IGNORED

ATR8000

Bill Lange

I thought that MyDos 3.18 was the ATR8000 Dos of choice for this.

attachicon.gifMyDOS 3.18 - ATR8000-RS232 version.atr

Or was this just for the Serial enhancement's

MyDOS for the ATR8000 shipped in the form of "builder" disks. From the menu you choose whether to have RS232 support. From then on (for that session) whenever you write DOS files to a disk you are getting the flavor that you just built. There was a different version number dependiing on wheher you added the RS232 support, e.g. 3.014 (without support), 3.19 (with support). These from the same master. I don't know why the number scheme was not coordinated.

-SteveS

p.s. MyDOS was not the original DOS that was available with the ATR8000. I believe OSS's OS/A+ was.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

We could only dream about ATR8000's in Europe in those days....then again...I didn't see much use for it, CP/M didn't interest me in those days...

I did read about them in US magazines but that was it....

The ATR8000 was an expensive piece of gear for sure. However, if configured as a two drive system and comparing its cost to say an 850 interface plus two 810s or later in time to two 1050s the ATR8000 system was priced favorably.

If one wanted to save money there was the 16K version of the ATR8000. CP/M can't run in 16K but like you not all people had the need. I believe the 16K model was 1/3 less expensive than the 64K model.

-SteveS

• Like 2

Mmm yeah, I remember the 850 being very expensive at first, if you could find them at all here. Then all of a sudden they were only 150 Dutch guilders at my local Atari shop (Telekoder in Rotterdam). I guess that was something like 50 dollars BITD. So I picked one up right away. My dad arranged a C.Itoh 8510 dot matrix printer from work that was not being used anymore and I struggled for an entire evening to get it to work. Finally I gave up and kind of annoyed slammed the lid (which I had removed to see if the printer head was doing anything) back on the printer and there it went off printing like nuts :):):)

I hadn't figured out that there was a switch that put the printer off-line under that lid !!! LOL....another lesson learned.

Awesome quality that thing, I never saw a matrix printer that produced blacks like this one did :) kept it until I got a Star NL10. I think the C.Itoh was the best built printer I ever had.

Anyway back on topic, didn't realize the ATR was already around at the 810 days so yeah I know the 810s were very expensive too.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Well today I played with my ATR8000 for the first time ever. Have had it 7-8 years. It works! It's the one Larry traded for a 1200xl :)

I've been able to get a standard 360k 5.25 floppy drive and a 720k 3.5 floppy drive both able to boot the Atari in MyDOS 3.18. Formatted ok.. wrote DOS files etc..

Sweet! Pretty solid I guess after all these years.

• 2 years later...

I never said it was a release version, or who may have created it.

The fact that it exists on a ROM makes it a "ROM version", right?

true. I don't see any evidence of an actual cart. In case you know something more.

Maybe someone (since the source is available) converted the disk to cart as a personal project.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one on EBay for 300$, but even with the exchange rate improved(recovered?) I think I'll pass and stick to modern storage and use the Indus if I absolutely need CP/M.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SWP-Microcomputer-Products-ATR8000-Atari-400-800-CP-M-Computer-Add-On-W-Drive/182733339542

Wow. I see it actually sold for $300. Man I regret dropping mine off at an electronics recycler 10 years ago!!!

The reason I mentioned "cartridge" is to specify what type the ROM file targets.

12 or more years ago someone mentioned this cart to me. This was the first I had heard of it. I remember being amazed that the procedure for using it is boot machine with the cartridge then yank the cartridge out of the slot.

Video61 sells a MyDOS cartridge. I don't know if it's the same one being discussed here. I also don't know if the MyDOS cartridge originates with Video61 or they sell a repro.

Edited by a8isa1