IGNORED

The Celery Movie

atari2600land

I just started this project tonight. It's not a game, but a movie you sit and watch. I know it may sound weird, but listen. Right now, it's only 17 or so seconds long. But the good news is I have 2,449 bytes left if I keep it 4k. But I won't. I'm planning on making this a 32k program, so I can make it as long as possible. I had serious trouble here and I couldn't get the ending to the first scene right, but after working on it for a few hours (the thing wouldn't cooperate!), I finally got it the way I want it. Here's what the synopsis of the movie is. "Can the 50-foot-tall stalk of celery defeat the alien rabbits?" Yes, alien rabbits from the planet Neptune have invaded Earth... and they're hungry! Why am I doing this? I find it easier to do it this way than to draw!

celerymovie1.bas.bin

• Like 5

Added a third scene. I only have 79 bytes left, so for the fourth scene and afterwords, it's bankswitching time. I have discovered while programming this that animated 2600 movies are not viable, seeing as how 4k has gotten me only 50 or so seconds' worth of animation. Yet, I will finish this. I doubt though it will be very long. Even if I use 64k, it would be about 15 minutes or so, a little more than the length of an Adult Swim cartoon. Perhaps I will do episodes of the celery and call it "The Mr. Celery Show." Just a thought.

celerymovie5.bas.bin

I changed the colors a little bit. Can you see the celery's face better? Also, I don't know much about DPC+ at this point to fully delve into it. And if it was DPC+, it would be harder to make cartridges out of the program, something I would like to do if this gets finished. Is there any way to test a 64k ROM on real hardware yet?

celerymovie6a.bas.bin

I've never played those games, so I don't know what the controls are like. As for the replayability, don't you watch your favorite movie over and over again even though you know how it's going to end? Anyway, here's version 7, pushing the game to 8k and over 1 minute long.

celerymovie7.bas.bin

version 8. New scene added, the movie is now 90 seconds long. I think I'll just make it 7 and a half minutes long instead of 15. I don't know what the ending is, but I don't think Mr. Celery can wander around the spaceship forever. I moved scene 4 into the first bank, so I have 1,918 bytes left in the second bank. My plan is to make this a 32k program. Right now it's 8k, so I'd think I have enough room in a 32k cart to make it 7 and a half minutes long.

celerymovie8.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've resumed work on this. It's now a little under 2 minutes long now. Next scene will most likely make it be over 2 minutes long. I have a little over 600 bytes left in bank 2, so I should bump it up to 16k fairly soon. I was wondering if I should use the score as a VCR-type layout where it shows the minutes and seconds in length.

celerymovie10.bas.bin

For the beginning of scene 8, what I wanted to do was pan left from a sign that said "MARS" on it to the spaceship. I nearly went mad trying to figure out a way, but a simple redesign of the spaceship made it much easier to find the answer. The answer lays in when a pfblock is turned on and new playfield lines are drawn, the previous pfblocks STAY ON unless you turn them off. I tested this in my Harmony cart and the screen does not bounce around or act crazy, which is good. Nothing much has been added here, except the beginning to scene 8, and the spaceship redesign, and I increased the romsize to 16k. When I make it above 4k, all the playfields, player sprites and colors will be stored in the last bank no matter where you type them, right?

celerymovie12.bas.bin

Added a lot and fixed some stuff. The movie ends in this version when you see 10 rabbits jumping in unison. If you follow my blog, you'll see that I had made a couple more scenes. Right now, though, I'm going to take a small break from this since I don't feel like working on it for now. That and I don't know what's going to happen next, so I need to figure out how to fill the rest of the 4 minutes of the show. The link to the latest binary is in my signature now.

Edited by atari2600land

Despite my blog posting saying I would take a break from the celery movie, I went ahead and worked a little bit more on it. The ending of this version is NOT the end of the episode. Mr. Celery will never die! This version I posted here begins at scene 12. If you want it from the beginning, go to the Mr. Celery website in my signature.

celerymovie21.bas.bin

I had to fix the program for when it starts at the beginning, the King Rabbit was all messed up. I had to fix it, and he looks normal, but does this look normal?

playfield:
  .........................XX.....
  .....XX.................XXXX....
  ....XXXX................XXXX....
  ....XXXX................XXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXX...............XXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXX.............XXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXX............XXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXX............XXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXX.............XXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXX...............XXXXXXXX
end

Why would I have to fix it like this to make it look OK?