IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Have you some pictures to post?

Direct capture doesn't do a good job of representing what the small scanlines look like, but the larger ones appear similar to how they are on the external monitor.

UrXp3e.png

Mine has been sitting in Germany for a few weeks now. It's incredible what DHL does over there.

DHL is my most despised delivery company. My package sat for around a month or so with no update on their site, then suddenly appeared at the door. It still doesn't show as delivered in their tracking...

• Like 1

Is this also designed for using the Lynx original slow display like the high color pics?

I wonder if the issues with such tricks can't be worked around by adjusting the the flicker... I mean, as I understand it that stuff is shown of the old screen by quickly changing pixels faster than the screen can actually display.

Maybe if the picture would be changed with the frequency the new screen rerfreshes in mind the same or a similar effect could be achieved?

IIRC the high-color mode uses 76Hz refresh and changes the palette/picture every cycle. The bar you see comes from the different refresh the replacement LCD has.

I wonder if the FPGA can be updated to cope with this.

Regarding "microfont": Yes it uses the fact that the pixels are big and organized on in strips. I guess the "new LCD" does the same. But maybe different order (GBR vs RGB) and of course the FPGA interprets the incoming color info as for _one_ pixel not three singe ones.

The font is 6 by 5.

Colors (GBR):

; 000 100 010 110 001 101 011 111

DP 000,00F,F00,F0F,0F0,0FF,FF0,FFF

_000 equ 0 = black

_100 equ 1 = red

_010 equ 2 = green

_110 equ 3 = yellow

_001 equ 4 = blue

_101 equ 5 = magenta

_011 equ 6 = cyan

_111 equ 7 = white

A is for example:

011000 => cyan black

100100 => red red

111100 => white red

100100 => red red

100100 => red red

Since the the FPGA (or what ever, I haven't seen any technical details, how the new LCD works), doubles each pixel, it produces only rubbish.

A 1:1 mode would be nice, best centered.

So, I'll wait for version 2 of the LCD :-)

Edited by 42bs

On a seperate note, I did wonder if we could introduce scanline generation with a hardware hack. Not sure if there's a hsync and vsync going to the screen which could easily be used to pull rgb low on alternate lines. It works on VGA out because I've tried it. Looking at a datasheet for a screen from the same family I see vsync out, but no hsync. Possibly totally digital as well, so no seperate R, G, B lines to pull low. At least it still works on VGA. Looks better with scanlines imo.

McWil, any chance you could look at supporting scanlines in the next revision? I don't mind buying another ;) I am sure it's pretty simple to implement.

Edited by GadgetUK

I am quite surprised because I have always thought DHL was an especially good service internationally. This is how the advertisements can brainwash you.^^

It is not really DHL overnight delivery that costs a fortune. In Germany the DHL and post office seem to be joined up somehow. The DHL shipment was delivered to me through Itella as ordinary mail.

In my case they sent it to the wrong suburb which took a few extra days. Tracking numbers were shared between DHL and Itella (post).

But in the US you also have customs in between that takes time.

On a seperate note, I did wonder if we could introduce scanline generation with a hardware hack. Not sure if there's a hsync and vsync going to the screen which could easily be used to pull rgb low on alternate lines. It works on VGA out because I've tried it. Looking at a datasheet for a screen from the same family I see vsync out, but no hsync. Possibly totally digital as well, so no seperate R, G, B lines to pull low. At least it still works on VGA. Looks better with scanlines imo.

McWill, any chance you could look at supporting scanlines in the next revision? I don't mind buying another ;) I am sure it's pretty simple to implement.

I already made tests with scanline mode. Indeed it was very simple to implement and it really looks like the original, but the space in the CPLD is limited. I'll make new tests and inform you!

• Like 3

But in the US you also have customs in between that takes time.

9 out of 10 times it only takes a few days in customs. If the item is not illegal, not marked high value (I think $10,000 and up), and is not from or to suspected source/destination of illegal activities like drug dealer and nothing unusual shows up in quick X-ray, they go through.

One good thing about USA customs, I have never been hit with tax. I figure I imported over $25,000 worth of goods from eBay and other direct forum member to member sales and not once needed to pay any extra,

Modded my Lynx II with this mod. All went well! AMAZING image quality! My son did all the soldering (he does it for a job, he’s very skilled). It took us two sessions: 1,5 and 2 hours, so 3,5 hours in total. Desoldering is a bit tricky, soldering was easy, but getting the VGA connector mounted was the most difficult part actually: filing -> dust everywhere. The plastic dust was also behind the screen inside the casing, we had to remove the front to get rid of all the dust.

Please note, there is a small error in the install guide: the VGA connector is shown as 'inside' and 'outside', but the image isn't mirrored as it should be. Just take a good look at the pin numbers, then you'll do fine.

McWill, thanks for this high quality mod! Very well done.

Bluemonday: I have spare Lynx II transparent plastic screen cover, you may have it for just the shipping costs. Send me a PM please.

Edited by Insert Coin

Please note, there is a small error in the install guide: the VGA connector is shown as 'inside' and 'outside', but the image isn't mirrored as it should be. Just take a good look at the pin numbers, then you'll do fine.

Thanks for info. I already changed the installation guide ;) .

• Like 1

Scanlines would be an excellent feature as long as they remain something we can disable. I love playing my Lynx now more than ever... and that's really saying a lot. I initially bought 2 of these screens, one for me and one for my brother's Lynx, but I now want to purchase a 3rd and get a Lynx for my fiance (soon to be wife) so we can Lynx-Up! ;)

Do you think the scanline option is something that will be implemented in the near future? I'd like to know so I can decide whether I should wait a bit, or go ahead and buy another screen now.

Personally, I prefer no scanlines, but...

How about a mode using the increased resolution of the LCD, with pixels made up of the same red, green and blue sub-pixel elements (with or without black separations), like the original display? This would allow the hires font to work, which exploits how the LCD colours are displayed.

Edited by HunterZero

@ KevinMos3

I already made some tests with scanlines, but the CPLD has limited space. I try to solve this problem.
The LYNX-II mod is out of stock at present. But will be available again begin of April.

@ HunterZero

The resolution of the new LCD is 320 x 240. I will try to make some tests with hires font,

• Like 1

I received my screen today (sent payment on 2/23) - that's pretty fast turnaround. I hope to have the time to install it soon. I'll post my results when I get it running.

I ordered mine on 2/24 and DHL tracking still says it hasn't made it to the U.S. yet? Did you use DHL tracking?

Just got mine today. It came at a bad time though. No my Lynx didn't catch on fire or something. It's the start of maple syrup season. So I would be quite busy in the woods most of the time for the week or 2 and I would be too tired by the time I get back in the house to do anything that requires concentration like soldering in new LCD.

I ordered mine on 2/24 and DHL tracking still says it hasn't made it to the U.S. yet? Did you use DHL tracking?

No - I never bothered with tracking it. I've been unbelievable busy with work and personal issues, so I almost forgot I had ordered it. I just got a nice surprise today.

• Like 1

Update: woke up feeling refreshed, decided I can spare a few hours before I go back to sleep for the morning sap run. The project took me about 1 hour from initial disassembly to removing unneeded parts to wiring to checking it twice to reassembly. It was a pain in the butt to reassemble it with 2 LCDs inside.

The first time I turned it on, I got no picture. Sound worked as normal, and some glow from the seam around Lynx shell but no image on the front.

Was I supposed to remove the old LCD first? :D The instruction made no mention of removing the old LCD first.

Kidding aside, I did remove the old LCD first and set it aside. The Lynx worked on the first try.

So one hour work time if one's fairly experienced with soldering and has decent solder iron and good desoldering tool. I could probably do it in 45 minutes if I turned off the TV and kept my cats out.

• Like 2

mine came today also but not yet installed. tracking didn't with for mine after it left Germany and not till a few hours after deliver did it update on both dhl an usps. just a heads up to anyone who might still be waiting

• Like 2

I got around to doing my mod last night. Took me just little over an hour from start to finish.

All in all everything looks awesome. If your on the fence about getting one of these kits, my advice is just go for it. Who knows how long these will be available. Plus if your not comfortable installing it yourself there are tons of ppl here on AA that would assist.

post-23428-0-48687100-1426080950_thumb.jpg

post-23428-0-00756300-1426080956_thumb.jpg

post-23428-0-22568100-1426080961_thumb.jpg

Is there a guide for cracking the Lynx-2 case open? That's the only part I am not sure about.

Quick guide:

- peel off the rubber grips on the back

- remove screws beneath them

- open battery cover and remove screw inside battery compartment

- case halves and battery tray will come apart at this point

• Like 1