IGNORED

Colecovision and flashback controller difference

pimpmaul69

I thought i saw a discussion on this but doing a search brings up nothing. As far as pinouts and circuits what are the differences. I wanted to make a splitter for a colecovision flashback controller and an atari joystick. I thought i had seen somewhere that the flashback coleco had a chip in the controller. Any help is appreciated. And i apologize as im sure there is another topic on it.

Here are some pics of mine from my experiments (there is no chip in the flashback controller :) ). I was able to breadboard a controller to work. Keep in mind that the directional inputs need 1k resistance on each input.

Looking at the original coleco controller, you see tons of diodes and only 7 of the 9 ports being used in the plug. the flashback uses all 9 ports in the plug. the original coleco controller encoded the keyboard inputs in the controller then passed them out on the 7 pins to the coleco. The Flashback uses 9 pins to encoded the keyboard which is one of the major reasons the flashback controllers are not backwards compatible nor can a original controller plugged into the flashback.

I have considered on making a controller for my flashback, but dont really see the point. rather make one for my original colecovision and/or put a usb out on it for any emulator I want to use on the PC for the colecovision and such :)

post-8976-0-34614500-1420583712_thumb.jpgpost-8976-0-20773100-1420583713.jpgpost-8976-0-75622600-1420583725_thumb.jpgpost-8976-0-13806500-1420583751_thumb.jpgpost-8976-0-99943400-1420583773_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
10 hours ago, Caleb Garner said:

i didn't do any 1k resistance for those.

Ah i see 1k resistance for joystick only.. yikes yea they really did a number on making sure coleco fb isn't going to place nice with original system..  at least the intellivision was just re-arranging the wires..  bummer.  I was hoping it could be done easier.  thanks @thevnaguy for sharing your experiment!