IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Technical question: on 2 Lynx systems I recently restored I noticed that power on initial rail is as high as 8V. A crappy zenor diode is used in the hopes of lowering power down to 5V but it does a poor job at that.

I was thinking of doing a 5V power regulator mod + lcd mod to my system. Where does this thing tap it's power and what voltage range should we test before we connect? In case zenor failed I don't want to kill lcd controller PCB.

Technical question: on 2 Lynx systems I recently restored I noticed that power on initial rail is as high as 8V. A crappy zenor diode is used in the hopes of lowering power down to 5V but it does a poor job at that.

I was thinking of doing a 5V power regulator mod + lcd mod to my system. Where does this thing tap it's power and what voltage range should we test before we connect? In case zenor failed I don't want to kill lcd controller PCB.

The absolute voltage should not go above 5.5 Volt! Cause of the faulty diode, the best is a power regulator!

Thanks again, McWill! It's so gorgeous and clear, it has renewed my old obsession with the Lynx. I'm now working to rebuild my collection to its former glory. (Some of you may remember me mentioning that I used to have EVERY Lynx game, including the Telegames and Songbird releases... but it was all stolen in 2004).

Tonight, I played farther in Scrapyard Dog than I've ever been before. I'd never made it past the 2nd stage, but tonight I got all the way to the City 4 stage (the one where you fly the vehicle in the sewer). This is really a great game with a LOT of secrets, hidden items, and warps! I think part of the reason it seemed so difficult in the past was the lack of clarity in the original screen.

Note:

BTW, does anyone have any of those black PCBs that take the PLCC PROMs? I'd like to transfer some of the green PCB EPROM games like Road Riot 4WD over to the nicer black ones for my collection. If anyone has a handful of those boards they wouldn't mind selling, please contact me.

So the next upgrade could be to add a mini USB socket for power. USB 2 should provide 1A which is enough for the Lynx.

Then we just need an external joystick connector. Perhaps a 10-pin ribbon cable connector on the Lynx and 2 connectors on the Joystick (one normal and one "rotated")?

1 - Up (or Right)

2 - Down (or Left)

3 - Left (or Up)

4 - Right (or Down)

5 - Pause

6 - Opt1

7 - Opt2

8 - A

9 - B

10 - Common (to +5V)

I got one of these cheap consoles some years ago from Toys'R'Us. It would have room for an extra PAUSE button and 2 connectors.

post-2099-0-02571000-1424855622_thumb.jpg

--

Karri

I'm strongly considering putting a DB-25 connector on the back of my Lynx (space allowing) and running my VGA and controller signals to that. The connector which it docks to would then split to the monitor and controller. When my LCD/VGA kit arrives I'm going to see if this is feasible. I've already got the controller logic planned out. Just waiting on parts for that.

Edited by Emehr

What gauge wire did you use? Solid or stranded? Any tips? Mine is sitting there begging me to do it.

I used a CAT5 network cable, I've been cutting one long one up for ages for projects. Gives a nice supply of colored wire, it's stranded 24AWG I believe.

Tips? I'd say plan on where and how you want to route the cables ahead of time (which is why my VGA wires head right off to the left, and a careful steady pace. And double check everything. :)

Other than that things like the usual soldering checklist - proper size and wattage iron, proper solder etc.

So 15w iron? I have been soldering for quite awhile, but am not the neatest always, so am trying to prepare in advance. Suggestions for cutting the case for the VGA port?

Thanks

I used a small 15W iron with 63/37 solder. I initially was going to attack the case with a Dremel but the angles for cutting (given the Dremel tool shaft limitations) weren't ideal. I used a very sharp utility blade to shave away at the case a little bit at a time until I had the correct depth.

I left the lower case half untouched and cut into the top case half a little bit at a time repeatedly checking the depth with the VGA connector. The VGA connector shafts are at a bit of an odd angle each (partly because of where the case curves) so I can't actually screw a VGA cable to them properly, but I have a thin lightweight VGA cable that holds itself connected just fine. I may go back at some point and straighten them out a bit.

I like to have a variable temp station, better control. I got one from Radio Shack last year: http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-digital-soldering-station/6400053.html they were on sale $20 off and I had a coupon $40 off any one soldering iron in stock so I paid about as much as a cheap one :D Mostly it's set to 320°C for regular work and I have 2 buttons set for other temps, one at 150 for when I need a short break but don't want to shut it off.

I also have a spool of 20 conductor ribbon cable that I got off eBay for only $20 oh about a decade ago. It was originally 500 feet and still has a lot left. It's probably worth more as scrap copper by now if I burned off all the plastic but I'll keep it as I always need nice ribbon cable.

Edited by 7800fan

McWill,

I finally had time to install the LCD mod. I had never soldered or de-soldered before, but with your clear instructions it was easy (and a bit of YouTube).

Thanks for the great mod, the games all look awesome!

That was your first soldering experience!!

:-o

That was your first soldering experience!!

:-o

Papa,

Yeah it was, I had been working up the courage and watching YouTube videos for almost two weeks, then decided to jump right in.

It was an experience to say the least, I only burned myself once

I have not stopped playing the Lynx since, awesome Mod

I bought the screen thinking I could install it (actually have somebody else install it) on my old Lynx that the screen stopped working on. I go out my old Lynx to get everything ready and when I checked it I discovered that there was more wrong with the Lynx than just the screen. When I plug in a power source the Lynx automatically comes on and does not turn off until I unplug the power source. The power buttons have no function at all. Now I am worried that this Lynx will not be fixed by replacing the screen.

Anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong and if there is any hope of salvaging my Lynx? My working Lynx is a Lynx I so I cannot use that one for the mod.

I am eagerly awaiting my kit - I too recommend a good temp controlled soldering station. Lower wattage irons are fine until you come across a larger gauge wire, or a point with large area of heatsink such as a large ground plane.

I have a Hakko FX-888D, can't recommend it enough. So much easier to solder with a good iron and correct tip.

Dilemma I have (and it's a dilemma that's actually good to have, really) is that the two Lynx II's I have are minty - they were NOS I picked up some years ago. I would feel really bad modifying them. I'm going to have to track down another unit to perform the mod... I'd really prefer to bring back a Lynx with dead screen that plays blind rather than hacking up a minty one.

- J

And so it begins:

6CeDbO.jpg

A little farther down the line:

So you only put a cable on pin 7 for ground? The directions seem to imply that you should be connecting 8 wires to the VGA port, but there are only 6 connections. Does it matter which one of those to use 6, 7, or 8?

My $0.02 tips:

- use only ide cable wire (28awg) as multi strand wire is better than solid core for this application.

- use 60/40 solder. Anything else has too much tin and harder to work with / get professional looking thruhole solder points.

- test you Lynx power using multimeter before install. Don't want to feed 8v into lcd PCB and toast it. Lynx is cheap. This board is not.