IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

It's exciting to think that we finally get to enjoy what us Lynx owners have been dreaming about since the 90s. I remember hearing about the Wizztronics hardware that was supposed to let you play Lynx games on a TV. That kinda faded away. I don't remember what the magazines back then used but I remember EGM complaining when Atari took their's away. Suddenly, just this past year or so, we have three individuals who have devised their own solutions. Not just being able to play on an external screen, but having an improved internal LCD as well! Plus, we've got SainT who is working on a multi-cart.

My LCD/VGA kit is on its way and I can't wait to start my own project. Big thanks to all involved in the Lynx scene, hardware and software. It's a great time to be a Lynx fan!

It is a little too compressed to be readable.

The smallest readable font I have seen is the Atari font. This was copied by me from some Atari screenshots a few years ago.

attachicon.gifAtariFont.png

Actually, in the past, I found it quite readable. At least it allows to show all Mikey or Suzy registers on one screen.

But I cannot try it at the moment myself, as all the USB<->RS232 dongles I have won't work with my RS232<->ComLynx adapter.

Actually, in the past, I found it quite readable. At least it allows to show all Mikey or Suzy registers on one screen.

But I cannot try it at the moment myself, as all the USB<->RS232 dongles I have won't work with my RS232<->ComLynx adapter.

post-2099-0-10038800-1425573582_thumb.jpg post-2099-0-74173400-1425576087_thumb.jpg

A photo from the new LCD screen. I still cannot read it. A greyscale modified image is not much better.

post-2099-0-53147100-1425573967_thumb.jpg

On my Lynx 1 I can read it.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Is this also designed for using the Lynx original slow display like the high color pics?

I wonder if the issues with such tricks can't be worked around by adjusting the the flicker... I mean, as I understand it that stuff is shown of the old screen by quickly changing pixels faster than the screen can actually display.

Maybe if the picture would be changed with the frequency the new screen rerfreshes in mind the same or a similar effect could be achieved?

Edited by 108 Stars

Is this also designed for using the Lynx original slow display like the high color pics?

I wonder if the issues with such tricks can't be worked around by adjusting the the flicker... I mean, as I understand it that stuff is shown of the old screen by quickly changing pixels faster than the screen can actually display.

Maybe if the picture would be changed with the frequency the new screen rerfreshes in mind the same or a similar effect could be achieved?

Not really. The idea here seems to be that the color pixels on the original Lynx are next to each other as three columns. So instead of 160 by 102 pixels you have 480 by 102 pixels.

Perhaps the LCD has the physical pixels arranged differently.

My kit arrived yesterday and it is up and running. Am really pleased with it.

However, I am *really* annoyed with myself. During soldering, I accidentally let a blob of whot solder land on the underside of my Lynx II transparent plastic screen cover (part of the main lid.)

So now I have an amazing LCD screen with a blob of solder/marked plastic on the transparent cover sitting in front of it.

Does anyone have a spare plastic screen or Lynx II top lid they could spare? So frustrating!

Mine has been sitting in Germany for a few weeks now. It's incredible what DHL does over there.

Are you sure it is not just that tracking is not accurate? I've had it in the past that stuff arrived at my doorstep that had been in its original country the day before according to tracking...

Are you sure it is not just that tracking is not accurate? I've had it in the past that stuff arrived at my doorstep that had been in its original country the day before according to tracking...

Anything is possible, but it hasn't arrived yet and the tracking hasn't changed to show anything arriving in this country.