IGNORED

Venture Official Release

Goochman

Pete,

I'll say it again, I LOVE your work, the games are EXCELLENT, I don't own Tempest Extreem but I will one day when I have the spare cash but unsaddle yourself from the Master of the Dark Side known as Evil Sal, anyone that has been on here for many years knows the ultimate hypocrisy of Sal calling people pirates / untrustworthy (games being sold as carts that had no permission and orders just being ignored).

For a while he was literally cast out by the community and it was silly old me that got him to come back.

This isn't meant to rake over the coals its merely to point out that Sal isn't the saint he pretends to be and has NO RIGHT to prejudge people, NO RIGHT AT ALL!

Don't get caught up in his world Pete, one day have a good long sit down and really think about the various selling avenues and you decide if you are losing possible simple cash over a rather out dated mentality that cartridge means safe, pretty much any software produced these days ends up dumped by someone, the difference is if its spread and as I've said loads of times I've never seen any commercial titles from you ANY WHERE, I can honestly say with my hand on my heart the only Tempest Extreem I have is the demo YOU released. After all this time don't you think it would have 'done the rounds'?

I am not asking for a response but simply for you to PLEASE give it a thought..

When people are begging to give you money for a non physical product costing literally NOTHING to sell and you are saying no then I'd start to call the men in white coats to give you a check up.

If people had wanted your products out there in the piracy scene then they would have been a day after release.....Its as simple as that...

• Like 1

By the way we are not alone with glitches with games on cartridges. I remember some Atari 2600, NES, and Sega Genesis games having a glitch in them. Any software could be out for years before a glitch is discovered, does not matter which medium is used. A DVD Rom on a modern game system cannot be patch or updated either.

Exactly and that is why you and your crew are going to learn from that hideous practice and do it better right? Not to repeat it.

Well technically as Petey knows a DVD / Blu ray released can and is often patched on the newer consoles that have HD's, obviously not physically but an update can be had and any bugged fixed so the end user is happy.

Citing out dated tech as a reason to keep the process in the stone age is never a good thing.

I do. Not in terms of gameplay, but beta testing. Venture crashes on PAL/SECAM machines - thankfully I recently received a fixed image I can now burn to my original cart.

How recently is recently… and does this mean that customers of the cart can expect a downloadable fix?

This is going to be a weird subject.

I am specifically trying to get more information about what is going on with the game running on PAL. Video 61 had several sales outside the United States into Europe. If there was a serious problem, all of them would had reported something long ago. So far only two people suggested something is going on. I know it was the Williams version of the game. Still did not get any feedback about the 16K version having an issue running on Pal. Venture was tested for months before the cartridge went up for sale last year.

And what good would such a bug report be as the owner will not get a bug fixed digital image from you anyway? Paying international shipping costs twice more for the same game does not seem very attractive.

Instead, I described the bug to someone I considered capable of fixing it, a friend sent him a dump of the cart and I recently received a bug fixed image.

• Like 4

Is it possible someone got a hold of an earlier beta version and claiming it came from Atari Sales or Atlantis Games Group. In that case we will not support them. If they fixed a bug, I would like to know the details of what they did. It also seems the problems are specific to the Williams Cartridge version because everyone receiving the newer cheaper 16K compressed version had not reported any problems.

And what good would such a bug report be as the owner will not get a bug fixed digital image from you anyway? Paying international shipping costs twice more for the same game does not seem very attractive.

Instead, I described the bug to someone I considered capable of fixing it, a friend sent him a dump of the cart and I recently received a bug fixed image.

If someone has a defective cartridge, they should contact Atari Sales and see what kind of arrangements Video 61 can do.

Is it possible someone got a hold of an earlier beta version and claiming it came from Atari Sales or Atlantis Games Group. In that case we will not support them. If they fixed a bug, I would like to know the details of what they did. It also seems the problems are specific to the Williams Cartridge version because everyone receiving the newer cheaper 16K compressed version had not reported any problems.

If someone has a defective cartridge, they should contact Atari Sales and see what kind of arrangements Video 61 can do.

Since you let people in the past do beta-testing, why not adding me afterwards to that team? Still willing to help. Still willing to pay. Still willing to sign a do-not-spread-document! I could test this on real hardware, with a 100% compatible cartridge, and I will bring you the most detailed beta-test-report you've ever had.

Think out of the box.

Sometimes I got the feeling it is more a matter of pride that you do not want to give in...

It's up to you. If you want to test this, and be 100% sure your product is fine, you let it test again (hopefully by me)

Please?

So, Customs has no fault. A friend has it brought us (Thorsten and me) from the United States. As seen in the photo, the board is too big for the body. The housing can not be closed.

Schief01

On the Fujiama I had made a backup of the module. It's not Williams 32K, 16K and no ROM image. It is a ... (dare I say?). See photo emulator.

Emuvent

An Atari programmers looked at the file, and patched it for PAL.
This ROM image now runs flawlessly (on real hardware) to PAL and NTSC.
I've seen it on The! Cart written for testing. It also write to the "original" module;-)

Cart01

People do not ask me for an image dump. Who bought venture, it can save yourself.

Edited by Yellowman
  • Like 4

So, Customs has no fault. A friend has it brought us (Thorsten and me) from the United States. As seen in the photo, the board is too big for the body. The housing can not be closed.

On the Fujiama I had made a backup of the module. It's not Williams 32K, 16K and no ROM image. It is a ... (dare I say?). See photo emulator.

An Atari programmers looked at the file, and patched it for PAL.

This ROM image now runs flawlessly (on real hardware) to PAL and NTSC.

I've seen it on The! Cart written for testing. It also write to the "original" module;-)

People do not ask me for an image dump. Who bought venture, it can save yourself.

Your images are not visible… why is that?

We can have the USS Enterprise on Yellowmans desktop to beam the update cartridges over to Europe.

The only thing I can figure out from the photos is it is running on an XL/XE OS from a Williams Cartridge.

In that case... why not using:

Can probably used for binary files too....

300 bps is fast...

this solution is 1 bps!

I was one of the first buyers of Venture.

On my PAL machine I found a bug: after clearing all the treasures, level seven rooms were solid and all I could do was die.

The first reply from Video 61 was: "Its hard to get a bug free piece of software".

Luckily Sal wrote on AtariAge that the 5 venture carts that were sold were not supposed to be sold at all and there was some miscommunication with Video 61; so I was allowed to return the cart and exchange it with other items.

Apparently he's emulating a XL PAL + VBXE with 320K in compyshop mode

post-36731-0-46777500-1417976908_thumb.png

From what he says it seems ha was able to dump it (and it was not a 32K or 16K ROM, so likely an EPROM?) have it patched, loaded it on "The! Cart", tested it on real HW (PAL and NTSC) and finally written it back on the original "module" (EPROM? inside the cart).

It's also possible there was a way to auto xex it, so maybe that is what he's referring to? Dunno, enigmatic writing paired with basic English gets complicated.

What version it was, how long the file was etc... we do not know, the fact that it may have been on an EPROM does not invalidate that it may run on a Williams PCB like board or that it is 32K or 16K .... anyway.

He asked if he should dare say, I think at this point he should.

The main point is that obviously Venture has already been dumped, patched and made runnable on other media other than the intended one, denying digital downloads to prospect buyers seems odd at this stage, unless the author signed a weird distribution contract ... but anyway ... moving on.

Edited by phoenixdownita

"The first reply from Video 61 was: "Its hard to get a bug free piece of software"." V61 grrrrr why be like that.... (can't we just repair or replace the defective good like the rest of the world?)

Sal is weird that way too (piracy paranoia)...

and that hardware guy (can code no wrong/only good product is his)....

Holy Trinity within that group of strange outlooks towards products and software...

We should be humbled

as they spit their gum upon the ground and tell us to dive for it.... be glad for the dirty pre-chewed gum... for it is blessed by our spit..

It is hard to get a non dirty piece of our spit out gum..... it is not our fault and we shall abide none...

I have never seen anything like it anywhere else in business. 99.999% of the community is not like this. For that I am glad and optimistic...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

V61 grrrrrr why is it like that....

Sal is weird that way too...

and that hardware guy....

The Holy Trinity...

as they spit their gum upon the ground and tell us to dive for it.... be glad for the dirty pre-chewed gum... for it is blessed by our spit..

It is hard to get a non dirty piece of our spit out gum..... Therefore it is not our fault and we shall abide none...

I have never seen anything like it anywhere else in business. 99.999% of the community is not like this. For that I am glad and optimistic there is hope...

I really have no idea what I've just read!

I'm not going to ask you for the dump but I'd love to know how you dumped it and how it was PAL fixed please..

The reason is I have a PAL system and if there is a Bug on it for PAL them I'm going to get clobbered by it when I'm good enough at the game..

And proof I own the game..

post-13027-0-05274800-1417981708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

Oh my….

Earlier today I received an invitation from Peter Meyer to ask my friends Drac030, FJC and Jac, to 'prove' I did beta-test work for them. I was asked to let those three people send a confirmation to Video61, Sal and Peter Meyer. Like some kind of references. I offered my help to beta test the game again on real hardware, and like I wrote here, I was willing to sign some official paperwork.

I did ask my friends, and Drac030 answered almost instantly.

All of the sudden was there Salvador Esquivel with his very constructive reply:

The answer is No. End of discussion.

- Sal

Well sorry Peter Meyer and Video61. It took some time, but now I'm done with it. I will NEVER buy this game. Even when it is fixed.

It's obviously Sal's hobby to scare of people. I really can't understand why Peter and Video61 ever decided to let Sal into this. This costs you all money. At least one customer less (me).

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 6