IGNORED

My first project - Runner (WIP)

bomdiavermes

Hi there! Let me introduce myself.

My name is Daniel. I'm a brazilian graphic designer, digital artist and web and mobile designer. I have some basic experience with C/C++ and Java, and used to play a lot with Basic when I was a kid with my good ol' MSX I got for christmas.

That said, please forgive my bad english skills (everything I know I got from reading books and watching movies).

So, this is my first Atari 2600 project. I'm a 2600 enthusiast, and found AA when I was collecting info on 2600 games for my collection a few months ago. At the forums I found out this homebrewing community and since then realized I really needed to create my own 2600 game.

My initial plan is to make a runner kinda like Bit.Trip Runner, respecting the 2600's limitations of course (and perhaps bending a little bit those limits :) ) I have no clue if it is possible to do, for I started to mess around with bB only a few days ago.

The player for this game will look like a skeleton, as you'll see on the first screenshot. The level design should use a lot of white, black and gray tones for an eerie feeling, with occasional colors to make impact (I really like Frank Miller's Sin City comics, just so you know what I'm talking about).

This is my first take at the player.

fQNJ1ujl.jpg

I'm using Atarius Maximus's samples as reference for the coding. Atarius's playfield example is still there since I'm messing around with those snippets and only implemented player's movement and sprite animation. You can check the first .bin at the end of the post.

I know that there's almost nothing to see here, but it means a lot to me. Hopefully I'll update this post regularly. If you're an old timer on bB, I'll appreciate your comments. If you're a newbie like me, feel free to ask me how I did this or that. We'll learn together!

Keep on rockin'!

char.bas.bin

Edited by bomdiavermes
  • Like 2

Thank you Mountain King! Did you ckecked the .bin? Does the sprite animation looks alright? Like I said, this is my first try with dB so probably the first versions of this project will be more testing than anything else. Right now I'm looking at RT's fake gravity topic for a good jumping code. As soon as I manage to get the jumping part working I'll move to the scenario (platforms and obstacles).

Thanks! Oh, maybe you didn't realized but I updated the bin yesterday, it is supposed to flip when you go to the left.

There is a little example program on the bB page that shows you one way to flip a sprite and keep it facing that direction:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#refp

• Like 1

Thanks for the info RT! I'll check it later today as soon as I finish some other business (I run an online t-shirt store). I'm planning to get into your (excelent btw) article on fake gravity today as well. I implemented yesterday a jumping routine of my own, but it looks very buggy so I didn't updated the bin with the jumping stuff.

• 2 years later...