface under sdx, I may not be loading the right rs232 interface, gimmie a moment...

I loaded the atari850.hnd driver from IceT and it's alive again.

APE though, it transmits in bursts, but if you wanna connect to an 800 running incog, go for it. telnet://shodan.synchro.net:9000

(you can throttle Syncterm to 9600 baud and it smooths out again (Press alt-down arrow to change terminal speed)

edit: When it's trying to disconnect APE doesn't respond to ATH0, and the docs for APE seem to be offline at the moment. Will tinker around with it.

Edited by Android8675
  • Like 3