IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Not for that kind of product....in fact, I've seen Atari Flashback in FutureShop

Well, there are language laws that apply in Quebec, but I don't know them in detail myself. If any laws apply to the CV Flashback, it probably involves offering French and English versions of the manuals inside the box, at the very least.

Well, there are language laws that apply in Quebec, but I don't know them in detail myself. If any laws apply to the CV Flashback, it probably involves offering French and English versions of the manuals inside the box, at the very least.

Even bought the Icade at Futureshop and everything was in english, including packaging and manual

What I'm more worried about is the Canadian FCC rules wich are clearly more strict than in the USA

Even bought the Icade at Futureshop and everything was in english, including packaging and manual

What I'm more worried about is the Canadian FCC rules wich are clearly more strict than in the USA

Didn't think about that one. If it cost Atgames money to apply for a Canadian FCC license, they may not decide to do it. :sad:

Furthermore, if it's like in the US, the license must be affixed to every product (typically on the bottom), meaning that the retail consoles could not be distributed as is, and the label affixed to the bottom of the unit, and possibly the packaging as well, would all need to be redone. It's these kinds of regulations that kill products, unfortunately...

Edited by stardust4ever

Didn't think about that one. If it cost Atgames money to apply for a Canadian FCC license, they may not decide to do it. :sad:

Furthermore, if it's like in the US, the license must be affixed to every product (typically on the bottom), meaning that the retail consoles could not be distributed as is, and the label affixed to the bottom of the unit, and possibly the packaging as well, would all need to be redone. It's these kinds of regulations that kill products, unfortunately...

At the very least, retro gaming shop could carry the Flashback , like they are actually doing with RetroDuo , Yobo and all the clones out there

Well, couldn't they do something like they do when they sell Coca-Cola from Mexico? My supermarket imports the stuff, and sells it either singaly, in a 12 pack, or 12 pack. All they do is slap a sticker with English writing on it onto the bottle (which has the ingridents, dietary info, etc.) on it and it's good to go.

Well, couldn't they do something like they do when they sell Coca-Cola from Mexico? My supermarket imports the stuff, and sells it either singaly, in a 12 pack, or 12 pack. All they do is slap a sticker with English writing on it onto the bottle (which has the ingridents, dietary info, etc.) on it and it's good to go.

Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar. Nearly all soda sold in the United States uses high fructose corn syrup, which IMO is bad for metabolism.

• Like 2

Managed to nab one tonight at my local TRU <San Pedro and 281 SATX> They had the Intellevision and Atari Flashback systems as well. Had to get an override, but they had no issues about selling them. Ran into a friend of mine who nabbed the Intellevsion one. Hopefully they won't clear the shelves tomorrow after having to do the manager overrides.

Here is my little CV Flashback Review, well...sort of

I played the unit for about 5 hours now

I would say the controller joystick height really stink, I highly prefer the original height BY FAR

It truly sucks they're not compatible with the stock CV, they should revised that and also sell controllers separetely

The choice of games is not bad, not perfect but not bad, its missing some classic CV games there but I can live with that for a Flashback unit, I have the real deal anyway

The overlays quality is somehow cheap, we printed overlays using Phil Boland services and they look MUCH BETTER, again no big deal for a Flashback unit but I wanted to point that

Overlays should be sold separately, all overlays in a box

The video quality

Not perfect but does look good on a CRT monitor (tested on a Commodore 1084 )

On LCD monitor though..... Yikes....it suffer but pretty much all consoles in AV sucks on LCD monitor anyway

The audio

Not bad but the pitch is just a bit too much high

Some sounds really suffer though...

The melody in Evolution seems so much weird to me with the Flashback.....

I would say the audio is the worst part of the CV Flashback

But I'm not sure a non-CV Fans would notice it, really....

For a CV Fans, I would say get one for your collection or for modding, but obvisouly not for extensive gameplay

If you feel like you don't need one for your collection or you don't want to mod your unit, I would say pass and don't buy it

For someone who want to experience back the Colecovision and don't want to spend money on a real Colecovision, this is something you might enjoy!

I would say buy one! For $40 it's not much for what you get!

• Like 4

Based on your first-hand experience with the FB system, then, are you still interested in distributing the product?

It sounded to me more like retroillucid's concern was whether the AtGames products would even pass Canadian FCC testing. So AtGames could pay for the testing but end up failing, and then they would have to spend more money to revise the product and resubmit for testing; all of that might not be worth the time and effort.

onmode-ky

Been wanting to answer this one, but couldn't find your old post until now, yeah there is, if you count Jungle Hunt, just look at the back of Colecovision's Flashback box!

:grin:

True, I was thinking of that as a Taito license (which it is for these purposes) rather than an Atarisoft title, but you're of course right. Speaking of Taito, because of the lack of Super Action Controller support, one of my favorite ColecoVision games - which obviously could have been licensed - Front Line, was omitted.

• Like 1

I'm feeling that too, but in less than a month, I'll have my very own Colecovision, complete with sixty games! More than a shirt full and WAY more than anyone else I knew at the time had or could afford. That's like $1,800 worth of software, which in 1983, was more like $4,300 in today's money! Vengeance is ours.

The Flashback costs as much as Zaxxon did by itself -- "on sale!"

400;341;6808bf766135431427a547e4686e7b53

True, I was thinking of that as a Taito license (which it is for these purposes) rather than an Atarisoft title, but you're of course right. Speaking of Taito, because of the lack of Super Action Controller support, one of my favorite ColecoVision games - which obviously could have been licensed - Front Line, was omitted.

Yeah, I know, same here, I've wanted to see Front Line by Taito and Turbo as well (also Carnival, Congo Bongo & SubRoc) that could have been an easy license because of the AtGames/Sega partnership, hopefully next time on a possible ColecoVision Flashback 2, I'd even pay extra for any complete collectable deluxe version...

With

Century II

Slither

Data East

Burgertime

Exidy

Mouse Trap

Victory

Konami

Roc 'n Rope

Midway

Gorf

Root Beer Tapper

Spy Hunter

Universal

Lady Bug

Mr. Do!

Venture Line

Looping

Edited by TrekkiELO

Very small CV setup

post-11933-0-10979900-1410210709.jpg

One thing I'm wondering about this system, is the title screen appears to be too close to the boarders of the screen not to get chopped off on CRT TVs. Most vintage CRT-TV models have more overscan than newer LCD tech. With the exception of certain vintage monitors, the overscan is non-adjustable so game makers adjusted their games to display all pertinent info in the "safe" zones. Does the picture in the actual games appear at the same size and position onscreen in both the Flashback and the original console models? I wouldn't want the actual games getting cropped on a CRT set.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know, same here, I've wanted to see Front Line by Taito and Turbo as well (also Carnival, Congo Bongo & SubRoc) that could have been an easy license because of the AtGames/Sega partnership, hopefully next time on a possible ColecoVision Flashback 2, I'd even pay extra for any complete collectable deluxe version...

I don't know why Carnival, Congo Bongo, and Subroc weren't on there, but the only reason why Turbo wasn't on there was because of the lack of a driving controller (though I'm sure like with Destructor, the standard controller hack could be used). The Super Action games were also working, but obviously didn't have all of their functions due to the lack of Super Action Controllers. In any case, additional games are being investigated for both digital and future physical products across the line.

• Like 1

One thing I'm wondering about this system, is the title screen appears to be too close to the boarders of the screen not to get chopped off on CRT TVs. Most vintage CRT-TV models have more overscan than newer LCD tech. With the exception of certain vintage monitors, the overscan is non-adjustable so game makers adjusted their games to display all pertinent info in the "safe" zones. Does the picture in the actual games appear at the same size and position onscreen in both the Flashback and the original console models? I wouldn't want the actual games getting cropped on a CRT set.

The output varies by display type. Of the three consoles, I find the text on the ColecoVision Flashback the most unreadable on anything except a CRT TV (not even my Commodore 1084S does a good job). In any case, I noticed no unusual cropping on the three display types I tried it on. Your mileage may vary.