IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

"Back in the day," only one of my friends had a ColecoVision, and I think I only ever used it once. I've played a few games in emulation, and am considering getting my hands on one of these. What's the 61st game, and is it a deal-breaker? There's a Family Dollar within walking distance of where I live, just may check this out tomorrow.

Are these well-made? The only other Flashback I have is the FB2, and my joysticks didn't last long, luckily I had a bunch of original sticks to use once the ones that came with it broke. Can I expect the sticks in this to last, or are pieces likely to break off after a few months...?

"Back in the day," only one of my friends had a ColecoVision, and I think I only ever used it once. I've played a few games in emulation, and am considering getting my hands on one of these. What's the 61st game, and is it a deal-breaker? There's a Family Dollar within walking distance of where I live, just may check this out tomorrow.

Are these well-made? The only other Flashback I have is the FB2, and my joysticks didn't last long, luckily I had a bunch of original sticks to use once the ones that came with it broke. Can I expect the sticks in this to last, or are pieces likely to break off after a few months...?

61 game is antarctic adventure.it is a pretty good game a lot of people like it. I don't think family dollar is the one with 61 games, dollar general is.

They just came out so nobody is going to know if they are going to fall apart yet, if you would have read through the posts you would have gotten a full report of how the sound is not good and the emulation is poor for today's standards of perfection that we have seen these days.

It's disappointing that they wouldn't they build a rudimentary way to update the firmware in this to fix issues like the Heist, etc., especially given the clear lack of willingness to do good QC testing on the final product. Of course, that also would allow for some excellent unsupported hacking opportunities, too.

The original design of the Coleco Hand Controller ...

Thanks for that, I love info like that.

Feeling humbled by meeting Matt of F18A chip fame on the same day as posting my controller complaint (bizarro small world?) I have reverse-engineered the new controller, posted here: http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/12070-coleco-flashback-controller-csi/

That's half the battle, now I need to do the same for the original controller, hopefully someone has already done that and posted it somewhere.

The good news is that the flashback controller only uses four analog lines, so a microcontroller translator dongle should be a piece-of-cake (assuming the original controllor port supplies some power.)

The original design of the Coleco Hand Controller included a spinner wheel built-in under the keypad...

...and finally the Spinner circuit complete with components (right).

Stupid question, but has anyone hacked a spinner into a controller? If you have the traces on a lot of boards, it doesn't look like much more is needed. A couple of extra diodes and whatever is on top? Not that there's much point if it just behaves like the SAC spinner...

Pardon the side-trak, but I was immediately intrigued to ask the same thing! Is there a write-up on how to do this? From the pics, it appears that you (or whomever) have installed the two reed switches (to controller the spinner action), and two identical resistors (or are they diodes?) toward the lower left of the reeds.

Is this the simple configuration that would be needed? I've always wanted to experiment with this, but it would be great if someone has performed the mod already!

go to http://www.colecovision.dk/technical.htm, I think you will find the original used 7 lines whereas the new Flashback uses 9 lines. Looks like they are doing some of the "interpretation" of the keyboard input within the flashback and not in the controller like the original (using diodes).

Been playing around with this myself already :)

• Like 1

Yay, got me one! Couldn't wait for the DG units, if it's true they're gonna be another month or two, and I don't know anyone here who has a Sam's Club card, so just got one at TRU. Half dozen on the shelves, plus the INTV and Sega units.

The CVFB box are is.. amusing. I love how they used the Xonox double ender art for Tomarc. A few other things like that made me chuckle. We'll open it up for some mad Pepper II action after the Royals decide whether or not I have anything to do tomorrow :D

• Like 1

Pardon the side-trak, but I was immediately intrigued to ask the same thing! Is there a write-up on how to do this? From the pics, it appears that you (or whomever) have installed the two reed switches (to controller the spinner action), and two identical resistors (or are they diodes?) toward the lower left of the reeds.

Is this the simple configuration that would be needed? I've always wanted to experiment with this, but it would be great if someone has performed the mod already!

Thread sidetracking continues.... :P

The pic of the three HC PCBs were, IIRC, provided by Yurkie a couple years ago. Following are some pics (sorry they are not better, but I don't have time right now to open the controller up to take better pics) of the HC with Spinner Wheel that I own.

BTW, there was no user modification made to it or the PCB in the other post.

post-25956-0-15859200-1412554246_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-70201900-1412554253_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-17990300-1412554264_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-31812400-1412554272_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-78570000-1412554288_thumb.jpg

None at DG around me. TRU had 3 left. Two had outer box damage and the third had the seal broken and looked like it had been returned. So I passed. Good idea or bad?

Was the seal really broken (cut with a knife), or had it just come unstuck? They used simple clear circular stickers to close these, nothing special at all, and they come unstuck very easily from the glossy cardboard box. You can look inside to make sure everything is in there -- and it will looking everything was just thrown in, even if sealed tight. Little console, 2 controllers, AC adapter, a few overlays, instruction book. That's it!

Was the seal really broken (cut with a knife), or had it just come unstuck? They used simple clear circular stickers to close these, nothing special at all, and they come unstuck very easily from the glossy cardboard box. You can look inside to make sure everything is in there -- and it will looking everything was just thrown in, even if sealed tight. Little console, 2 controllers, AC adapter, a few overlays, instruction book. That's it!

The seal was detached from the bottom and had what looked like fibers or stuff stuck to it. Don't know if it came unglued or how it came off. Wasn't cut open.

I checked my local TRU and on most of the flashback units the clear circular sticker was detached from one side of the box. I didn't really pay attention to the ones I purchased when they first came out but I didn't have to cut them to get them open.

As Flojo said I would check for completeness and purchase.

I checked my local TRU and on most of the flashback units the clear circular sticker was detached from one side of the box. I didn't really pay attention to the ones I purchased when they first came out but I didn't have to cut them to get them open.

As Flojo said I would check for completeness and purchase.

They were all like that on every single unit at my TRU. On the INTV, Coleco, Atari and Sega units. I think the glue they used on the stickers just wan't very strong. I found no indication that any of the ones I bought had been actually opened, as I checke before I left the store. Obviously, I'd recommend doing the same!